SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Meat Thermometers › Maverick ET-733 thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Maverick ET-733 thread - Page 16

post #301 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennispfaff View Post

If it's a Maverick probe you can order replacements.

yessir, ordere 2 off amazon within minutes of it stopping working
they were here on monday
post #302 of 320
If I am not mistaken there are longer probes available than the standard Maverick probes. I have a 40" MES and often think it would be useful if you want to reach to the bottom rack.
Dennis
post #303 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred77 View Post


yessir, ordere 2 off amazon within minutes of it stopping working
they were here on monday

I ordered a set of probes directly from Maverick after I compared their price with that on Amazon. The price was just as good and I think I got free shipping. I got the 6-footers with one probe being the squared-off end smoker probe. My original probes still work fine after 4+ years. I run the wires down through the top vent on my MES 30 Gen 1. No chance of crimping that way.

post #304 of 320
Rick, I don't understand what a "squared off end" is for?
Dennis
post #305 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennispfaff View Post

Rick, I don't understand what a "squared off end" is for?
Dennis

Dennis...one of the probes is long and pointed for piercing the meat. The other is shorter and rounded off on the end. It's the "chamber" probe for measuring the temp of the smoke chamber. Hope that answers your question!

By the way, I have used both probes for both jobs...its just not as easy to get the rounded off probe in to a piece of supper.
post #306 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennispfaff View Post

Rick, I don't understand what a "squared off end" is for?
Dennis


Dennis, I see that Jarhead gave you the answer. I found out when perusing the Maverick website for replacement probes you can choose to buy either two pointed probes that come--or used to come--standard with the Maverick ET-733, or you can choose one meat probe and the rounded (I said squared) off end smoker probe. That one's designed to just sit on a rack and monitor the smoker temp. I bought 6-footers. I still have my original ET-733 with the 3 ft. long meat probes and I just got a new Maverick ET-733 but haven't opened the box yet. I might do it today.

post #307 of 320
What's cool about the ET-733 it saves your settings from previous smoking session so you don't have to reset it if your cooking the same thing from previous session.
Now if someone could invent a remote to control my needle valve on propane bottle with an alarm if flame goes out that would be a million$$$ ideal.
Happy Smoking!!
post #308 of 320

Not sure on the etiquette of posting deals on this forum, but I was looking around for a good thermo for my new MES.  The ET-732 seemed to be the consensus, but the 733 seemed to be well regarded as an upgrade.  As I was searching for a good deal on the 732, I stumbled across this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2RDIFK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

The 733 for less than the normal price of the 732.  Even comes with a set of shredders (although I already have a set)

post #309 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
 

Not sure on the etiquette of posting deals on this forum, but I was looking around for a good thermo for my new MES.  The ET-732 seemed to be the consensus, but the 733 seemed to be well regarded as an upgrade.  As I was searching for a good deal on the 732, I stumbled across this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2RDIFK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

The 733 for less than the normal price of the 732.  Even comes with a set of shredders (although I already have a set)


That really IS a GREAT Deal !!

Anyone interested in a 733 should Jump on that hard !!!---FREE Shipping too!!

Thanks for Posting.

 

 

Bear

post #310 of 320

Thru the glory that is Amazon Prime, my 733 arrived this morning (less than 24 hours from ordering).  Immediately tried it out in boiling water and ice water.  Confirmed temps on my Lavapen.  The reading are unfortunately not spot on as I had expected based on reviews and this thread.  In boiling water it is reading either 214 or 216 (jumps between the two, doesn't even move thru 215). In the ice, I get anywhere between 37 and 41, never anything lower.  Swapping probes in the ice went from a 39/43 upper/lower combo to 37/41 upper/lower combo, so it appears to be in the unit vs the probes.  

 

214 is within the stated accuracy (I think +/- 3 degrees), but 216 isn't, and my ice temps certainly aren't within the stated range.

 

I know that generally I'm going to be using the high end of the range which isn't too far off seemingly, but the reports here seem to indicate I should be getting more accuracy out of the unit.  Worth either getting a replacement from Amazon or contacting Maverick?

post #311 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
 

Thru the glory that is Amazon Prime, my 733 arrived this morning (less than 24 hours from ordering).  Immediately tried it out in boiling water and ice water.  Confirmed temps on my Lavapen.  The reading are unfortunately not spot on as I had expected based on reviews and this thread.  In boiling water it is reading either 214 or 216 (jumps between the two, doesn't even move thru 215). In the ice, I get anywhere between 37 and 41, never anything lower.  Swapping probes in the ice went from a 39/43 upper/lower combo to 37/41 upper/lower combo, so it appears to be in the unit vs the probes.  

 

214 is within the stated accuracy (I think +/- 3 degrees), but 216 isn't, and my ice temps certainly aren't within the stated range.

 

I know that generally I'm going to be using the high end of the range which isn't too far off seemingly, but the reports here seem to indicate I should be getting more accuracy out of the unit.  Worth either getting a replacement from Amazon or contacting Maverick?


I believe That's worse than most.

At what elevation are you? You don't have your location noted.

 

I would first call Maverick & give them your findings, to see what they will do about it.

I wouldn't personally worry about it, If it's only that far off, but it could get worse.

 

 

Bear

post #312 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post

Thru the glory that is Amazon Prime, my 733 arrived this morning (less than 24 hours from ordering).  Immediately tried it out in boiling water and ice water.  Confirmed temps on my Lavapen.  The reading are unfortunately not spot on as I had expected based on reviews and this thread.  In boiling water it is reading either 214 or 216 (jumps between the two, doesn't even move thru 215). In the ice, I get anywhere between 37 and 41, never anything lower.  Swapping probes in the ice went from a 39/43 upper/lower combo to 37/41 upper/lower combo, so it appears to be in the unit vs the probes.  

