or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Pork Roast advise!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pork Roast advise!

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Ok experts, Im about to smoke for the first time.  I have a 3.5 pork roast that I'm gonna use.  I know its not the choice piece of meat for smoking, but its what I have.  I have a offset smoker.  What should I do with the meat?  Rub or no rub?  Choice of wood?  I will post a picture of the smoker when I get a chance.  I've learned you folks find this important.  I wish to please the smoking experts.  LOL  Thanks in advance!

post #2 of 13

I would put a rub on it for sure. As for wood that's a matter of personal taste I'd go with pecan, hickory, or cherry if I was smoking it

post #3 of 13

Are we talking about a Boston Butt, Shoulder Picnic, or Loin? Bone-in or Boneless? Also, if it's a Shoulder Picnic, is it skinned or skin-on? If it's a Boston Butt, how heavy/thick is the fat-cap? I treat each of these differently, especially Loins.

 

 

Eric

post #4 of 13

The cut makes a difference. If it is a Butt, you will smoke it to an Internal Temp (IT) of 200°. If it is a hunk of Loin, meat frequently sliced into Pork Chops, I would take the IT no higher than 140°, if a blush of Pink is ok and 150°F if you still want juicy but no pink. Definitely Rub it, recipe below, and smoke it at 225-250, figuring 1.5 hours per pound plus 2 hours to CYA and Rest the meat, since it is small. If it was a full 8+ pound Butt, it would go closer to 2 hours per pound plus the rest. The wood depends on your taste. Fruit wood is mild, Pecan and Hickory is common and full flavored, Mesquite is strong and an acquired taste for many. You can also blend woods, Apple and Hickory give a great flavor and if you toss in some Cherry, will get a nice mahogany color on the bark. The temp will rise steady to about 165-170° when it will Stall, spend an hour or two without moving up. You can let it ride or wrap in foil with some Foiling Juice, below, or Apple juice, putting it back in the smoker and it will get things rolling again. The Juices from the foil get mixed in the meat at the end. I also add a Finishing Sauce, below, to the pulled meat before serving. This adds  moisture and a ton of flavor. A lot of folks in the Northeast like pork on the sweet side, the Foiling Juice will get you there. Or if Tangy is your taste a Vinegar based Finishing Sauce is great and you can add a Sweet BBQ Sauce, below, for a bit of sweet and a whole other level of flavor. On the timing, if you get done early, double wrap the finished meat in foil and towels and stick it in a cooler until ready to serve. It will stay hot for 3-5 hours. In any event the Rest is important. A Butt should at least 30 minutes tented with foil on the counter or better yet an hour wrapped in foil and towels in the cooler.Have fun and any other questions post or send me a PM and we/I will help make your family think you are a Pro, first smoke...JJ

 

BTW...If it is a piece of Loin, at least 30 minutes rest is mandatory. This gives time for the juices to redistribute and keep the meat moist.

 

Mild Bubba Q Rub (All Purpose)

 

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)

2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like

1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

 

For more heat add Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste, start with 1/2tsp and go from there. Makes about 1 Cup

Apply your desired amount of Rub to the meat, wrap in plastic and rest in the refrigerator over night.or longer. The day of the smoke, pull the meat out, add more Rub and go into your pre-heated Smoker...

 

Foiling Juice

 

For each Rack of Ribs Combine:

 

1T Pork Rub, yours

1/2 Stick Butter

1/2C Cane Syrup... Dark Corn Syrup...or Honey

1/4C Apple Cider...or Juice

1T Molasses

 

Optional:

2T Vinegar, 2T Mustard and 1/4C Ketchup to make it more KC Style.

 

Simmer until a syrupy consistency.

Allow to cool for 5 minutes, pour over foiled Ribs and

run your 2 hour phase of 3-2-1. For the last phase return

the ribs to the smoker BUT reserve any Juice remaining

in the Foil. Simmer the Juice over med/low heat to reduce to a saucy thickness. Glaze the Ribs for presentation or service.

 

For a Sweet Finishing Sauce for Pulled Pork: Make a Double batch, Butter optional.

 

Add 1/2 the batch to the Foil Pack or place it in a Pan with your Butt, when the IT hits 165*F.

Cover the pan with foil and continue to heat to 205*F for pulling.

At 205* rest or hold the Butt in a cooler wrapped in towels until ready to serve.

