or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Pork Loin Q-View
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pork Loin Q-View

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Hey all,

 

Been sitting on a 8 lbs pork loin that I picked up at Walmart last week and it was such a beautiful weekend that I decided to pull out the smoker. :)

 

Here it is trimmed, scored, and ready for the brine;

 

 

Here is the brine recipe I used;

 

8 Cups - Water

1/2 tsp - Rosemary

1/2 Cup - Salt

1/2 Cup - Brown Sugar

1/4 tsp - Thyme

1 tsp - Black Pepper

1/2 Cup - Apple Juice

1/4 Cup - Maple Syrup

 

Placed the pork in and brined for about 36 hours.

 

After brining I used a little of Jeff's rub and also prepped a herb rub with; fresh parsley, thyme, Rosemary, sage, garlic, kosher salt, and oilve oil. The placed in a dish and back in the fridge for 6 hours;

 

 

Preheated the smoker at 230F and tied the meat up with some butcher twine;

 

 

Smoked for about 3 hours with Pecan wood chunks, and pulled it out at 145F;

 

 

Prepared a nice honey mustard sauce to go with it and voilà!

 

 

 

Got great reviews from the family and must say that I found it pretty tasty myself. It came out incredibly moist and the honey mustard sauce was perfect for it!

 

Cheers,

 

Chad

post #2 of 16

Nicely done!!! I like using simple herb rubs for pork loin as well...it really brings out some great flavor.

 

 

Eric

post #3 of 16

Damn fine Loin ya made!!!!    Looks tasty.  Care to post the mustard sauce recipe?

post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PadronMan View Post
 

Damn fine Loin ya made!!!!    Looks tasty.  Care to post the mustard sauce recipe?

 

Thanks Patron!

 

Here you go;

 

1 tsp - Olive Oil

2 tbsp - Dijon Mustard

1 tbsp - Honey

1 tbsp - Apple Cider Vinegar

1 tbsp - Apple Juice

2 Cloves - Minced Garlic

 

Mix everything in a bowl, cover and set on the counter for a few hours to get the flavors to blend. When your are ready, just heat it up in a saucepan, or in the microwave.

 

Cheers!

post #5 of 16

Awesome.

 

Loving that Mustard Sauce.

post #6 of 16

That looks really good.

post #7 of 16

Great looking smoke! I'll give ya :points:

post #8 of 16

Hey,

 

First, +1 for the mustard sauce. 

 

Second - damn fine loin I see there... Well done!

 

Cheers,

Ed

post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post
 

That looks really good.

 

Thanks Foamheart!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post
 

Great looking smoke! I'll give ya :points:

 

Thank you! People looking over my shoulder where kinda worried when then saw how pink it was...but it seemed to whiten out a bit on the second pic I took. :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward36 View Post
 

Hey,

 

First, +1 for the mustard sauce.

 

Second - damn fine loin I see there... Well done!

 

Cheers,

Ed

 

Thanks Ed. Kids found the sauce a little to spicy...but all the adults loved it, including myself!

post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifebld View Post
 

Thanks Ed. Kids found the sauce a little to spicy...but all the adults loved it, including myself!

 

Ah well, my guys are well-trained with my sauces, involving chipotle paste and other "explosive" ingredients :)

 

Thanks!

 

Ed

post #11 of 16

That looks lovely! Cheers! - Leah

post #12 of 16

Looks Amazing! I've never brined a loin...can you taste the bring flavors in the meat?

post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmays View Post
 

Looks Amazing! I've never brined a loin...can you taste the bring flavors in the meat?

 

Thanks! To be honest, this was my first try...so I cannot compare the taste to one that was not brined.

 

It was not salty and I could not really make out the any distinct ingredient aside from the fresh herbs. However since I also did a herb rub, I cannot attribute this taste solely to the brine. I was actually kinda hoping I would taste some of the maple syrup, but that did not happen.

 

Cheers.

post #14 of 16

Loin is very lean cut. Brining here plays the role of keeping it from drying out. So I would say, unless you use a really strong or cooked brine, you won't feel much of the actual taste. But the meat will be juice and tender.

 

Ed

post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmays View Post
 

Looks Amazing! I've never brined a loin...can you taste the bring flavors in the meat?

 

It depends on the concentration of salt and spices in the brine, and of course time for exposure in the brine...then temp of the brine...too cold and it slows the osmosis process.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward36 View Post
 

Loin is very lean cut. Brining here plays the role of keeping it from drying out. So I would say, unless you use a really strong or cooked brine, you won't feel much of the actual taste. But the meat will be juice and tender.

 

Ed

 

I have brined a couple loins in the past. The most noticeable flavor of the brine was a strong concentration of spices in a simmered brine. I also used less dry rub and of mostly differing ingredient than the brine. My best success with brining pork was probably with the shoulder (Boston Butt) as far as added flavor is concerned...seems like it was a 6 or 8-day brine...went all the way through to the center.

 

 

Eric

post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifebld View Post
 

 

Thanks Patron!

 

Here you go;

 

1 tsp - Olive Oil

2 tbsp - Dijon Mustard

1 tbsp - Honey

1 tbsp - Apple Cider Vinegar

1 tbsp - Apple Juice

2 Cloves - Minced Garlic

 

Mix everything in a bowl, cover and set on the counter for a few hours to get the flavors to blend. When your are ready, just heat it up in a saucepan, or in the microwave.

 

Cheers!


Sounds excellent.  Gonna make it next time!!!

 

Scott

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Pork Loin Q-View