Long time smoker but never done a brisket yet. I've done pork butt, ribs, chicken, fatties, sausage, ABTs, cheese, beans, etc. Picked up a 12.88 lb choice angus packer at Cash & Carry.
Here's my plan for a offset smoker/oven cook.
1. Trim and inject with Myron Mixon's beef broth mixture tonight.
2. Tomorrow apply simple salt and pepper rub.
3. Start smoking ~225F tomorrow night ~6 pm for 4-6 hours to reach 170F.
4. Wrap and move to oven to finish @ 225F to reach 198F or tender with toothpick test.
5. Rest at least 2 hours wrapped in a cooler.
6. Eat Fri night ~6 pm.
Should temp be measured in the point?
Should be ~11 lb after I trim so how long should it take?
Will it be done too early?
How long can I let it rest?
Or should I start at midnight? I can get 4 hours out of my offset without doing anything. SO i could wake up once to add lump.
I have a wireless temp gauge so I could set it for 170 to wake me up after that?
Any advice is appreciated.