OK here is a Journal I made of the first burn after posting this, don't know if it can help anyone, but I think I am getting good results got the fire going yesterday and its still going today! I did rub the inside of the barrel down with vegetable Oil and it is leaving a nice shellac type coating on the barrel, will probably coat it for the second seasoning as well.
UDS INTITIAL FIRE 6.1.14
1. Filled Chimney and let go for 30-45 minutes
2. Filled Basket about ¾ with briquettes and lump charcoal
3. Put chimney coals in basket and immediately placed into drum at about 2:15 pm
4. Opened 3 ports at bottom 1 elbow and 2 valves wide open 3 ports open at top
5. At about 3:00pm notice temperature was dropping so I closed all ports on top with valve ½ open at about 3:30pm and had 2 bottom valves open, temperature seems to be going up had gone from about 200 down to 100. I also added 1 wood chunk to see some smoke and I did for awhile, at 3:46pm temp is 160 with smoke showing from valve and a little around the top.
6. 4:15pm temp back down to 125, I opened both bottom valves full open and opened top valve full open, NOTE Lifted top off of barrel, smoke in the barrel but seems cool.
7. 4:30pm pulled fire basket out of Drum temp had gone down to 100, everything seemed to be cooling off, leaving basket sit out to see if I can get fire going by letting it get more air. NOTE; I think the charcoal is too tight in the fire basket to allow the fire to breath and heat up?????
8. 5:05pm- Fire is hot in basket, put it back into drum left 2 bottom valve full open and top valve full open
9. 5:09pm- Temp at 275.
10. 5:42 temp dropping again, opens up all 4 bottom vents left 1 open on top
11. 7:20pm temp came up to 250 ,I just closed 1 top port to see what temp does
12. 7:56pm Temp 275 I cut the 2 bottom ballcock valves to ½ open
13. 8:38pm Temp 285 added a plug to 1 lower vent
14. 9:04pm 250 didn’t change anything
15. 9:46 pm 225
16. 12:04 am 200
17. 3:00 am 200
18. 8:56 AM next day 120 opened up all ports to see if temp goes up or down
19. 9:43 150 up 30
20. 11:45am Temp back up to 230!
21. 2:00 pm Temp at 260 I added 1 top plug and one bottom plug.
Here is a picture of my Project, I'm going to lose the long pipes and put 18" ones on, then will add braces to prevent them from moving around, also have a couple of handles to install on the drum.