or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Porkert vs Chop Rite Grinder
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Porkert vs Chop Rite Grinder

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

I hear that they're both good quality meat grinders.  I possess a brand new Chop Rite #10 manual grinder and was wondering if I'd be better off with a Porkert #10 manual grinder also brand new.


Edited by TJKoko - 4/18/14 at 10:02am
post #2 of 13

Sorry, not familiar with the Chop Rite but my family had a Porkert for years and it was pretty much bullet proof, although, that's no indication of todays builds.....Willie

post #3 of 13

Chop-Rite used to be known as Enterprise way back. They are still made in Pennslyvania. Many people still have 50+ year old Universal manual meat grinders in use. I just bought one recently but I haven't put it into use just yet. I too have a #10. I'm thinking of getting some additional plates and possibly a sausage stuffing tube or two for it.

 

Not sure about the Porkert, but the Chop-Rite #10 will run you about $110-120 new. They are supposed to be just as well made now as in the past.

 

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/chop-10-chp.html


Edited by Motown-n00b - 5/1/14 at 6:47am
post #4 of 13

May I ask why you would want that when you can get a #12 electric from Northern Tool for 10 bucks less. Nostalgia?

post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown-n00b View Post

Chop-Rite used to be known as Universal way back.

FWIW,
Chop-Rite used to be known as Enterprise.
Universal originated as a brand name of grinders made by Landers, Frary & Clark in New Britain, CT.




~Martin
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown-n00b View Post
 

Chop-Rite used to be known as Universal way back. They are still made in Pennslyvania. Many people still have 50+ year old Universal manual meat grinders in use. I just bought one recently but I haven't put it into use just yet. I too have a #10. I'm thinking of getting some additional plates and possibly a sausage stuffing tube or two for it.

 

Not sure about the Porkert, but the Chop-Rite #10 will run you about $110-120 new. They are supposed to be just as well made now as in the past.

 

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/chop-10-chp.html


You can order parts directly from Chop-Rite, now known as Chop-Rite 2 and I think that their parts cost less than if ordered from a meat supply place.  And at least you know you're getting american-made equipment.

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alelover View Post
 

May I ask why you would want that when you can get a #12 electric from Northern Tool for 10 bucks less. Nostalgia?


Chop-Rite is american made and therefore the quality of metal is probably better.


Edited by TJKoko - 4/30/14 at 2:27pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJKoko View Post
 

I hear that they're both good quality meat grinders.  I possess a brand new Chop Rite #10 manual grinder and was wondering if I'd be better off with a Porkert #10 manual grinder also brand new.


I'm curious as to where you found a new Porket #10. The company, in the Czech Republic, has been out of business for a number of years.

post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dls1 View Post
 


I'm curious as to where you found a new Porket #10. The company, in the Czech Republic, has been out of business for a number of years.


I found it at Ebay just recently, and it appeared to have all of the original accessories.

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJKoko View Post
 


I found it at Ebay just recently, and it appeared to have all of the original accessories.


Porkert went bankrupt and closed in 2007. In their petition, one of the reasons cited for the bankruptcy filing was the fact that they were undercut in price by Chinese and Spanish knockoffs of their products. I understand that an Italian company bought the rights to their name, and for a while, were having the #5, #8, and #32 made, but closed up shop as they could'nt make a go of it.

 

That said, the item you're considering might be a very good product, but I would be cautious.

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dls1 View Post

 

That said, the item you're considering might be a very good product, but I would be cautious.

I'll stick with my #10 Chop-Rite as I'm uncertain if it's interchangeable with the #10 Porkert.

post #12 of 13
Porkert is out of business, but I bought some brand new old stock authentic Porkert stuff not long ago for my "collection."
Generally, plates and knives are universally interchangeable but there are instances where knives from different manufactures don't cover all the holes in plates made by other manufacturer....or the center hole in a plate by one manufacturer is a bit too tight for a grinder made by another manufacturer...that sort of thing.....


~Martin
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingDogFarm View Post


FWIW,
Chop-Rite used to be known as Enterprise.
Universal originated as a brand name of grinders made by Landers, Frary & Clark in New Britain, CT.




~Martin

You're right. I brain farted and typed Universal. Enterprise was the original name.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Porkert vs Chop Rite Grinder