- 70 Posts. Joined 2/2014
- Location: East Alton, Illinois
- Points: 11
- Select All Posts By This User
- topicPulled Porktagged by Davidhef88, 2/1/14
Related Forum Threads
- Maiden sparib voyage Last post on 2/21/16 at 11:32am in General Discussion
- Butt smoke for U of M and OSU game Last post on 11/30/13 at 1:20pm in Pork
- Post Gobble Day Turkey and Butt Last post on 12/1/13 at 7:05am in General Discussion
- New MES 30 and a 8lb pork butt. Last post on 11/26/13 at 8:13am in Pork
- Another Pulled Pork Thread Last post on 11/18/13 at 9:28am in Pork
Blueberry-Cherry Dry Rub for Pork
Last edited: 10/5/13
- Hawg Heaven RubLast edited: 9/28/11
- Here Piggy Piggy BrineLast edited: 6/11/12
- Tutorial Sealing Mated Steam Pans With FoilLast edited: 5/1/11
5 years ago, I bought the Smoker attachment to use as a Grill for my wife and I. Last year, I purchased the Duo Grill. Attached the Smoker immediately and took 13 months before I tried to Smoke...
This is a great smoker for the price. I bought it from Home Depot online for $149. 2 day shipping. So glad I spent the money. My only negative about this smoker is that I cannot set it above 275....
It's a real shame these smokers are not being made like this anymore. Temp control is easy with a tuning plate. Also maintenance is simple as well just like anoy other smoker.
This device offers the greatest kind of grilling possible. Recently a man from Oklahoma rolled into a major BBQ competition with one of these grills on top of a Weber Kettle and took first place in...
I have had it for years, I fire it up, I cook, I shut the dampers and let it cool. then store it. About every third cooking, I give it a though cleaning. I put on a wagon to make it mobile. If...
Need advicepost #1 of 172/1/14 at 7:12amThread StarterHey I am new to the smoking game and need advice. I have a 9lb pork butt to smoke for the Super Bowl tomorrow and I have to work 6pm-6am tonight. Can I have the wife start the butt in the oven in the middle of the night until I get home in the morning to get it into the smoker and still have it turn out good for the game. Please help not sure what to do any advice is much appreciated!!! I am using a Cajun Injector electric smoker by the way, thanks again for any help.
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 172/1/14 at 7:18am
Meat takes on smoke early in the cook. Eventually the pores in the meat close off and accept little to no smoke. Putting it in the oven first will basically defeat the purpose of smoking the butt. Just don't cook it very high in the oven before you move it if you want some smoke flavor.post #3 of 172/1/14 at 7:34am
We are doing pork shoulder roasts for us and a neighbor. We decided that since Church is from 9-12 tomorrow and I have some things to do after church for the church, we would smoke them today. The roasts are coming to room temp as I type. We rubbed them last night and they will smoke for about 10 hours.
We found the last time we did one, (Our first BTW) that it was better the next day and you can warm it any number of ways. we like to just nuke it in small batches.
I have a MES 30" and since it is electric it is very easy for the wife to tend if need be. We did some ribs and she was sick and didn't go to church and I set the temp and put the meat in and she kept is going waiting for me to return and put the bones on the grill to finish them.
Maybe you could have her put it in the smoker and start it and you can finish it when you get home. It will likely only need one refill of chips before you arrive.
Melpost #4 of 172/1/14 at 7:40amThread Starterpost #5 of 172/1/14 at 7:44am
I would put it in before you go to work. A 9 Lb. butt will take close to 2 hrs per lb. if you don't foil. the last one I did that size at 225* took 22 hours with no foil. When the butt is done double wrap it in foil, then wrap in in some clean dry old towels and place it in a cooler. The butt will still be too hot to handle after 3 hours.post #6 of 172/1/14 at 7:45amThread Starterpost #7 of 172/1/14 at 9:24am
Get you wife to at least get it going on the smoker, like Flash said the meat will take on the smoke flavor early, even if she can get several hours of smoke, and has to finish it up inside, you will still get that good flavor. Not ideal, but due to circumstances beyond my control I have had to finish in the oven several times, not the end of the world, in fact most people can't tell the difference, as long as you get some smoke on it, main thing will be the bark.
Garypost #8 of 172/1/14 at 12:45pmThread Starterpost #9 of 172/2/14 at 2:36amThread StarterWell guys just talked to the wife at 4am and she said the butt has some beautiful bark to it and the internal temp is reading 160. Butt has been on for 11.5 hrs so I am hoping that sounds about right. I can't wait to get home at 6 am and check on it.post #10 of 172/2/14 at 3:15am
All seems to be going well. Usually one thread an a subject is plenty. Butts are very forgiving and hard to mess up. I hope yours meet your expectations.
Chuckpost #11 of 172/2/14 at 3:30amThread Starterpost #12 of 172/2/14 at 4:14amQuote:Originally Posted by Davidhef88
I would put it in before you go to work. A 9 Lb. butt will take close to 2 hrs per lb. if you don't foil. the last one I did that size at 225* took 22 hours with no foil. When the butt is done double wrap it in foil, then wrap in in some clean dry old towels and place it in a cooler. The butt will still be too hot to handle after 3 hours.
I had one earlier this year go 23 hours at 220, 9lb'er. I just let it sit on the counter with a towel over it for about three hours (That was after I did taste some, I'm only human).
Usually hit the first stall about 165 - 175post #13 of 172/2/14 at 5:06amThread StarterWell I got home from work and timer on my smoker had turned of 15 min before I got home and cooled down my smoker. I am in the process of heating it up again. I believe I was at a stall because the temp of the butt is reading 158 and it was 160 when I talked to the wife at 4:00am. I hope this little mishap doesn't wreck my first buttpost #14 of 172/2/14 at 5:15ampost #15 of 172/2/14 at 5:48amI have a propane smoker and I want to go bigger. I have seen the wooden smoke house pics on you're site and was looking for the whole instructions. Also do you have any plans for large propane tanks ? Thanks.post #16 of 172/3/14 at 2:38pm
Welcome to the forum. You’ll find great, friendly people here. You’ll also find a ton of info—if you have a question, just ask and you’ll get about 10 answers—all different LOL Sounds like your wife is a lot like mine--up at 4 AM
Garypost #17 of 172/4/14 at 5:49amThread StarterThanks for the welcome Gary I am really looking forward to getting advice and sharing my experiences with everybody. I have already received great feedback & advice for my first pork butt.
- Need advice
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Hawg Heaven Rub
- › Comparison of Pork Butt done 2 ways 53 seconds ago
- › How to get "fall off the bone" smoked ribs? 2 minutes ago
- › Is rump roast a good choice for jerky? 4 minutes ago
- › Just Ordered a New Thermometer - 6 channel 5 minutes ago
- › Sous vide Fried chicken 8 minutes ago
- › Excessive condensation during a cook 12 minutes ago
- › 2017 garlic! 13 minutes ago
- › OKJ Highland Smoke Stack 23 minutes ago
- › Preserving Smoked Salmon 24 minutes ago
- › Back Rib Experiment 31 minutes ago
- › Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill by KevinJD
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by GaryW121
- › Brinkmann Cimarron Limited Deluxe Outdoor Charcoal/Wood Smoker... by ammaturesmoker
- › Santa Maria Attachment for Weber Kettles by ammaturesmoker
- › PRIMO OVAL JUNIOR GRILL/SMOKER by GrillingFool
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey - Which Is...
- › Apple Bourbon BBQ Beans
- › Mississippi Haymaker
- › NICE HUGE SMOKER FOR SALE IN TAHLEQUAH ,OK ...
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods