or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Costco Butts!

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Oh man, my wife convinced me to switch from Sams to Coscto. I just went to pick up some butts to smoke this weekend and realized they are Boneless! What the heck!! Who would want that?

Anyways, just looking for some input. Has anyone used these from Costco? How'd they compare to bone-in? Trying to decide if I should go back to Sams while i still can. Butchers around here are way overpriced.
post #2 of 18
Many here will use the Costco boneless butts. Tie some butchers twine around to hold it together if that's your issue. You'll love them when you start making sausage....Willie
post #3 of 18

Works fine for me minus a bone. Have never really compared side by side but I am happy.  Plus I am not a Sams fan.  They usually have the same p[ricing but I am not paying for a bone.

post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbone View Post

Oh man, my wife convinced me to switch from Sams to Coscto. I just went to pick up some butts to smoke this weekend and realized they are Boneless! What the heck!! Who would want that?

Anyways, just looking for some input. Has anyone used these from Costco? How'd they compare to bone-in? Trying to decide if I should go back to Sams while i still can. Butchers around here are way overpriced.

 

Yup as Willie said they're nice for sausage & a lot of people like to smoke them too but if I have a choice I go for the bone-in butt every time for smoking. Luckily for me the boneless ones are pretty rare around here because I did one of each once & everyone in my family prefers the flavor of a bone-in butt. They come around & I cook for them fairly often so I like to keep them happy  :icon_mrgreen:

post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
I probably should have specified, I pretty much do pulled pork with the bone-ins every time.

Maybe I need to graduate to something else.
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbone View Post

I probably should have specified, I pretty much do pulled pork with the bone-ins every time.

Maybe I need to graduate to something else.

 

Do you mean like making sausage perhaps??  :sausage:  :sausage:  :icon_mrgreen:

post #7 of 18

I do quite a few bonless butts for Pulled pork, never had a problem. Give it a shot you may like them. 

 

A full smoker is a happy smoker.

 

DS

post #8 of 18
I've used them plenty, cant tell the difference. I also use twine to pull them together
post #9 of 18

Good either way in my experience?

 

I certainly would not pay extra for a boneless butt?  I have a boning knife if I am making sausage.  For smoking?  No knife needed, it slides right out.  Almost a built in thermometer?  :biggrin:

 

I did say "almost" didn't I?  :devil:

 

Good luck and good smoking.

post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotzee View Post

I've used them plenty, cant tell the difference. I also use twine to pull them together

 

I never noticed a difference till I smoked one of each at the same time...  pig.gif

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking B View Post
 

 

I never noticed a difference till I smoked one of each at the same time...  pig.gif

I think its safe to assume if you compared any two pieces of meat cut from 2 different animals raised in 2 different facilities eating different feed and such together you would notice some sort of difference in taste.

post #12 of 18

I use the Costco Butts...have had no problem with them.  They actually cook faster than the bone in.  I don't tie them though and they turn out great.

post #13 of 18

The wife has a membership at both Costco and Sams for business reasons so I compare pricing and they usually match each other per lb so why pay for the bone?

post #14 of 18

I buy cryovaced St. Louis cut ribs at Costco all the time.  3 racks in a pack, already trimmed and membrane removed.  Never pulled a bad rack out of a pack.  Wednesday was the most I ever paid for them at $2.99/lb, but we all know the price of pork is up due to the virus killing piglets.

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotzee View Post

I buy cryovaced St. Louis cut ribs at Costco all the time.  3 racks in a pack, already trimmed and membrane removed.  Never pulled a bad rack out of a pack.  Wednesday was the most I ever paid for them at $2.99/lb, but we all know the price of pork is up due to the virus killing piglets.


 


Oh, I must agree here.....I've never had a bad rib from Costco. Unfortunately, prices are creeping up on everything. Beef up due to the drought and will shoot up more as grilling season kicks in. I may have to take out a loan to get some chicken wings......Willie
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Willie View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotzee View Post
 

I buy cryovaced St. Louis cut ribs at Costco all the time.  3 racks in a pack, already trimmed and membrane removed.  Never pulled a bad rack out of a pack.  Wednesday was the most I ever paid for them at $2.99/lb, but we all know the price of pork is up due to the virus killing piglets.

 


Oh, I must agree here.....I've never had a bad rib from Costco. Unfortunately, prices are creeping up on everything. Beef up due to the drought and will shoot up more as grilling season kicks in. I may have to take out a loan to get some chicken wings......Willie

 

 

Amazingly, chicken wings are actually down LOL.  That wont last long

post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotzee View Post
 

I think its safe to assume if you compared any two pieces of meat cut from 2 different animals raised in 2 different facilities eating different feed and such together you would notice some sort of difference in taste.

 

I agree 100%   thumb1.gif  However the scenario you assumed didn't happen in this particular case - both these were from the same pig that I got local. I did it to help my pap prove a point & settle an old argument with another family member... 

post #18 of 18

Given a choice, I would prefer bone-in. I think it makes the butt cook faster and more evenly. The boneless ones I get from Costco and other places are usually so mangled they're hardly recognizable.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork