or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › My Brisket Plan (First one!) with Q-View
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Brisket Plan (First one!) with Q-View - Page 2

post #21 of 34
Thread Starter 

Brisket at 200*.  Toothpick goes in pretty easily in the point, might not be fully done there, but closer than the flat.  But, it is still tough in the flat.  I tried both the top and side of the flat.  Which should it be?  The side felt more done than the top.

post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-B-Q View Post
 

Brisket at 200*.  Toothpick goes in pretty easily in the point, might not be fully done there, but closer than the flat.  But, it is still tough in the flat.  I tried both the top and side of the flat.  Which should it be?  The side felt more done than the top.

 

 

I'd give it a bit more time.  Probe should slide easily into the thickest part of the flat.

post #23 of 34
Thread Starter 

Side or top of flat?

post #24 of 34
Thread Starter 

Now 204* in the flat.  Still not there I don't think.  I'm noticing the outside of the flat is still kinda tough, but once inside it is softer.  

 

The point feels great!  I think I'm really close now.  I need to pull it in 25 mins no matter what...I should get there.  Fingers crossed.

post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-B-Q View Post

Now 204* in the flat.  Still not there I don't think.  I'm noticing the outside of the flat is still kinda tough, but once inside it is softer.  

The point feels great!  I think I'm really close now.  I need to pull it in 25 mins no matter what...I should get there.  Fingers crossed.

Also keep in mind that when ya rest it, it'll still climb in IT a few degrees !
post #26 of 34
Thread Starter 

207* in the flat.  Feels a lot closer!!!!  It's amazing what a few more degrees does.  I'm learning a lot!!!

 

Gonna try to let it go to 210*.

post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-B-Q View Post

207* in the flat.  Feels a lot closer!!!!  It's amazing what a few more degrees does.  I'm learning a lot!!!

Gonna try to let it go to 210*.

How long ya planning to rest ?
post #28 of 34
Thread Starter 

About an hour.  Why?

post #29 of 34
Thread Starter 

210*!!  Feels pretty darn good.  going to pull it and let it rest for an hour.

 

I'll post later on the taste and texture and final pics.

post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-B-Q View Post

About an hour.  Why?

Just wondering, some folks don't rest long enough & the meat is tough & dry.... I personally foil, wrap in a couple towels & put in my camping cooler for couple hours.... Just gotta give it the time for them juices to redistribute throughout the meat & it'll be tender & juicy ! icon14.gif
post #31 of 34
Thread Starter 

First off, THANK YOU to everyone who helped me through my first brisket!!!!!!  You guys are the best!  You bring a lot of experience to the table and it is truly appreciated.  :first:

 

OK, like I said in my original post, it had decent smoke flavor, but I think it could have used a bit more.  But, the real problem I had was trying to slice it.  I had to make really thick cuts to get it to stay together.  So, I'm wondering if my probe test of a knife through butter is different from everyone else.  It probably could have come out an hour or so sooner.  When I hear a knife through butter, I would expect the probe to go in without any resistance at all.  

 

So, my final questions are:

 

1. How much smoke do you guys add?  I have a GOSM and I did 2 full pans with or chips and chunks.  I usually only do 1 pan for my ribs and they are fine.  Going to bump it to 3-4 full pans next time.  Is there an amount of time anyone uses for adding smoke?

2. Should the probe test be only for the part of the meat the probe goes in to or should you be able to push that probe through all the way without resistance.  I was going by all the way through.  That might have been my problem.

3. I didn't mention it before, but it almost seemed a bit dry after slicing.  It was moist while cutting, but then seemed to dry out quickly.  Not much juice came out on the cutting board while slicing.  Granted I let it sit FTC'd for 2 hours, so maybe that's why.  I was expecting some juice to come out and not much did at all.  Is this normal?  I'm just trying to figure out if I overcooked it.

Told my wife on the way home last night, I guess this mean I'll just have to try this again!  :grilling_smilie:  but, not before I figure out how to do the needle valve mod to my GOSM.  I've had it for over a full year now and my temp swings can get wild.  The stock gas valve is so touchy.


Edited by Bob-B-Q - 6/1/14 at 7:52am
post #32 of 34

Needle valve will make your life much easier. My brisket was the same .Probe went in like butter and it was hard to get slices unless they were thick

 I cheat . Before i wrap the foil i pour around 4 ounces of low sodium beef broth over brisket. Then when i slice i pour a little more beef broth over the slices.

post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-B-Q View Post
 

First off, THANK YOU to everyone who helped me through my first brisket!!!!!!  You guys are the best!  You bring a lot of experience to the table and it is truly appreciated.  :first:

 

OK, like I said in my original post, it had decent smoke flavor, but I think it could have used a bit more.  But, the real problem I had was trying to slice it.  I had to make really thick cuts to get it to stay together.  So, I'm wondering if my probe test of a knife through butter is different from everyone else.  It probably could have come out an hour or so sooner.  When I hear a knife through butter, I would expect the probe to go in without any resistance at all.

 

So, my final questions are:

 

1. How much smoke do you guys add?  I have a GOSM and I did 2 full pans with or chips and chunks.  I usually only do 1 pan for my ribs and they are fine.  Going to bump it to 3-4 full pans next time.  Is there an amount of time anyone uses for adding smoke?

2. Should the probe test be only for the part of the meat the probe goes in to or should you be able to push that probe through all the way without resistance.  I was going by all the way through.  That might have been my problem.

3. I didn't mention it before, but it almost seemed a bit dry after slicing.  It was moist while cutting, but then seemed to dry out quickly.  Not much juice came out on the cutting board while slicing.  Granted I let it sit FTC'd for 2 hours, so maybe that's why.  I was expecting some juice to come out and not much did at all.  Is this normal?  I'm just trying to figure out if I overcooked it.

Told my wife on the way home last night, I guess this mean I'll just have to try this again!  :grilling_smilie:  but, not before I figure out how to do the needle valve mod to my GOSM.  I've had it for over a full year now and my temp swings can get wild.  The stock gas valve is so touchy.

 

 

Bob, sorry to hear that the brisket overcooked.  Very well could be a difference in understanding of "no resistance".    Guess I'd point out that the analogy isn't "like a knife through air" or "like a knife through water", which would be absolutely no resistance what so ever.  :biggrin:     That said, I'll readily admit that my briskets don't come out perfect every time.   If I'm going to err, I'd rather a brisket be slightly overcooked than undercooked.   As you demonstrated, an overcooked brisket can be somewhat solved by cutting thicker slices, and people will still enjoy.  This, as opposed to an undercooked brisket that people have to tug and chew on.

 

As for smoke,  I don't measure by pans of chunks, rather I go by hours smoked.  For brisket, I'll normally hit it for at least 4 to 6 hours with a constant stream of thin blue smoke.

 

The lack of juice was due to it being overcooked.  Brisket will dry out to some degree after it's been sliced, but when cooked properly, it should still be juicy for a while after slicing.   The FTC isn't what hurt it, rather, it probably helped.

post #34 of 34

Wow looks great. I need to find a weekend to do a brisket. haven;t had time yet this spring.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › My Brisket Plan (First one!) with Q-View