or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Wild Game › Deer Rear - Dried Venison, Pastrami, Ham
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Deer Rear - Dried Venison, Pastrami, Ham - Page 3

post #41 of 89
Looks great!!! I hope to get some venison this year!
post #42 of 89
Looks very good SB !! icon14.gif
post #43 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Looks great!!! I hope to get some venison this year!

 

Thanks Case  :smile:  You have mule deer out your way too don't you?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterinHoleBrew View Post

Looks very good SB !! icon14.gif

 

Thanks Justin  :smile:  I'm happy with this round  thumb1.gif

post #44 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking B View Post
 

 

Thanks Case  :smile:  You have mule deer out your way too don't you?

 

 

 

Yes we have mule deer and White tail also. The hunts that I like to do have become hard to get anymore, unless you have lots of preference points.

post #45 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post
 

Yes we have mule deer and White tail also. The hunts that I like to do have become hard to get anymore, unless you have lots of preference points.

 

Case,

What is a Preference point?

 

 

Bear

post #46 of 89
Thread Starter 

Hopefully tonight I will be able to start on the pastrami that Foam wants to see  thumb1.gif 

post #47 of 89

:sausage::yahoo::banana_smiley:

post #48 of 89
Thread Starter 

Finally some updates. For the pastrami I soaked it for a bit then gave it a nice coating of garlic, onion, coriander, a little bit of ground clove & a black pepper.

 

 

 

 

Here it is right after.

 

 

 

 

Once I got it coated I wrapped it in saran wrap & put it in the fridge.

 

 

 

 

 

Here are some more pieces ready to go in for dried venison. The one in the bag is for the ham that Todd wanted to see. It had some garlic, onion & a bit of pineapple added to its brine...

 

 

 

 

 

Here are the other pieces just put in the smoker.

 

 

 

Updates to follow...

post #49 of 89

It all looks so amazing!!! Happy new week! Cheers! - Leah

post #50 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 

 

Case,

What is a Preference point?

 

 

Bear

Bear 

 

Anytime you apply for a lottery or draw area to hunt in and dont get picked you recieve a preferance point.If a area gets 100 passes for hunters the top 100 hunters with the most preferance points get to hunt the rest get a point for next time.Once you are selected if you tag out or not you lose your points and can start over.Some areas depending on the game tag can take up to 10 years to get a tag in.

 

Dan 

post #51 of 89

Smoking B

 

Very nice deer meat you did it proud.I was raised on Deer and Elk I wish my mom would of had internet back then to learn some better and differant ways to cook it hahahahhaha

 

Dan

post #52 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandl93 View Post
 

Bear 

 

Anytime you apply for a lottery or draw area to hunt in and dont get picked you recieve a preferance point.If a area gets 100 passes for hunters the top 100 hunters with the most preferance points get to hunt the rest get a point for next time.Once you are selected if you tag out or not you lose your points and can start over.Some areas depending on the game tag can take up to 10 years to get a tag in.

 

Dan 

 

OK----That might be the way we do Elk. Anybody in PA can shoot a deer in any area (except in cities), in some places I guess up to about 5 Deer (which I think is Stupid!!). PA has millions of acres of "State Game Lands" set aside for hunting.

 

Thanks for the reply,

Bear

 

Sorry about the Hijack, Jeremy----I just had to find out what this "Preference Point" thing was.

post #53 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 

 

OK----That might be the way we do Elk. Anybody in PA can shoot a deer in any area (except in cities), in some places I guess up to about 5 Deer (which I think is Stupid!!). PA has millions of acres of "State Game Lands" set aside for hunting.

 

Thanks for the reply,

Bear

 

Sorry about the Hijack, Jeremy----I just had to find out what this "Preference Point" thing was.

 

No problem man - I was curious too...

post #54 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Elisheva View Post
 

It all looks so amazing!!! Happy new week! Cheers! - Leah

 

Thanks Leah  :smile:  Things are all coming along nicely so far...

post #55 of 89
Thread Starter 

I forgot to post this. I finished up the dried venison through the night & this morning.

 

 

 

Here it is right out of the smoker this morning. It will get one last rest in the fridge & I will slice it tomorrow.

post #56 of 89
Thread Starter 

I got the dried venison sliced today. I put it in the freezer for a bit to stiffen up & got out the trusty Hobart.

 

 

 

 

The pieces look tiny on it  :icon_lol:

 

 

 

 

I ended up with this

 

 

 

 

& this.

 

 

 

 

Nice little pile of dried venison  :smile:

 

 

 

 

I'll keep some of the dried venison to eat right away & vac seal the rest...

post #57 of 89

That really looks good .....its so red.....

post #58 of 89

Man that looks great.

 

What model is that slicer.

 

Mine is a 1612, looks just like it.

post #59 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post
 

That really looks good .....its so red.....

 

Thanks Foam  :smile:  it turned out great in my opinion - color, texture, taste & aroma are all spot on & I ended up with just shy of 6 1/2 lbs. of dried venison  :banana_smiley:

post #60 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post
 

Man that looks great.

 

What model is that slicer.

 

Mine is a 1612, looks just like it.

 

Thanks man  :smile:  I'm happy with the way it turned out.

 

The slicer I have is a 1712

 

 

I really like it  PDT_Armataz_01_42.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Wild Game
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Wild Game › Deer Rear - Dried Venison, Pastrami, Ham