or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Small Spaces › The Mountain Garden Is Looking Good
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Mountain Garden Is Looking Good - Page 2

post #21 of 32

Yeah, I know, I just have a backyard garden, but we like so many different things I just don't have room. I can't plant much because it takes up so much room but I have to always plant  some corn.

We have been getting Lot's of yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers and a few peppers, Tomato's are loaded just not quite ready yet. I got the carrots and eggplant planted late so they are behind. My neighbor planted a lot of beans so I will wait till fall to plant some other stuff. Probably as soon as the corn is through, I'll pull the stalks and plant something else.

 

Gary S

post #22 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post
 

Yeah, I know, I just have a backyard garden, but we like so many different things I just don't have room. I can't plant much because it takes up so much room but I have to always plant  some corn.

We have been getting Lot's of yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers and a few peppers, Tomato's are loaded just not quite ready yet. I got the carrots and eggplant planted late so they are behind. My neighbor planted a lot of beans so I will wait till fall to plant some other stuff. Probably as soon as the corn is through, I'll pull the stalks and plant something else.

 

Gary S

I wish we could plant corn here. We have to plant extra early varieties and even they are marginal. 

 

I am also jealous that you are harvesting. We have harvested spinach and lettuce but only have a few small peppers and tomatoes forming that aren't even close. It must be nice to have a longer season.

post #23 of 32
Disco, morning...... Below is a list of corn varieties.... I have tested several.... even growing up to 4 a year to find a variety that suits this area..... Bodacious, an se variety is what I settled on.... 75 days to maturity and it freezes very well without blanching... cut off the kernels and IQF them on a tray covered in parchment... vac pack and in the freezer.... It's excellent fresh also.... I usually plant corn around June 10-15th when the ground warms and harvest around Sept 5-15.... all depends on when it germinated and sprouted.... After the second set of leaves, lots of urea and water.... I'm finally getting 2 ears per stalk using lots of urea and lots of water... I am zone 5b......


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sweetcorn_varieties
post #24 of 32
Very nice Mr. Disco, very nice indeed ! That's a heck of a spread ya have there & it's hard to beat fresh fruits & veggies ! thumbsup.gif

Here's to your garden & hopefully a great harvest for You & SWMBO ! beercheer.gif


looks_great.pngpoints1.png

Justin
post #25 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

Disco, morning...... Below is a list of corn varieties.... I have tested several.... even growing up to 4 a year to find a variety that suits this area..... Bodacious, an se variety is what I settled on.... 75 days to maturity and it freezes very well without blanching... cut off the kernels and IQF them on a tray covered in parchment... vac pack and in the freezer.... It's excellent fresh also.... I usually plant corn around June 10-15th when the ground warms and harvest around Sept 5-15.... all depends on when it germinated and sprouted.... After the second set of leaves, lots of urea and water.... I'm finally getting 2 ears per stalk using lots of urea and lots of water... I am zone 5b......


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sweetcorn_varieties

Thanks, Dave. I have successfully grown corn. It just took so much room and was barely within our growing season that I just don't do it any more. Fortunately, I have access to good Tabor corn from Alberta and I haven't suffered. 

 

I do appreciate the information though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterinHoleBrew View Post

Very nice Mr. Disco, very nice indeed ! That's a heck of a spread ya have there & it's hard to beat fresh fruits & veggies ! thumbsup.gif

Here's to your garden & hopefully a great harvest for You & SWMBO ! beercheer.gif


looks_great.pngpoints1.png

Justin

Thanks, Justin. The missus and I just had our first spinach salad. Ah, you are right, fresh is hard to beat.

 

Disco

post #26 of 32

Hey Disco, we have been gone for a few days, corn is doing super I'll take a picture later for you

 

Gary S

post #27 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post
 

Hey Disco, we have been gone for a few days, corn is doing super I'll take a picture later for you

 

Gary S

I look forward to it.

post #28 of 32

Sorry, this was back in the summer, and it does take up a lot of room, but good corn

 

 

 

 

 

post #29 of 32

Oh I do long for fresh sweet corn. thanks gary. Not much corn on the cob up here this time  of year.

post #30 of 32
Holey Kr@p.... I thought you were harvesting corn now..... You had me ready to move to Texas..... Look Gary, I'm an old man and you gotta quit doing that to me.......
post #31 of 32

Sorry for the shock, I forgot to send Disco a corn picture,    No corn now, but a bunch of Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower,green onions, and still have lettuce and spinach 

 

Gary

post #32 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post
 

Sorry, this was back in the summer, and it does take up a lot of room, but good corn

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Har! You caught people's attention. Great looking corn, Gary.

 

Disco

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Small Spaces
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Small Spaces › The Mountain Garden Is Looking Good