I have a Masterbuilt smoker/cooker that Cabela's sells. It is a painted (not stainless) propane and charcoal vertical smoker, which can be used as a grill, also.
I fired it up to do the initial burn off yesterday and I wonder if I over did it.
The manual is a bit sketchy on details and just says 2 - 4 hours at 200 degrees and to put a couple chunks of wood in.
I let it get up to 550 degrees and mostly held it around 375. I figured if it was a grill, I should get it a bit hotter than I would grill at.
I gave it a total of about 3 and a half hours.
There was some off white discoloration on the propane burner stand and it still had a little paint smell after I shut it off.
The instructions did not say to oil it, so I didn't. The racks are porcelain coated.
My question is: Did I get it too hot and cause the paint to burn? Should I give it another session until the smell is completely gone?