or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Announcements › Roll Call › Hi from Massachusetts!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hi from Massachusetts!

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Hello all! Just checking in!

 

We started raising meat chickens about a year ago and are thinking about starting some turkeys this year.

 

Got me thinking that I might want to build a nice smoker in the yard! I see lots of good info here on all types of equipment and some great recipes too!

Looking forward to checking out all these delicious looking forums. :drool

 

Thanks for having me :icon_mrgreen:

 

IdasChickens

post #2 of 16
Welcome to Smoking Meat Forums Ida- I think you'll find our poultry section most useful. Hope you don't limit your smoking to just yardbirds, beef and pork are great on the smoker as well.

I tried to raise chickens several years ago and gave it up; seems like every chick that I bought were roosters and the City ordanance didn't allow roosters.
post #3 of 16

Welcome to SMF. Where in MA are you?

post #4 of 16

Welcome to the forum, this is one great site for help and great recipes. I have enjoyed it over the last two years and I have gotten much help when needed. Dont be afraid to ask.

 

Craig

post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

Welcome to Smoking Meat Forums Ida- I think you'll find our poultry section most useful. Hope you don't limit your smoking to just yardbirds, beef and pork are great on the smoker as well.

I tried to raise chickens several years ago and gave it up; seems like every chick that I bought were roosters and the City ordanance didn't allow roosters.


Thanks for the Welcome, Dutch! Glad to be here!

 

I am definitely going to smoke and grill as many different kinds meats as possible.

 

We also have a flock of ducks; Blue Swedish and Mallards. I am pretty excited about trying out some duck...gotta get that smoker built first though!

I must say, the ducks are a LOT quieter than the chickens and roos. A lot less drama too (as long as it's not mating season!) and they are MUCH more hardy during the winter months.

 

Some day, when I'm feeling brave, I might try raising a pig, BUT for now...the birds are enough of a handful! I also have a "Cow and Pig Guy" out further in the country who sells whole pigs and such :yahoo: ...so that works good for me! Cheaper, too.

 

It's a bummer about city ordinances and roosters. Those Roos can be a nuisance....UNLESS they end up in the freezer. And if they go to the freezer, shouldn't be a problem too much.  Usually by the time I here a "Cock-doodle..."; into the pot they go. And MOST of the time, it is hard to even tell they are roosters before that point. But, I do agree, it seems that there are always way more cockerels in a hatch than there are pullets. I found the best solution for me, was to get a bunch of day old chicks and cull out the meaties. I live in the country though, so unfortunately, not everyone has this option...

 

They also have older pullets available through the web, I'm sure you are probably already aware. WAY more expensive...

 

Anyway, can't wait to get a nice looking smoker out there! This site is sure to come in handy.

 

Best,

IdasChickens


Edited by IdasChickens - 7/14/14 at 9:32am
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke slinger View Post
 

Welcome to the forum, this is one great site for help and great recipes. I have enjoyed it over the last two years and I have gotten much help when needed. Dont be afraid to ask.

 

Craig


Thank you kindly for the Welcome, Craig!

 

I'm looking forward to using this site a bunch to get me all set up with a sweet smoker out front! Some great recipes on here too, I see. I'm going try some out right away on our chickens!

 

Forgot to add: If there is good place for me to start on this site, something you would recommend...I'm open for suggestions. I'm already off to check out the "poultry" section. There is a lot of info on here! :biggrin: Thanks!

 

Ida


Edited by IdasChickens - 7/14/14 at 9:40am
post #7 of 16

Hey anytime. One of the recipes I got off here and every time we have a gathering on my wife's side of the family they want them and that is Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans. I have always followed the recipe except for I used the crushed pineapple and cut it back a little. But let me tell you that they are really good and so glad Dutch shared it with us. Another that puts up some good post on his smokes is Bear Carver.

 

Craig

post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTrain74 View Post
 

Welcome to SMF. Where in MA are you?


Hi, BigTrain74! Thanks for the Welcome!

 

We live on the Southwick/Westfield border. City and Quiet all at the same time.

 

Massachusetts is so small in comparison to most of the country. After living in Florida for many years, it seems like everyone out here knows each other!

 

Are you in the area also?

post #9 of 16

Very cool! Yeah, I live in Springfield. have been there for 5 years now. 

post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke slinger View Post
 

Hey anytime. One of the recipes I got off here and every time we have a gathering on my wife's side of the family they want them and that is Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans. I have always followed the recipe except for I used the crushed pineapple and cut it back a little. But let me tell you that they are really good and so glad Dutch shared it with us. Another that puts up some good post on his smokes is Bear Carver.

 

Craig


Excellent! Thank you!

 

Ida

post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTrain74 View Post
 

Very cool! Yeah, I live in Springfield. have been there for 5 years now. 


