or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Wild Game › Venison Backstrap Dried Beef
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Venison Backstrap Dried Beef - Page 2

post #21 of 38

Fantastic, I've had some from a Butcher in Pa at a Sportshow  in Jersey but couldn't get  the recipe.  I concocted my own but wasn't quite the same. I'm definitely going to give this a try. Thank you.

post #22 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyhunter View Post
 

Fantastic, I've had some from a Butcher in Pa at a Sportshow  in Jersey but couldn't get  the recipe.  I concocted my own but wasn't quite the same. I'm definitely going to give this a try. Thank you.

 

That's Great JerseyHunter!!

 

This stuff will taste just like you get from SE PA Butcher Shops.

 

Here's another one from the Hind Quarters:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/101317/smoked-venison-dried-beef

 

 

 

Bear

 

post #23 of 38
Wow Bear, this is awesome.... If I'am fortunate enough to get a deer this fall, I know I have to give this a go ! drool.gif
post #24 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterinHoleBrew View Post

Wow Bear, this is awesome.... If I'am fortunate enough to get a deer this fall, I know I have to give this a go ! drool.gif

 

You'll get one!!  I know it !!

 

 

Bear

post #25 of 38
Bear, have you noticed you need to take deer blackstrap to a higher temp than beef eye of round. Last beef I did I pulled at 155, amazing. I pulled this deer at 153, and the flavor was good, but it was a touch soft/mushy. Would taking it to a higher temp (160+ like you did) help firm it up a bit?
post #26 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jirod View Post

Bear, have you noticed you need to take deer blackstrap to a higher temp than beef eye of round. Last beef I did I pulled at 155, amazing. I pulled this deer at 153, and the flavor was good, but it was a touch soft/mushy. Would taking it to a higher temp (160+ like you did) help firm it up a bit?

 

Actually it's good to take Beef & Deer up to about 158*---160* IT or higher. Higher certainly doesn't hurt, within reason.

I just looked at all my Dried Beef & Venison Dried Beef smokes, and I generally pull at 158* to 160* IT, but when I check the rest of the pieces with my Thermapen, they range anywhere from 153* to 172*. 

So yes---If you have the time, go to 160* or 170* IT on your thickest piece. It certainly won't hurt, and should eliminate any pieces having soft or mushy spots.

I would do that myself, but I don't want my favorite sammies to be too dry, like with the store bought stuff.

Holding it at 160* IT could firm it up some too.

 

 

Bear

post #27 of 38

Bear,

I have the same thing working in my brine right now. I started it yesterday and by chance I was wondering if it was going to turn out ok, and then I ran across your thread today searching to see if anyone had done it this way before. I was pleased and suprised that I had prepared mine darn near exactly like you had, so I guess you guys taught me good...thanks fellah. I'll post up some pictures in about 10 days after it gets some hickory smoke.

 

Dexter / HT

post #28 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoity Toit View Post
 

Bear,

I have the same thing working in my brine right now. I started it yesterday and by chance I was wondering if it was going to turn out ok, and then I ran across your thread today searching to see if anyone had done it this way before. I was pleased and suprised that I had prepared mine darn near exactly like you had, so I guess you guys taught me good...thanks fellah. I'll post up some pictures in about 10 days after it gets some hickory smoke.

 

Dexter / HT


That's Great Dexter!!!Thumbs Up

 

Hit me with a PM when you Post your thread, so I don't miss it. I hate missing Great threads!!

 

 

Bear

post #29 of 38
Bearcarver, I made 10 pounds of your backstrap dried beef. There will be no more store bought if I can help it. The family loves Creamed dried beef on toast. Your recipe is the best we have ever eaten.
I thin sliced and crumbled the meat and added it to the water I used to make the country gravy mix (I took the quick easy way out). After the meat simmered for a while to pull out some of the flavor, I mixed the gravy in. OMG what a fabulous meal. Sorry no Q-views.Thank you for sharing.
post #30 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubles Shooter View Post

Bearcarver, I made 10 pounds of your backstrap dried beef. There will be no more store bought if I can help it. The family loves Creamed dried beef on toast. Your recipe is the best we have ever eaten.
I thin sliced and crumbled the meat and added it to the water I used to make the country gravy mix (I took the quick easy way out). After the meat simmered for a while to pull out some of the flavor, I mixed the gravy in. OMG what a fabulous meal. Sorry no Q-views.Thank you for sharing.

 

 

Thank You Bob!!

I'm glad you like it !!

 

Now you have to try my favorite cold Sandwich:

Just lather up a couple slices of "Fresh" white or Italian bread with Miracle Whip (or Mayo if you prefer).

Then throw some Thin sliced Dried Beef in and a slice or 2 of American Cheese.

Add some Horse Radish or substitute Horse Radish Spread for the Mayo.

 

I used to eat two Sammies like that every day until I ran out of Dried Beef. (At work, hunting, or fishing)

 

And Thanks for the Point.

 

Bear

post #31 of 38
Bear, those Sammys were the first things I made. They were as good if not better than you said. I've got the backstraps from 5 more deer in the freezer waiting their turn.
post #32 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubles Shooter View Post

Bear, those Sammys were the first things I made. They were as good if not better than you said. I've got the backstraps from 5 more deer in the freezer waiting their turn.


That's Great, Bob!!

 

You'll be stocked up real good !!!

 

Bear

post #33 of 38
Blackstrap and tenderloin are in two different places. They look the same but tenderloin is smaller. BTW I tried smoking one I needed to cook, I wish I had read these posts first! I put it in my smoker at 225 for 4 hours and took it out at 2 1/2 hours due to reading a post and my internal was at 155!!! Ugh medium well :-(
Flavor was great, I had wrapped completely in bacon and sprinkled with kosher salt and cracked pepper. Anyone have a recipe to use leftover done venison????
post #34 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouchsh View Post

Blackstrap and tenderloin are in two different places. They look the same but tenderloin is smaller. BTW I tried smoking one I needed to cook, I wish I had read these posts first! I put it in my smoker at 225 for 4 hours and took it out at 2 1/2 hours due to reading a post and my internal was at 155!!! Ugh medium well :-(
Flavor was great, I had wrapped completely in bacon and sprinkled with kosher salt and cracked pepper. Anyone have a recipe to use leftover done venison????


Hmmmm---Never had any that well done---Is it edible if you slice it real thin & add gravy?

Maybe like a "Hot Roast Beef Sammy with Gravy"??

 

If not---Got a dog? They don't care if it's too well done.

 

 

Bear


Edited by Bearcarver - 4/27/16 at 2:23pm
post #35 of 38

Let's see, great qview. Super step by step instructions. Great looking dried venison. Other than that the post is just ok.

 

Points to the Master!

 

Disco

post #36 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
 

Let's see, great qview. Super step by step instructions. Great looking dried venison. Other than that the post is just ok.

 

Points to the Master!

 

Disco


Thank You Disco!!

Glad you like it !

And Thanks for the Points!!

 

Bear

post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post

LOL---Thanks for the kind words!!

As soon as you caught me I thought of all the times I told people to use Pork Loins, not Tenderloins for CB
The ones that are almost 2' long & weigh about 10 pounds.

Ever since my Surgery, my thinker doesn't work right all the time. It's OK most of the time, but not all the time.

That's why I like guys keeping an eye on what I say. I hate giving wrong answers!!!

Bear
[/quote
I use the loins as you suggested. No bad reviews from me on those! I send a lot of people to your Step by steps. Everything I've done based on your recipes has been amazing!
post #38 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RODNGUN View Post
 
Quote:

[/quote
I use the loins as you suggested. No bad reviews from me on those! I send a lot of people to your Step by steps. Everything I've done based on your recipes has been amazing!

 

Thank You RODNGUN !!

I Appreciate that !!

 

Bear

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Wild Game
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Wild Game › Venison Backstrap Dried Beef