or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

texture

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Question, I do a lot of Summer sausage and they come out great but I am looking for the same texture (Not flavor) as like the Hickory Farms s/s, or even the western family S/S. Are they doing more of a fine grind or more pork anything would help

 

tomorrow I am making some Jap s/s and I am going to do 8lbs of 85/15 ground beef 1lb of 80/20ground pork and 1lb of 90/10ground beef. this is a fine grind thru the grinder. I will post as it goes

 

Thanks

post #2 of 14

I am using (Salami) 80/20 beef or ground chuck and pork butt in a 3:2 ratio or 1:1.  It comes out with a perfect texture, moist and you can still see some fat.

 

I tried a SS mix and used 85/15 with just a little pork and it was much drier and sort of grainy.  Same methods and just a different mix and fat content.

 

I use a coarse grind with a 1/2" disk, mist the ingredients and then a medium grind with a 7mm (1/4") disk.  Probably would work just as good with a single 7mm grind.

 

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlan View Post
 

I am using (Salami) 80/20 beef or ground chuck and pork butt in a 3:2 ratio or 1:1.  It comes out with a perfect texture, moist and you can still see some fat.

 

I tried a SS mix and used 85/15 with just a little pork and it was much drier and sort of grainy.  Same methods and just a different mix and fat content.

 

I use a coarse grind with a 1/2" disk, mist the ingredients and then a medium grind with a 7mm (1/4") disk.  Probably would work just as good with a single 7mm grind.

 

that looks great I will give that combo a try thanks rexlan too much snow tonight will have to wait till next weekend now

post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 

This stuff is coming down really good right now

 

 

 

post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
de3ygu9y.jpg9egagy9e.jpgzanu8uqa.jpg

No smoking today lots of shoveling

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by driedstick View Post

de3ygu9y.jpg9egagy9e.jpgzanu8uqa.jpg

No smoking today lots of shoveling

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Been there done that yesterday! We ended up with 26"!!!! Not snowing today, yet...
post #7 of 14

I like Rexlan's mix as well.  Do you use a binder in your mix for SS?  Along with the meat mix that you like a binder like powder'd milk is great for  texture. I know some dont use it but i would not be without it for smoked sausage.  Reinhard

post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by driedstick View Post

Question, I do a lot of Summer sausage and they come out great but I am looking for the same texture (Not flavor) as like the Hickory Farms s/s,


The Hickory Farms is a semidry sausage which will give it a tighter, firmer texture.
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post


Been there done that yesterday! We ended up with 26"!!!! Not snowing today, yet...

It started here again now we are to get 2-4 today again for this valley we usually don't get this much Your summer is looking a lot better get that snow in the mountains huh

post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
 

I like Rexlan's mix as well.  Do you use a binder in your mix for SS?  Along with the meat mix that you like a binder like powder'd milk is great for  texture. I know some dont use it but i would not be without it for smoked sausage.  Reinhard

No binder being used, if I do a pre-mix from the store does it need binder also??

post #11 of 14

 

Driedstick, in my opinion that may be your problem.  I use one cup per 5 pounds of meat.  If you are talking about pre-mixed seasoning you get on line or in a store, most of those done come with a binder like powdered milk.  I add the powdered milk after the first grind along with the seasonings and cure.  The seasonings and cure i mix with the correct amount of water, but the powdered milk i sprinkle on over the meat mix.  Reinhard

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
 

 

Driedstick, in my opinion that may be your problem.  I use one cup per 5 pounds of meat.  If you are talking about pre-mixed seasoning you get on line or in a store, most of those done come with a binder like powdered milk.  I add the powdered milk after the first grind along with the seasonings and cure.  The seasonings and cure i mix with the correct amount of water, but the powdered milk i sprinkle on over the meat mix.  Reinhard


I was thinking the same. I made some bologna last month and made 1 3" chub that had powdered milk. The texture was great. 2 weeks ago we made some summer sausage with out powdered milk and the texture was ok but not nearly as good as the bolonga. I'm going to make another batch of summer sausage soon and will be putting the powdered milk in.

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by driedstick View Post

It started here again now we are to get 2-4 today again for this valley we usually don't get this much Your summer is looking a lot better get that snow in the mountains huh

Yes it was much needed in the mountains, not so much in town though! Warmed up yesterday and turned into a big sloppy mess!!!!
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
 

 

Driedstick, in my opinion that may be your problem.  I use one cup per 5 pounds of meat.  If you are talking about pre-mixed seasoning you get on line or in a store, most of those done come with a binder like powdered milk.  I add the powdered milk after the first grind along with the seasonings and cure.  The seasonings and cure i mix with the correct amount of water, but the powdered milk i sprinkle on over the meat mix.  Reinhard


Reinhard, thanks for all your in put, I will give it a try this weekend, did you do a 50/50 (80/20beef & Pork) or what was this and what is your favorite texture mix?? Thanks again

 

DS.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage