or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Announcements › Roll Call › New to smoking
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New to smoking

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I new to smoking I've been grilling for ever and have grilled everything from frozen pizza to steaks. I bought a Brinkmann Trailmaster Vertical smoker. Haven't smoked anything yet, but did season it. This weekend I plan on trying my first smoking any ideas?
post #2 of 13

chicken thighs are a good first choice. What did you wind up smoking? 

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Sorry I wasn't referring to this weekend it will be this coming weekend.
post #4 of 13

Hey

 

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

 

Gary

post #5 of 13

WelcomeSmoker 69! I am new to 'que as well and did my 1st smoke yesterday. I have a 34" lanmann smokey mountain propane smoker. I decided on doing a 6.5lb boston butt for my cherry popper and it came out AMAZINGLY. I would recommend doing one of those but plan on it taking a while. I started mine at 7am yesterday morning and ended up not having as much time as I would have liked by dinner @ 6pm but it all still came out amazingly. Good luck to you and I hope to see some delicious 'que coming from your direction!

post #6 of 13
Welcome 69! I'm new here as well, but an experienced smoker. For first cooks, I'd suggest chicken pieces. Thighs are an excellent choice, and what I'll be doing on the 4th. If you're up for a longer cook go for the pork butt, but do your research first. Not that it's complicated, but that there are some tips and tricks out there and little details to be aware of (like the temperature plateau that freaks people out the first time). Look up the step-by-steps posted by Bearcarver.
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecificImpulse View Post

Welcome 69! I'm new here as well, but an experienced smoker. For first cooks, I'd suggest chicken pieces. Thighs are an excellent choice, and what I'll be doing on the 4th. If you're up for a longer cook go for the pork butt, but do your research first. Not that it's complicated, but that there are some tips and tricks out there and little details to be aware of (like the temperature plateau that freaks people out the first time). Look up the step-by-steps posted by Bearcarver.


That "stall" will get you every time! I hit it yesterday and it lasted for 2hrs @ 150 and another 1.5hrs @ 160 but climbed steadily after that! Thankfully I had done my research and knew what to expect, but it was still nerve wracking as dinner time drew closer and my stomach rumbled more and more lol

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
On chicken to you put skin up or down?
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker 69 View Post

On chicken to you put skin up or down?

Depends on the technique you're using. There is a muffin tin method due to Myron Mixon where you'd put the skin down, one thigh per muffin cup. I'm doing a Chris Lilly recipe from his new book (Fire & Smoke) where you put 8 rubbed thighs skin up in a 9x13 pan and pour a butter based braising liquid around them. Had this recipe last weekend and was incredibly good.  You could also put them directly on the rack skin side up -- use a nice rub and baste with sauce during the last 15 minutes or so.

post #10 of 13

No idea but I know when I roast chicken I prefer skin up, that way it gets nice and crispy. If you do it face down, all the juices run down the sides and keep the skin slimy and soft.

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffney982 View Post
 

No idea but I know when I roast chicken I prefer skin up, that way it gets nice and crispy. If you do it face down, all the juices run down the sides and keep the skin slimy and soft.

This is a great way to start with chicken:  http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2012/02/slap-yo-daddy-jailbird-bbq-chicken-so-good-youll-go-to-jail-if-you-make-it/

 

I like to do chicken at slightly higher temps to ensure a "bite through" skin -- 275-300 works for me. You also want to watch the smoke -- a little bit goes a long way.  I'll typically do a single chunk of cherry in my WSM when doing chicken.  Love cherry wood for chicken.

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecificImpulse View Post
 

This is a great way to start with chicken:  http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2012/02/slap-yo-daddy-jailbird-bbq-chicken-so-good-youll-go-to-jail-if-you-make-it/

 

I like to do chicken at slightly higher temps to ensure a "bite through" skin -- 275-300 works for me. You also want to watch the smoke -- a little bit goes a long way.  I'll typically do a single chunk of cherry in my WSM when doing chicken.  Love cherry wood for chicken.


That looks good buddy, I'm gonna give that chicken recipe a try!

post #13 of 13

Hello and welcome from East Texas, Chicken is a good starter, Cheap, and easy to smoke. That way you can get the feel of your new smoker before you jump on a long smoke, Here is som chicken I did in February I posted for another member

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Roll Call
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Announcements › Roll Call › New to smoking