or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Pina Colada Shoulder and Asian Slaw
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pina Colada Shoulder and Asian Slaw

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Two things on the 'to do' list got made yesterday. One of my fav markets had 1/2 shoulders in the case so with just the two of us it hit the frugal button just right. I don't normally inject but wanted to do the coconut water, pineapple juice concoction and I had rum left from Christmas baking so added a shot of that as well. Four pounds of shoulder, injected, rubbed and rested overnight. 250 degree temp for 10 hours with pecan chunks got me to 185 IT...time to eat, so sliced instead of a pull. Truth, the pork was OK, just OK IMO. Smoke was spot on though, and the GF was OK with that.....to much and she balks. Now, the STAR of the meal turned out to be the Asian Slaw courtesy of a post from Reinhard. Freaking outstanding stuff!!! I could not stay off of it....I just had some breakfast chow and already I'm eyeballing it in the fridge. So, thanks a bunch Reinhard....a definite keeper and I loved it. Instead of the bagged mix I used about 1/4 head each of green & red cabbage instead.

 

make this....outstanding IMHO

Asian Slaw

1 bunch large green onions trimmed and thinly sliced
2 16 oz bags coleslaw mix
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 T grated fresh ginger
2 T white vinegar
2 T dark brown sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp salt
20 or so grinds of black pepper
Put everything in a large bowl and mix it up good. I like to keep it in the fridge overnight with mixing it again a couple of times and then serve the next day.

 

 

 

injected and rubbed heading for the overnight rest

 

next morning.....some injection seepage

 

Sorry.....forgot the money shot fresh off the smoker, so here's what's left

post #2 of 8

That looks really good Willie!  :drool  What didn't you like about the pork? & you still have rum from Christmas?  :eek:  You must have the willpower of a monk!  :icon_mrgreen:

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking B View Post
 

That looks really good Willie!  :drool  What didn't you like about the pork? & you still have rum from Christmas?  :eek:  You must have the willpower of a monk!  :icon_mrgreen:


LMAO.......hell NO, no Monkish willpower here....ever. Rum just not my favorite likker....little to sweet for me although I can power down some Rumballs anytime. Bourbon or Vodka please, Bourbon neat...vodka over ice. Happy Hour starts at 2 now with retirement. Cigar optional. I could not tell I injected anything in that shoulder. After seeing shoulders injected on Pitmasters coupla days ago looking for a sweet Georgia touch to impress the judges I was motivated to do the same. I was hoping for some sweet pineapple/coconut flavor to come through but not this time. So, I will assume operator error somehow and look for something else to inject. Had a nice smoky flavor though from the pecan.....gonna make a nice Taco.

post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Willie View Post
 


LMAO.......hell NO, no Monkish willpower here....ever. Rum just not my favorite likker....little to sweet for me although I can power down some Rumballs anytime. Bourbon or Vodka please, Bourbon neat...vodka over ice. Happy Hour starts at 2 now with retirement. Cigar optional. I could not tell I injected anything in that shoulder. After seeing shoulders injected on Pitmasters coupla days ago looking for a sweet Georgia touch to impress the judges I was motivated to do the same. I was hoping for some sweet pineapple/coconut flavor to come through but not this time. So, I will assume operator error somehow and look for something else to inject. Had a nice smoky flavor though from the pecan.....gonna make a nice Taco.


 I am no Chef , Chef. BUT.... I think back to a long ago revelation I had watching a Pro boil crawfish for the masses. It was my first time to see boiled crawfish dusted with seasoning after boiling. I was amazed at how well it worked. Then I though about glazing a ham and it was pretty basically the same.

 

I wonder if approaching the butt that way would not help infuse the taste better. Also again no Chef, BUT....... Baby Sis laughs at me with all my extracts. I use 'em a lot. When making a Pina Colada flavored anything I always add rum, coconut, and pineapple extract. I know its all alcohol and to be of any use must be added at the end, hence the glaze idea again. Just a thought.

 

BTW the slaw does look wonderful, but so does the pork. We are the only ones who know the flavor profile we are trying to achieve. And I am guessing the Pork was better than OK, you just didn't achieve what you were looking for this time.  I wonder if I could substitute sesame oil for the seeds? Seeds a store bought teeth don't make good bed fellows...>LOL

post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post


 I am no Chef , Chef. BUT.... I think back to a long ago revelation I had watching a Pro boil crawfish for the masses. It was my first time to see boiled crawfish dusted with seasoning after boiling. I was amazed at how well it worked. Then I though about glazing a ham and it was pretty basically the same.

 

I wonder if approaching the butt that way would not help infuse the taste better. Also again no Chef, BUT....... Baby Sis laughs at me with all my extracts. I use 'em a lot. When making a Pina Colada flavored anything I always add rum, coconut, and pineapple extract. I know its all alcohol and to be of any use must be added at the end, hence the glaze idea again. Just a thought.

 

BTW the slaw does look wonderful, but so does the pork. We are the only ones who know the flavor profile we are trying to achieve. And I am guessing the Pork was better than OK, you just didn't achieve what you were looking for this time.  I wonder if I could substitute sesame oil for the seeds? Seeds a store bought teeth don't make good bed fellows...>LOL

 



Well, I like that Foam.....leaves me a graceful way out....'just not the profile I was looking for'. I'd imagine extracts are more of a concentrated flavor....well worth a try next time. Yes, leave out the seeds by all means. There is sesame oil in the recipe....bump it up a tad or add some at the very end to really bring that flavor out.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Willie View Post
 


LMAO.......hell NO, no Monkish willpower here....ever. Rum just not my favorite likker....little to sweet for me although I can power down some Rumballs anytime. Bourbon or Vodka please, Bourbon neat...vodka over ice. Happy Hour starts at 2 now with retirement. Cigar optional. I could not tell I injected anything in that shoulder. After seeing shoulders injected on Pitmasters coupla days ago looking for a sweet Georgia touch to impress the judges I was motivated to do the same. I was hoping for some sweet pineapple/coconut flavor to come through but not this time. So, I will assume operator error somehow and look for something else to inject. Had a nice smoky flavor though from the pecan.....gonna make a nice Taco.

 

Ah ok - a bourbon man - makes perfect sense!  :biggrin:  I bet tacos would be pretty tasty with that combo  :beercheer:

post #7 of 8

Well Chef Willie, this all looks outstanding! And I bet the flavors and all were even more than "OK!" It sounds terrific! Great job! Cheers! - Leah

post #8 of 8

That looks might tasty from here Willie!  Aren't we just our own worst critics?  I know I am.  Delicious looking pork, and I gotta try that slaw recipe for sure!  Copied and pasted...thanks for sharing it!

 

:points:

 

Red

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Pina Colada Shoulder and Asian Slaw