Boy Scout Golf Outing 2014
May 17th 2014
This was our 2nd event cooking for the Boy Scouts, I was in charge of the kitchen, Music and slideshow and Laura took care of setup, 50-50 and decorations. Mary M. (one of my kids from cubs, parent) done the Baskets.
I wanted to thank everyone for making this another succesful outing and hopefully next year we will be as fortunate as we were this year.
- Our menu was;
- Roast Beef (18-20 pounds)
- Ribs (9 racks)
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches (25 pounds)
- Ziti (too much) 6 trays.
- Rib Bits (Pig Candy) (Trimmings from 9 Full Spares)
- Potato Salad 10 lbs
- Hot Wings (30lbs)
- Chili (8 quarts)
- Cole Slaw 5lbs
- Macaroni Salad
- Hot Fries (Old Bay Potatoes) 10 lbs. (note to self, make 20lbs next time)
- Misc. Soda, Juices
- And a ton of various desserts.
Evey year we try to add a few more items to the Luncheon to dress it up a bit, this year we added a slideshow of the boys at summer camp that shows where the generous donations from the sponsors and golfers go.
We added a table skirt this year, I tried to get Cloth Tablecloths but was too late to get them, maybe next year. I picked up another chaffing dish and a nifty soup pot for the chili and we made Menu Cards for the table.
Laura, Amanda and Sam made the centerpieces again this year.
- Amanda getting the "Hermit Crab Center Pieces" Ready.
I think our turnout was around 80 golfers at the luncheon then add the Scouts and all the help and we were at about 110 or so people.
The first 15 pounds of pulled pork was donated by a company called Rich's, not really sure, it was actually pretty good but looked over processed, more like a pate', that went right away, then I reheated my 10 pounds and about 6 pounds of that went.
We had a good bit of Roast Beef, Pulled Pork, Chili, Rolls and some other odds and ends leftovers that we sent over for the nuns at the convent, they were very happy.
- Baskets. Mary did an excellent job on the baskets, Kudos MAR!
- Sponsor Board and Standings table with photos of all the foursomes... and 2 scouts fighting over a pink hat?
- Now don't the skirt class it up a bit! BTW I did fix the center tablecloth before the Golfers arrived.
- These three are mine!
- Told Ya I fixed the skirt.
- We had a Birthday!
- 30 pounds of wings were Sous Vide Thursday night for 3 hours at 170° then placed in the refrigerator overnight to air dry.
- 9 racks of full spares trimmed St. Louis Style, mopped with Worcestershire/Soy and rubbed with my rib rub. Trimmings were rubbed with my Pork Rub for the "Rib Bits".
- Ribs and trimmings on the pit, (barely fit). Time to start my Mad Hunky Wings.
- Wings are done
- The grubs started eating the wrapping, I tried moving them twice but they kept coming back so I figured a wing would keep them busy. They're actually a bit annoying when I'm cooking on the pit, as soon as they see me messing around the pit they are underfoot the rest of the day, one time I had to put them in the playhouse.
Pulled pork was cooked the week before vac sealed and frozen, sorry no pics, its part of my 12 step program!
- Finishing up the Ribs.