Pull the Pork and place it back in the pan with the pan Juices and any additional reserved Foiling Juice to moisten and Serve...OR... Bag and refrigerate until needed.

When re-heating place the Pulled Pork in a Pan or Crock pot and add reserved Foiling Juice or Apple Cider, as needed to make up the Juice that was absorbed while  the pork was refrigerated. Cover and re-heat in a pre-heated 325-350*F oven or on High in the crock pot to 165*F and Serve.

Note: the addition of the reserved Foiling Juice or Apple Cider should make the PP moist but not Swimming...

 

Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

 

This is more of an Eastern North Carolina style Finishing Sauce...

 

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar

2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste

1/4C Brown Sugar

1T Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Granulated Garlic

2 tsp Granulated Onion

2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper

1 tsp Celery Salt

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle powder. Add more if you like Heat.

1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

 

Combine all and whisk well. Let rest, at room temp, a minimum of 30 minutes for the flavors to meld together. Or bring just to a simmer and remove from heat...

 

KC Bubba Q Juice

 

2C Ketchup

1/2C Brown Mustard (Gulden's)

1/4C Apple Cider Vinegar

1/2C Molasses

2C Dark Brn Sugar

1T Tomato Paste

1T Your Rub

1-2tsp Liquid Smoke

1tsp Worcestershire Sauce

 

Combine all and warm over low heat just until it starts to bubble. Simmer about 5 minutes, stirring very frequently, to combine flavors and to thicken slightly.

Use or pour into a sterile jar and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.

Makes 3 1/2 Cups.

 


Edited by Chef JimmyJ - 5/19/14 at 9:41pm
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 

Awesome!  Thanks for the great advise.  I'm still not sure the cut of meat.  Wife said its a roast.  (she is a chef).  Im going now to make a rub.  Tomorrow is the big day!  I'll let ya know how it turned out.

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTsmokerNY View Post
 

Awesome!  Thanks for the great advise.  I'm still not sure the cut of meat.  Wife said its a roast.  (she is a chef).  Im going now to make a rub.  Tomorrow is the big day!  I'll let ya know how it turned out.

 

 

Ask her which TYPE of pork roast it is, as there are different ones ?   :biggrin:

 

As others have noted, the type of pork roast determines what finished temp you want to take it to.

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 

She told me it was a loin.  its about 4lbs.  I used a rub of brown sugar, a little raw sugar ( i ran out of brown) garlic powder, garlic salt, all spice, cinnamon, and paprika.  Wrapped it in plastic wrap over night, rubbed it a little more while it sat out temping before I put it in the smoker.  I'm using a mix of apple and cherry for wood.  Here is my smoker as i type.

post #8 of 13
You'll want to cook it to somewhere between 140 - 150, then remove and let rest
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 

OK!  Thats what I will do.  Thanks again folks for all the great advise!  

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post

The cut makes a difference. If it is a Butt, you will smoke it to an Internal Temp (IT) of 200°. If it is a hunk of Loin, meat frequently sliced into Pork Chops, I would take the IT no higher than 140°, if a blush of Pink is ok and 150°F if you still want juicy but no pink. Definitely Rub it, recipe below, and smoke it at 225-250, figuring 1.5 hours per pound plus 2 hours to CYA and Rest the meat, since it is small. If it was a full 8+ pound Butt, it would go closer to 2 hours per pound plus the rest. The wood depends on your taste. Fruit wood is mild, Pecan and Hickory is common and full flavored, Mesquite is strong and an acquired taste for many. You can also blend woods, Apple and Hickory give a great flavor and if you toss in some Cherry, will get a nice mahogany color on the bark. The temp will rise steady to about 165-170° when it will Stall, spend an hour or two without moving up. You can let it ride or wrap in foil with some Foiling Juice, below, or Apple juice, putting it back in the smoker and it will get things rolling again. The Juices from the foil get mixed in the meat at the end. I also add a Finishing Sauce, below, to the pulled meat before serving. This adds  moisture and a ton of flavor. A lot of folks in the Northeast like pork on the sweet side, the Foiling Juice will get you there. Or if Tangy is your taste a Vinegar based Finishing Sauce is great and you can add a Sweet BBQ Sauce, below, for a bit of sweet and a whole other level of flavor. On the timing, if you get done early, double wrap the finished meat in foil and towels and stick it in a cooler until ready to serve. It will stay hot for 3-5 hours. In any event the Rest is important. A Butt should at least 30 minutes tented with foil on the counter or better yet an hour wrapped in foil and towels in the cooler.Have fun and any other questions post or send me a PM and we/I will help make your family think you are a Pro, first smoke...JJ

BTW...If it is a piece of Loin, at least 30 minutes rest is mandatory. This gives time for the juices to redistribute and keep the meat moist.

