or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Grilling Pork › Ultimate pork kebabs - the simplest way ever!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultimate pork kebabs - the simplest way ever!

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Hey folks!

 

This is my way to grill pork kebabs... It is indeed the simplest way I know of, and nevertheless ultimately enhancing the natural flavor of pork meat.

 

 

 

So, for 2.5 lb of pork meat you will need:

 

  • 4 onions, sliced thinly
  • 1 tbsp coarse or sea salt
  • 1 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsp ground coriander seeds

 

I used pork butt for those kebabs, but basically, any meat which is not lean can be marinated the same way. So, the pieces should be bite size - remember, the kebabs are eaten off the skewer :)

 

Once you got the meat all cubed, slice those onions, put them in a large non-reactive bowl, add the salt and just squeeze it with your hands. Don't be afraid - go brutal! The more broken and squeezed they are, the more juice they will extract. 

 

Then - add in the meat, spices and mix it all up with your hands. Refrigerate, covered, for 4 hours minimum, overnight preferred.

 

Grill on direct high heat 10-12 minutes, turning 3 times throughout the grilling time. 

 

 

BTW, piece of advice - use metal skewers, and not wood ones. Metal gets hot and significantly reduces the grilling time, keeping the meat juicy. 

 

Happy weekend!

 

Ed

post #2 of 7

Ed, That looks great. I've made beef kebabs before but never pork. Great idea, I'll try this soon.

post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnott View Post
 

Ed, That looks great. I've made beef kebabs before but never pork. Great idea, I'll try this soon.

 

Hey

 

Thanks!!! Yeah, you gonna love it. This is just the way it's done in Georgia (not in US) and in mid-Asia. If you ask me, the grill men there, called "kebab-chee", are the best when it comes to kebab and open fire cooking!

post #4 of 7
Looks very delish......really like your serious kebob rack with a lot of slots. Picked up a smaller rack here for doing shrimp skewers with only about 5 slots but it's ok for just the two of us. I also prefer the metal skewers as opposed to bamboo and they perform better if flat, like a knife, so the meat doesn't spin around.....nice job.....Willie
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Willie View Post

Looks very delish......really like your serious kebob rack with a lot of slots. Picked up a smaller rack here for doing shrimp skewers with only about 5 slots but it's ok for just the two of us. I also prefer the metal skewers as opposed to bamboo and they perform better if flat, like a knife, so the meat doesn't spin around.....nice job.....Willie

 

Thanks, Willie!

 

But this is not a rack :). Those skewers are about 1.5 feet long, and that's a fireplace, with two bars set for grilling kebabs. Other than that - you're right! The thing about metal skewers is not just the spinning part... It's the actual fact the iron gets hot and cooks the meat from inside. This reduces the cooking time and keeps the juices inside. 

 

Here's a pic of that grillman heaven :).

 

post #6 of 7
Upon closer inspection you're right, of course. Again, that's a serious sweet looking setup and a serious amount of kebobs awaiting their turn.....Willie
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Willie View Post

Upon closer inspection you're right, of course. Again, that's a serious sweet looking setup and a serious amount of kebobs awaiting their turn.....Willie

 

Oh yeah... I only am sorry it is not mine. I grilled at my friends estate, near Moscow, Russia... These guys really know how to make a fire junkie like me happy :yahoo:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Grilling Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Grilling Pork › Ultimate pork kebabs - the simplest way ever!