So today was my second time smoking after a moderate success yesterday. Today I did baby back ribs with a rub and sauce using the 2-2-1 method, lump mesquite coal and apple chunks.
I was having a hard time keeping a clean fire burning for the first two hours. Luckily my Maverick 733 came in the mail right then. I put the probes in the smoker and found the original thermometer to be reading 70*F high. I had been cooking just under 200*f when I thought I was at 260*. I am also using a new fire basket that I made this morning that might have slightly too fine of a mesh to let air flow well once the coals start to burn down. I kept the ribs wrapped a bit longer to compensate for the low temps I started with. The results were excellent.
I'm using foil until the gasket material I ordered shows up.
Rubbed and ready.
Done, with some bacon greased and rubbed potatoes.
Really happy for a first attempt.