214 is within the stated accuracy (I think +/- 3 degrees), but 216 isn't, and my ice temps certainly aren't within the stated range.

I know that generally I'm going to be using the high end of the range which isn't too far off seemingly, but the reports here seem to indicate I should be getting more accuracy out of the unit.  Worth either getting a replacement from Amazon or contacting Maverick?

I would contact Maverick first to see what they say. I have a ET-732 and its worked great and has been pretty accurate
post #313 of 320

Oh but its green!! 

Think i will order it anyhow.

post #314 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeldingSmoke View Post
 

Oh but its green!! 

Think i will order it anyhow.


LOL---An Ugly Green too!!

 

Although it would be hard to loose it, unless it's in the grass.

 

 

Bear

post #315 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
 

Thru the glory that is Amazon Prime, my 733 arrived this morning (less than 24 hours from ordering).  Immediately tried it out in boiling water and ice water.  Confirmed temps on my Lavapen.  The reading are unfortunately not spot on as I had expected based on reviews and this thread.  In boiling water it is reading either 214 or 216 (jumps between the two, doesn't even move thru 215). In the ice, I get anywhere between 37 and 41, never anything lower.  Swapping probes in the ice went from a 39/43 upper/lower combo to 37/41 upper/lower combo, so it appears to be in the unit vs the probes.  

 

214 is within the stated accuracy (I think +/- 3 degrees), but 216 isn't, and my ice temps certainly aren't within the stated range.

 

I know that generally I'm going to be using the high end of the range which isn't too far off seemingly, but the reports here seem to indicate I should be getting more accuracy out of the unit.  Worth either getting a replacement from Amazon or contacting Maverick?

I had a similar experience except that my probes were ~50 degrees apart from each other.  Maverick's customer service was non-existent at best.  Luckily the third party company that shipped the unit through Amazon (packaged with Bear Claws) was amazing!  It ended up being that the sending unit was bad.  I now have 2 3' probes, 2 6' probes, two base units (one bad), and two of the handheld units with the readouts.  I've heard Maverick's customer service is great, and they may be but my experience was that they were awful.  With all of that said I love my 733.

post #316 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 


I believe That's worse than most.

At what elevation are you? You don't have your location noted.

 

I would first call Maverick & give them your findings, to see what they will do about it.

I wouldn't personally worry about it, If it's only that far off, but it could get worse.

 

 

Bear

I'm less than 200 ft above sea level (Orange County, CA) so I shouldn't have any significant deviation on boiling point (and it wouldn't go up unless I was below sea level).  I'll email Maverick and see what I get from them

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeldingSmoke View Post
 

Oh but its green!! 

Think i will order it anyhow.

Yep, a very bright green, but honestly it's a thermometer, not a fashion accessory, so if it reads accurate, its all good. Reminds me of my mom buying a discounted dryer and they tried to warn her that the paint was a bit messed up because it had been wrapped before the paint was fully dry.  Her response - "it's going in the laundry room, who cares"

post #317 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentos260 View Post
 

I had a similar experience except that my probes were ~50 degrees apart from each other.  Maverick's customer service was non-existent at best.  Luckily the third party company that shipped the unit through Amazon (packaged with Bear Claws) was amazing!  It ended up being that the sending unit was bad.  I now have 2 3' probes, 2 6' probes, two base units (one bad), and two of the handheld units with the readouts.  I've heard Maverick's customer service is great, and they may be but my experience was that they were awful.  With all of that said I love my 733.


Only time I ever personally had to deal with the Maverick CS was with my first set.

It was a lowly ET-73, and the second time I used it the little on-off switch on the back fell off.

I called them & told them about it, and they sent me a brand new Unit, and didn't even ask me to send the broken one back.

That was 7 1/2 years ago, and I still use that one 24/7, in my curing fridge.

Also bought and use 2 ET-732 sets with my MES 40.

 

 

Bear

post #318 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
 

Not sure on the etiquette of posting deals on this forum, but I was looking around for a good thermo for my new MES.  The ET-732 seemed to be the consensus, but the 733 seemed to be well regarded as an upgrade.  As I was searching for a good deal on the 732, I stumbled across this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2RDIFK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

The 733 for less than the normal price of the 732.  Even comes with a set of shredders (although I already have a set)

This IS an amazing deal. I've never seen the ET-733 (which I own) for this low a price. My beloved wife already gifted me with a pair Bear Paw meat shredders (among other smoking gear goodies) a few years ago for one of the best Father's Days I ever had. 

post #319 of 320

I've calibrated a lot of thermometers with boiling water and ice water. One thing that is really important:

 

You must use distilled water.

 

You can Google this, but you'll find that hard water boils at a significantly higher temperature than distilled water. This increase can be on the order of 2-4 degrees F, if your water is really hard.

 

You can also get a melting point shift, although that is usually not as great. The usual problem that leads to incorrect freezing point measurements is not having enough ice, not stirring it continuously, and not crushing the ice. Water actually doesn't transmit heat as quickly as you might think (insert a Thermapen into water you have microwaved, and then move it around to see how much the temperature varies from one point of the water to the next). Thus, to get a really accurate freezing point reading, you need to have the container filled with ice to the very bottom of the container; you need to stir continuously for at least thirty seconds; and to get the best results, you should first crush the ice. If you don't do all these things, you will end up with a reading that is too high.

 

And, you should use distilled water.

post #320 of 320
Right. When you fill a glass with crushed ice, water just so the ice lifts a quarter of an inch off the bottom and let sit for a minute then stir constantly.
-Kurt
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Meat Thermometers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Meat Thermometers › Maverick ET-733 thread