or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Grilling Chicken › Reverse Caveman Chicken Drum Sticks in the mini WSM w/ videos
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reverse Caveman Chicken Drum Sticks in the mini WSM w/ videos

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Hopefully our last Winter blast ...  I've been searing steaks in my hot coals so why not chicken so i started with drum sticks. '

 

I have videos if anyone knows an easy way to upload them. The videos are on my computer and on tinypics.  Thanks. 

 


Edited by FWIsmoker - 3/12/14 at 3:10pm
post #2 of 15

That looks really good!

post #3 of 15
Looks tasty Keith! I've done spatched birds that way!

To embed a video you first need to upload to YouTube or some other site then use the video upload link.
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Looks tasty Keith! I've done spatched birds that way!

To embed a video you first need to upload to YouTube or some other site then use the video upload link.

I'm gonna try vimeo when i can get it to work....they are having technical issues now. 

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee_junkie View Post
 

That looks really good!

 

Thanks coffee!  Wanted to try something a little bit different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Looks tasty Keith! I've done spatched birds that way!

To embed a video you first need to upload to YouTube or some other site then use the video upload link.

Thanks Case....got it now.  I just used youtube.

post #6 of 15
Looks great Keith. I did some steak like this tonight. Turned out awesome.
post #7 of 15

Thanks for the great video and pics! Man I wish I could have one of those legs....   :drool:

post #8 of 15

Brings back memories from many years ago!

 

My brother (and I) learned about reverse searing in the coals cooking by accident, when he bought two thick steaks as a surprise dinner for me, while river bank fishing in the spring.  I was supposed to join him after work, but I didn't make it.  Too tired.  He got tired of waiting for me and propped steaks on sticks over the fire as we always did meat.  Well, while he was eating his, leaving mine over the fire, the stick burnt through and steak dropped into hot coals.  "OH CRAP",  He thought. 

He tried fishing (pun intended) it out and ended up just tossing it over a couple of times on the hot wood coals.  He finally got it out of the coals, brushed off the coal residue and tried it.  He ate my steak too.  LOL  True story.

 

We've also cooked bullheads, catfish, trout and pan fish this same way.  Just gut.  Don't bother scaling or peeling bullhead skin.  After it is cooked in fire, you can slide off the skin with your fingers and are left with some great eating right off the bones.  Good stuff!

 

It works great (for steaks anyway) with just tossing them on a hot bed of wood coals. (up front sear) for 3-4 minutes and flip once for another couple of minutes, and eat. 

You want a fire that has burned for hours to build up the coals.  Don't triy it on a new fire that has just burned down to coals.  Too cold yet.

 

I'll never forget the look on my, then to be wife's face, when I tossed two hugh porterhouse right on the coals/embers.  She thought I had lost my mind!   She still married me though.   LOL

 

Today, in deference to family and friends, I put a grate right on the coals and then the meat.  Bunch of sissy's they are.  LOL

 

Only done this with steaks, never thought to reverse sear chicken this way, but now I will.  It looks great!

I'll probably get that same look from her this time too.


Edited by fpmich - 3/13/14 at 1:56am
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post

Looks great Keith. I did some steak like this tonight. Turned out awesome.

 

Sounds good Adam....you don't need no stinking cooking grate!   lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmich View Post
 

Brings back memories from many years ago!

 

My brother (and I) learned about reverse searing in the coals cooking by accident, when he bought two thick steaks as a surprise dinner for me, while river bank fishing in the spring.  I was supposed to join him after work, but I didn't make it.  Too tired.  He got tired of waiting for me and propped steaks on sticks over the fire as we always did meat.  Well, while he was eating his, leaving mine over the fire, the stick burnt through and steak dropped into hot coals.  "OH CRAP",  He thought. 

He tried fishing (pun intended) it out and ended up just tossing it over a couple of times on the hot wood coals.  He finally got it out of the coals, brushed off the coal residue and tried it.  He ate my steak too.  LOL  True story.

 

We've also cooked bullheads, catfish, trout and pan fish this same way.  Just gut.  Don't bother scaling or peeling bullhead skin.  After it is cooked in fire, you can slide off the skin with your fingers and are left with some great eating right off the bones.  Good stuff!

 

It works great (for steaks anyway) with just tossing them on a hot bed of wood coals. (up front sear) for 3-4 minutes and flip once for another couple of minutes, and eat. 

You want a fire that has burned for hours to build up the coals.  Don't triy it on a new fire that has just burned down to coals.  Too cold yet.

 

I'll never forget the look on my, then to be wife's face, when I tossed two hugh porterhouse right on the coals/embers.  She thought I had lost my mind!   She still married me though.   LOL

 

Today, in deference to family and friends, I put a grate right on the coals and then the meat.  Bunch of sissy's they are.  LOL

 

Only done this with steaks, never thought to reverse sear chicken this way, but now I will.  It looks great!

I'll probably get that same look from her this time too.

That is hilarious!    Yep those sissies!  haha.   People act like it's dirt or something, when it's lump charcoal or a real fire there is little ash and what there is can be just blown off.   The red hot coals is about as clean as it gets.       

 

Still laughing at your story....good stuff!  :)

post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWIsmoker View Post
 

 

Sounds good Adam....you don't need no stinking cooking grate!   lol

That is hilarious!    Yep those sissies!  haha.   People act like it's dirt or something, when it's lump charcoal or a real fire there is little ash and what there is can be just blown off.   The red hot coals is about as clean as it gets.       

 

Still laughing at your story....good stuff!  :)

Yep this is one of our favorite tricks to play when camping with other friends or in populated campgrounds. Whip out a pack of steaks and just start throwing them in the fire. Especially effective with big porterhouses or meaty T-bones! The looks and responses can be hilarious!

post #11 of 15

Fun method and great looking food!

 

Disco

post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
 

Fun method and great looking food!

 

Disco

Thanks Disco...YES it is kinda fun, makes me feel like i'm doing things primitive and old school which i suppose it is!   Next up is chicken thighs. 

post #13 of 15

Yep, but not only is it fun to surprise guests, it's the best way to cook steaks I've found yet.  Taste is intense, and unless you left them in too long, very juicy.

post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWIsmoker View Post
 

Thanks Disco...YES it is kinda fun, makes me feel like i'm doing things primitive and old school which i suppose it is!   Next up is chicken thighs. 

 

 

Its a great way to do fajitas. And a friend taught me about London broil that way.

post #15 of 15

Looks great Keith!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Grilling Chicken
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Grilling Chicken › Reverse Caveman Chicken Drum Sticks in the mini WSM w/ videos