Here is my plan:
- Rub - last night I put the rub on it. Found it online, never used it before. No injection.
3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili
1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- Cold Smoker Attachment -Smoke a full tower of hickory chips, probably 6 hours worth.
- When chips run out leave it - I don't want a bitter flavor, which I've heard is an issue with hickory. I hope 6 hours is enough. I thought about mixing with apple chips 50/50, but I've never used hickory so I want to get the full effect this first time.
- Temp in Box - Goal is a 225' so might have to set it for 235'-240'. I use a remote Maverick 732 Redi Chek thermometer
- BTW, I'm not separating the point and flat prior. Will probably do burnt ends with the point. That would also be a first.
- Texas Crutch - Really don't want to wrap it and want to just push through the stall since I've got time, but am concerned about drying out. I like a nice hard bark. I keep reading that everybody wraps so I might. Still deciding.
- Mop - had SWMBO get some apple juice while she was out but not sure I'm gonna use it. If i do, I'll spray it every two hours or so. We'll see.
- Jus - No joke, I did not know jus with brisket was a thing until today. I've got a long way to go on all this but I had SWMBO get some drip pans too so I'm gonna catch those tasty drops and try to do something with them. No time or inclination right now to do the full on fancy with veggies and red wine and all that but I plan to another time.
-Temp - plan to pull it off at 190 IT or so. I'm going to use two therms so I'll have temps on the point and the flat.
- Cooler - I'm going to heat water and pour in my cooler to get the insulation and wall temp up so it's not sucking heat from my meat, then put some old towels inside, wrap meat in foil a couple times, then wrap in towels, place in tin pan, layer on top with towels, and let it sit. I'm still going to keep my therm inside to monitor IT temp. If it gets too low (since this is for dinner) I'll just pull and put in fridge and reheat.
- Eat it!!!!
That's the plan. Forgot to take my prep pics of trimming extra fat and whatnot, but I'll update as I go.