or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Tomatoes › Going to gert a lot of Tomatoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Going to gert a lot of Tomatoes - Page 2

post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf1936 View Post

The right soil is very important for a good crop of tomatoes, (but I guess that true for all crops). I am always trying to learn. I bought a ph meter and check the soil when ever I add to the garden. Tomatoes like ph 5.5 to 6.8. Early in the year I was getting big plants and few flowers. I was told to add bone meal, which I did and started to get flowers.

Hmmm? That's interesting I just got a new water treatment system over the winter and they told me my well was very alkaline. I always used the untreated water to give the plants a drink. Maybe I should give them a few sips of the good stuff?
post #22 of 29
Thread Starter 
Having fun with this post. How about on Aug 1st we post a photo of 6 of our best tomatoes in a bowl/platter with the name of each type. Anybody in?

Joe
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf1936 View Post

Having fun with this post. How about on Aug 1st we post a photo of 6 of our best tomatoes in a bowl/platter with the name of each type. Anybody in?

Joe

Not a fair test I only have 16k plants with only one type of tomatoes where do I get the other 5 types.hahahahahahahahahahah 

post #24 of 29
Thread Starter 
I know what you mean. I am here in the Sacramento valley of Ca., soon there will be hundreds of tomato loaded truck taking them to the major canneries.
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf1936 View Post

The right soil is very important for a good crop of tomatoes, (but I guess that true for all crops). I am always trying to learn. I bought a ph meter and check the soil when ever I add to the garden. Tomatoes like ph 5.5 to 6.8. Early in the year I was getting big plants and few flowers. I was told to add bone meal, which I did and started to get flowers.

 

My soil has high phosphorus already so can't use it as that is all Bone Meal is pretty much. Our soil is high pH, more in the 7.5 area now and still trying to lower it with Sulfur, but this takes time. Still we get some nice maters, although this year too much rain has shorten our season. I think I have only 7 more to go before I pull them up.

post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandl93 View Post
 

Buy a 50 lb bag of the cheapest dog food you can find.Next time you plant your tomato plants, put 3 cups of dog food at the bottom of your holes.The dog food will break down alittle at a time giving great nutrients to your plants all season.

 

Do Not let your dogs watch you plant hahahahahahha

 

Dan 

 

gonna have to try that. LOL

post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
 

 

My soil has high phosphorus already so can't use it as that is all Bone Meal is pretty much. Our soil is high pH, more in the 7.5 area now and still trying to lower it with Sulfur, but this takes time. Still we get some nice maters, although this year too much rain has shorten our season. I think I have only 7 more to go before I pull them up.

 

 

 

this was last week... yep, one almost ripe cherry tomato! Hopefully, August first I will have a better picture! 

 

Dan, I like the dog food idea too! I will try that one next year, but I am a little concerned about my assistant gardeners

post #28 of 29

I have heard you can add 2 Tblsps of Vinegar to water and that will help lower pH. Might have to try that one also.

post #29 of 29
Thread Starter 

The Indigo Rose Tomatoes are looking good, still no ripe

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tomatoes
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Tomatoes › Going to gert a lot of Tomatoes