Hi everyone. This is a totally new world for me and I had a few questions about my first "experiment" this weekend. I love smoked food. We love to cook and grill and I have always wanted to try and learn how to smoke.
So I have a masterbuilt electric smoker that I'm going to use for a pork butt. Yesterday I found the sticky on the recipe to start with from some time ago. I read through a bunch of threads and gathered a general plan to try this weekend.
I have a few questions though:
1. I plan on using a spray about every 45 mins to keep it moist so does that mean I still use the water pan or don't need to now?
2. Also the adjustment on the top of the smoker which lets out humidity and smoke should i be closed all the way down?
3. My temp will be controlled electronically so what temp should i set it for? 200-235? Didn't know what do here since you guys use a range to stay in?
4. I was going to shoot for a finished temp of about 200 to pull. hows that sound?
5. I was going to do the whole "texas crutch" when the meat stalls so I'm not all worked up and get all panicked. so questions here:
1. When I wrap I got to get that probe in still so I assume to poke it through the top so nothing leaks out? how else do i seal that up do i don't loose any pressure or heat so it doens't stall again?
2. Do I take it out of the wrap at my finished temp and then I let it sit and rest cause I'm done? OR do I need to go back to the smoker? I read things that say when it hits 200 u are done but when u unwrap it the temp can fall all the way down to 170 again? I got confused with this statement?
Any other info you can pass onto me would be sooo great!