Mild Bubba Q Rub (All Purpose)

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)
2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)
1T Kosher Salt
1T Chili Powder (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.
1T Granulated Garlic
1T Granulated Onion
1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like
1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

For more heat add Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste, start with 1/2tsp and go from there. Makes about 1 Cup
Apply your desired amount of Rub to the meat, wrap in plastic and rest in the refrigerator over night.or longer. The day of the smoke, pull the meat out, add more Rub and go into your pre-heated Smoker...

Foiling Juice

For each Rack of Ribs Combine:

1T Pork Rub, yours
1/2 Stick Butter
1/2C Cane Syrup... Dark Corn Syrup...or Honey
1/4C Apple Cider...or Juice
1T Molasses

Optional:
2T Vinegar, 2T Mustard and 1/4C Ketchup to make it more KC Style.

Simmer until a syrupy consistency.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes, pour over foiled Ribs and
run your 2 hour phase of 3-2-1. For the last phase return
the ribs to the smoker BUT reserve any Juice remaining
in the Foil. Simmer the Juice over med/low heat to reduce to a saucy thickness. Glaze the Ribs for presentation or service.

For a Sweet Finishing Sauce for Pulled Pork: Make a Double batch, Butter optional.

Add 1/2 the batch to the Foil Pack or place it in a Pan with your Butt, when the IT hits 165*F.
Cover the pan with foil and continue to heat to 205*F for pulling.
At 205* rest or hold the Butt in a cooler wrapped in towels until ready to serve.
Pull the Pork and place it back in the pan with the pan Juices and any additional reserved Foiling Juice to moisten and Serve...OR... Bag and refrigerate until needed.
When re-heating place the Pulled Pork in a Pan or Crock pot and add reserved Foiling Juice or Apple Cider, as needed to make up the Juice that was absorbed while  the pork was refrigerated. Cover and re-heat in a pre-heated 325-350*F oven or on High in the crock pot to 165*F and Serve.
Note: the addition of the reserved Foiling Juice or Apple Cider should make the PP moist but not Swimming...

Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

This is more of an Eastern North Carolina style Finishing Sauce...

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar
2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste
1/4C Brown Sugar
1T Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Granulated Garlic
2 tsp Granulated Onion
2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper
1 tsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle powder. Add more if you like Heat.
1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. Let rest, at room temp, a minimum of 30 minutes for the flavors to meld together. Or bring just to a simmer and remove from heat...

KC Bubba Q Juice

2C Ketchup
1/2C Brown Mustard (Gulden's)
1/4C Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2C Molasses
2C Dark Brn Sugar
1T Tomato Paste
1T Your Rub
1-2tsp Liquid Smoke
1tsp Worcestershire Sauce

Combine all and warm over low heat just until it starts to bubble. Simmer about 5 minutes, stirring very frequently, to combine flavors and to thicken slightly.
Use or pour into a sterile jar and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.
Makes 3 1/2 Cups.

Chef Jimmy, since my rub is sweeter (Grub Rub from Tx), I've loved using that tangy finishing sauce to balance it out. Tastes really good and I don't even add a sauce later. Thanks for the recipe, btw!
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgal81 View Post


Chef Jimmy, since my rub is sweeter (Grub Rub from Tx), I've loved using that tangy finishing sauce to balance it out. Tastes really good and I don't even add a sauce later. Thanks for the recipe, btw!

 

You are Welcome...JJ

post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all the help folks!  It turned out AMAZING!  I was more then pleased.  It didnt last long enough to get a picture of the finished product.

post #13 of 13

:th_What_NO_QVIEW:...:icon_mrgreen:...just kidding...I'll take your word for it. If it was even close to your expectations, then you did it justice. Now, if you had low expectations, then I expect you far surpassed them...all the better!!! Next round you can roll right into it with more confidence. Just be sure you know what cut you have before you start planning your smoke...that makes things so much easier. If you can, pick out your own meats that you will be cooking, and this will allow to get to know each cut on a more personal level.

 

Keep on smokin'!!!

 

 

Eric

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Pork Roast advise!