or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ableskivers

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

I acquired a Griswold Ableskiver pan a while ago and never had or heard of them before. I found a recipe on http://allrecipes.com/recipe/aebleskiver/. They are a Danish puff pancake and are really good. I added the batter to the holes in the pan about 1/8" from the top. The Ableskivers start to cook immediately and you start to slowly turn over as they cook with a wooden skewer. These were plain but next time I will add apples or blueberries.

 

 

First turn, they eventually get rotated 180 degrees.

 

 

Final position.

 

 

Best eaten hot. I think a frosting/glaze would be good.

 

I know ....not for the smoker but thanks for looking.

post #2 of 15

OK, those look really good, I've never seen anything like that.  The pan looks like it's one piece, do those pockets go to the bottom?  Are the pancakes hollow when they're done? It's great that you picked up the pan without knowing what it's for, I would have looked at it and said "hey, that's cool, I wonder what it's for?" then just moved on.

 

Thanks for sharing this. 

post #3 of 15
Quote:

 

 

First turn, they eventually get rotated 180 degrees.

 

 

Best eaten hot. I think a frosting/glaze would be good.

 

I know ....not for the smoker but thanks for looking.

 

At first point, before turned into a ball, add chopped pulled pork, or smoked salmon, or whatever. Wonderful!

 

Ableskivers are for both sweet or savory recipes.

 

dcarch

post #4 of 15
Looks great Todd! I was just looking at mine thinking it was time to make a batch or two. I like apple or peach added to mine!
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSwede View Post
 

OK, those look really good, I've never seen anything like that.  The pan looks like it's one piece, do those pockets go to the bottom?  Are the pancakes hollow when they're done? It's great that you picked up the pan without knowing what it's for, I would have looked at it and said "hey, that's cool, I wonder what it's for?" then just moved on.

 

Thanks for sharing this. 

The pan is hollow underneath and almost go to the bottom but do not quite touch the stove. The better you get at cooking them the less hollow they are. I had some whole and some hollow so it probably doesn't take make practice.

post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarch View Post
 
Quote:

 

 

First turn, they eventually get rotated 180 degrees.

 

 

Best eaten hot. I think a frosting/glaze would be good.

 

I know ....not for the smoker but thanks for looking.

 

At first point, before turned into a ball, add chopped pulled pork, or smoked salmon, or whatever. Wonderful!

 

Ableskivers are for both sweet or savory recipes.

 

dcarch


I don't know about meat but I'm going to try my meat injector and see how whipped cream or cream cheese will go through it.

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Looks great Todd! I was just looking at mine thinking it was time to make a batch or two. I like apple or peach added to mine!


Thanks Case! I like these I have some experimenting to do.

post #8 of 15

That is really cool Todd, never seen or heard of those before, but all kinds of fill the hole ideas immediately came to mind. First was some of Pop's sausage!!

 

Thank you sir for sharing.

post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 

Dcarch, at first I was thinking all the sweet stuff but after what you and Foam said I think breakfast sausage would be great! Like pigs in a blanket type of thing. Brown the sausage first and then toss it right in when they are partially open yet. Thanks!

post #10 of 15

Todd, thanks for posting something different!

 

Disco

post #11 of 15

Woodcutter thanks for posting about the Ableskivers pan. I have collected quite a bit of Griswold and Wagner ware over the years. I have one of these pans and did not know what it was used for. If you don't mind what kind of mixture did you use to make your Ableskivers. Thanks again for your post, you just never know what you are going to find on this forum.   Tom

post #12 of 15

I need to read better, seen the place where you got your recipe, will go there . Thanks again.

post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Kan View Post
 

I need to read better, seen the place where you got your recipe, will go there . Thanks again.


No problem. I have run across Aebleskiver or "monk pans" for a long time and didn't know what they were for. You'll find Aebleskiver is spelled many different ways, even starting with an "E".

post #14 of 15

Man this forum is costing me waayy to much money! :icon_wink:

post #15 of 15

Yeah! And calories!!!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dutch Oven Recipes