It is a very nice area. I am somewhat familiar with the downtown areas of Springfield...had some family living out there awhile back.

You must have been out there for the tornado? Or did you miss it? Was certainly a big deal, not having too much weather like that in this area. Had me scared and I wasn't even in the city (next town over) at that time!

 

On a better note; I recently "discovered" Impocos Poultry Market (West Springfield, I think...they are on Facebook)...what a find> Brought in a bunch of roos we raised out of a package of ducklings (they came as "packaging peanuts")...they did em' all in 30 minuets for a fair price! Now, my freezer is full!

Not to sound too much like a commercial, but: It is such a nice deal to have a butcher so close, who will take care of the "dirty work"  in raising chickens when I don't feel like doing it myself (which is most of the time!) A lot of people don't have that luxury...So, I'm very thankful for it. Took me "forever" to find someone who could regularly dispatch poultry for me.

 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to sharing ideas and info with others on this site!

Good to meet you, BigTrain

 

IdasChickens


Edited by IdasChickens - 7/14/14 at 10:33am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdasChickens View Post
 


It is a very nice area. I am somewhat familiar with the downtown areas of Springfield...had some family living out there awhile back.

You must have been out there for the tornado? Or did you miss it? Was certainly a big deal, not having too much weather like that in this area. Had me scared and I wasn't even in the city (next town over) at that time!

 

On a better note; I recently "discovered" Impocos Poultry Market (West Springfield, I think...they are on Facebook)...what a find> Brought in a bunch of roos we raised out of a package of ducklings (they came as "packaging peanuts")...they did em' all in 30 minuets for a fair price! Now, my freezer is full!

It is such a nice deal to have a butcher so close, who will take care of the "dirty work"  in raising chickens when I don't feel like doing it myself (which is most of the time!) A lot of people don't have that luxury...So, I'm very thankful for that.

 

I think the family will be really excited to get a smoker going, especially during those cold months! They are getting a bit tired of chicken pot pie.

 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to sharing ideas and info with others on this site!

Good to meet you, BigTrain

 

IdasChickens

I live in the East Forrest Park 16 acres area. The tornado missed my house be about 600 yards. We were very lucky! 

Thats cool about the poultry market. I never stopped in there though. I need to give it a shot. 

I have a pellet cooker which is not horrible for the colder months. The family says they are lucky to have me cook for them. I say Im lucky to be able to cook for them!

 

You won't get tired of trying recipes from members on here. Always a good time. I hope to see you do a throwdown when they do them again on here. 

 

Be well my friend!

 

~Tony

post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTrain74 View Post
 

I live in the East Forrest Park 16 acres area. The tornado missed my house be about 600 yards. We were very lucky! 

Thats cool about the poultry market. I never stopped in there though. I need to give it a shot. 

I have a pellet cooker which is not horrible for the colder months. The family says they are lucky to have me cook for them. I say Im lucky to be able to cook for them!

 

You won't get tired of trying recipes from members on here. Always a good time. I hope to see you do a throwdown when they do them again on here. 

 

Be well my friend!

 

~Tony


Wow. So glad you all made it through safe! It is still the talk of the town out here, as you know, even years later. 

 

I'm not sure what a throwdown is, but I'll be sure to check it out! Sounds like lots of fun! :biggrin:

 

Take care!

 

Ida


Edited by IdasChickens - 7/14/14 at 12:11pm
post #14 of 16

Hello and welcome to the forum, be waiting to see your smoker build

 

Gary S

post #15 of 16

First...welcome Ida.  I've only been on this forum for a few weeks, but already have found it very helpful and informative.  You should find it very useful.

 

 

Ida...I'm right down the road from you in Enfield CT.  That tornado was something else.  Could see it from Enfield on Rt 91.  My parents live in Brimfield, and their farm took a direct hit.  Lost their barn, storage buildings, etc.... but their house was saved...luckily.  I was out there all Summer helping to clean up, clearing brush, cutting up trees, sifting through debris...unlike anything I have ever seen.  Glad you guys made it through OK.

 

Sorry to hijack your post Ida.  Lol.

post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdasChickens View Post
 


Hi, BigTrain74! Thanks for the Welcome!

 

We live on the Southwick/Westfield border. City and Quiet all at the same time.

 

Massachusetts is so small in comparison to most of the country. After living in Florida for many years, it seems like everyone out here knows each other!

 

Are you in the area also?


Hi guys I live in South Hadley way cool to find people close buy. I just bought a smoker and haven't smoked yet..like to keep in-touch with you guys my e-mail is (1falcon@comcast.net) Good smoking to you both...Tom

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Roll Call
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Announcements › Roll Call › Hi from Massachusetts!