Thought I would post about my new and first smoker. I had eluded to a upcoming purchase in my 'Roll Call' post and did end up purchasing the Masterbuilt dual fuel pro from my local do-it-yourself store. A lot of evaluation went into my decision but, I think it was the right choice for me. I knew about some of the issues people had with them from searching the internet and thought I could still work with it maybe applying similar mods. I also read a lot of success stories too.
On to some pics..
Unboxing the unit showed some nice packaging of all the parts..
Assembly was pretty straight forwards and easy. Once assembled I noticed the gap between the door and the cabinet that has been previously mentioned elsewhere. What I found interesting was that the upper door was flush at the top and had a good size gap at the bottom. The lower door matched the gap at the top and tapered down to just about flush at the bottom.
I thought about the oven gasket but, when looking at the hinges I noticed the weld was not that big. I thought, why not cut the weld, grind down and clean the area. Then fix the doors in the new location and re-weld the hinges on with my trusty MIG welder. The MIG needed some exercise anyways. Figured I would just go ahead and do it before seasoning the smoker. So no, before/after temps etc. Here's a shot of the cut hinges, door now clamped in position and the hinges being located.
That is it for the moment. I'll post some more details and pics in the next few days.