or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Community › Food Safety › bad chicken
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

bad chicken - Page 2

post #21 of 32

I don't like where this thread is going.

 

A member who posted in Post #2 reflects my views and my practices.

 

As to the rest of it?

 

PMs will be considered.

 

Other than that?

 

Venture is "over and out".

 

Good luck and good smoking.

post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicsmoke View Post

So let me get this right: there is unanimity here that we should not expect meat free of crap from the industry - that we just have to cook/cure the hell out of it?

So recalling contaminated meat is a waste of time and profit? They should just mark it down?

Wow. That's a strange world to live in. I prefer Dave's definition of socialism (LOL) where a corporation is held responsible for making people sick or killing them. So I can enjoy some sushi and carpaccio once in a while.

 

You miss understand, Yes I expect all those government officials to do their assigned jobs that my taxes dollars are paying for. I expect a President to know that a BJ under the desk is sex too, do I think the people smart enough to fulfill my expectations flawlessly? LOL I don't expect anyone to do their job, and oddly enough I am not disappointed more times than not.

 

Its when you start "assuming" someone else is going to take care of you that you make an .....well you know the saying.

 

If I open a bag of pork that is well within its due date and it smells, should I eat it because it says it should be good or trash it.

 

I believe in common sense trumps the government in all safety policies.

post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post

You miss understand, Yes I expect all those government officials to do their assigned jobs that my taxes dollars are paying for. I expect a President to know that a BJ under the desk is sex too, do I think the people smart enough to fulfill my expectations flawlessly? LOL I don't expect anyone to do their job, and oddly enough I am not disappointed more times than not.

Its when you start "assuming" someone else is going to take care of you that you make an .....well you know the saying.

If I open a bag of pork that is well within its due date and it smells, should I eat it because it says it should be good or trash it.

I believe in common sense trumps the government in all safety policies.
For some reason the government word makes its way in every reply without me bringing it up.


If all meat purveyors would be as bad as the one in the OP we would all be dead.
post #24 of 32
Foam my friend. Love you buddy. If you ate vegetables or fruit this week that came from overseas, or used spices in your rubs, you most likely ate an irradiated product. It is already used to reduce spoilage on food imported to the US. There are labeling requirements but like anything else there are ways around it.

Irradiation of food, which is consumables exposed to ionizing rays from Cobalt 60, is often confused with radioactive contamination from Plutonium or Uraniun, and that is the reason folks have not embraced it in the US. The astronauts eat irradiated food every day. It has been approved as safe by the FDA, WHO, CDC, USDA, and ME (couldn't resist). Not all foods can be irradiated but in the spirit of this thread, chicken would be safer if irradiated.
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicsmoke View Post

So let me get this right: there is unanimity here that we should not expect meat free of crap from the industry - that we just have to cook/cure the hell out of it?

So recalling contaminated meat is a waste of time and profit? They should just mark it down?

Wow. That's a strange world to live in. I prefer Dave's definition of socialism (LOL) where a corporation is held responsible for making people sick or killing them. So I can enjoy some sushi and carpaccio once in a while.



Hey...... I figured you were on here deliberately taking the "controversial" side of situations...... I was playing into your lead...

By the way, the FDA does not consider salmonella a contaminant.... that is why they had no action against FFs..... Just like botulism is not a contaminant.... Only when food is processed at home, and improper food handling practices get involved, do they pose a problem......

Fair enough....... canada-flag-14.gif long live Canada..... Our ONLY neighbor that's dependable, to be on our side......
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noboundaries View Post

Foam my friend. Love you buddy. If you ate vegetables or fruit this week that came from overseas, or used spices in your rubs, you most likely ate an irradiated product. It is already used to reduce spoilage on food imported to the US. There are labeling requirements but like anything else there are ways around it.

Irradiation of food, which is consumables exposed to ionizing rays from Cobalt 60, is often confused with radioactive contamination from Plutonium or Uraniun, and that is the reason folks have not embraced it in the US. The astronauts eat irradiated food every day. It has been approved as safe by the FDA, WHO, CDC, USDA, and ME (couldn't resist). Not all foods can be irradiated but in the spirit of this thread, chicken would be safer if irradiated.

 

It is a discussion and not an argument. A simple disagreement.

 

I do understand, I also watched 'em use effluent water in their fields in Chihuahua. Its doesn't mean I want it that way. I know the Tyson plant in Ft.Smith. actually adds back a % of the chlorine to the packaging of the chicken. They wash 'em with the water "with antibotics" then use a percentage of that wash water when packaging the chicken. That's were that 3% added liquid comes from in the cryo bag. It doesn't mean I have to like it. I have plucked enough chickens to realize that if regular folks had to, there would be a lot less chicken on the Sunday table.

 

My problem is with radiation. I understand that cobat is nothing like uranium/plutonium or graphite for that matter.  I am telling you none of it is good, yes all is safe when used stored and protected.  There is nothing idiot proof. Its a fairly old event in a world measured by the longevity of computers. They are still stockpiling burnt rods in nearly every power plant, and driving around the ones that violate the AEC's storage requirements. I Sold piping and containment drums at the WIPP site. There is no good way to date to erase, destroy, or get rid of a poison that will never die.

 

They are trying to furnish food from too far away because its more profitable, they are trying to make it last until marginable to make more profit, the quality goes down and the profits go up. I remember when my Pop sounded like this and I laughed at him. The older I get the smarter he becomes. But don't tell him.

 

I'll get off my box. I understand why in the beginning, but I don't know why when so much more is understood. Pfft.... I mean what... tracking devices subcutaneously on a pet? 

 

This is smoking food, I apologize for the hijack. I am done.

post #27 of 32

Big handshake and smiles all around.  Back to smoking meat.  :grilling_smilie:

post #28 of 32
Getting close!CF89FA55-5F46-4C51-B9EA-4374A3A10D97.jpg
post #29 of 32
Oops. Wrong place.
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture View Post
 

I think the real resistance would come from the public.

 

The meat producers have already embraced cryopaking meat.  They realize that it provides them more flexibility in storage, shipping, and time on the store shelf.  Less waste and a safer product mean more profit for the packer and the store.

 

If the packers and retailers see irradiation as a risk to their profit they should not.  Look at their current costs of waste, fines from the regulatory agencies, and the consumer lawsuits. 

 

On the other hand, mention irradiation in Berkeley and Katy bar the door!

 

None of this addresses the fact that the biggest part of the problem is improper handling and preparation by the consumer.  How many shoppers do you see placing meat in their carts and continuing to shop for extended times.  Then out to the hot car.  I would hate to see what actually happens in their kitchen.

 

Good luck and good smoking.

 

Many have also been using Post Pasteurization for sliced meats, extending the shelf life dramatically... another article here. sort of old news but many of my customers have been using this method.

post #31 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicsmoke View Post


The email to CDC was sent following a post regarding meat left in the trunk.

Outbreaks happen when slaughterhouses/ meat packers AND schools/hospitals/restos screw up. They all have a responsibility , not just the end of the supply chain serving the food.

Yes I remember that thread

post #32 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT View Post

Oops. Wrong place.

:biggrin:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food Safety
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Community › Food Safety › bad chicken