Well, it finally arrived at lunch time today.
I fitted it together quite easily, and decided I might as well burn some charcoal.
I have half a bag of restaurant lumpwood which I used to set in a horseshoe shape on the grid.
My reasoning was that it should be easier to control the temp of a small amount of charcoal burning in a 'fuse', rather than minion style where a larger quantity of charcoal is all burning at once, from the centre to the outside. Or hot coals accross the top, burning down through unburnt coals.
It all took a while to get going, mainly because my chimney starter doesn't arrive till midweek, and also because to start the colals burning, I used a hot air gun, whose normal job is paint removal.......... but it did the job :)
So the smoker temp rose slowly and stalled at 75C(167F), so I took the cylinder off and added some more pieces of charcoal throughout the horseshoe to bulk it out a bit.
Within 5 minutes it was up to 110C(230F)
Now I had to try and regulate the temp with the vents, and I've read a lot on here about adjusting these, which made the fluctuations a lot smoother - it's a new wsm, I expected some fun getting bedded in. So I got her fairly steady at ~225F, then put on some 1/2 inch beech discs to start the seasoning. Next thing I know - TBS
So now I'm thinking I might as well see if I can smoke some chicken legs, seeing as the charcoal seems to be burning quite slowly. So I went out, bought some chicken, came home, and after reading that it is okay to smoke without brining, added a quick salt/pepper rub and stuck 4 legs on the middle shelf (after adding the empty water bowl), in the hope that this would raise the chicken IT slower, and try to smoke for 2hrs.
Well, after 1.5hrs the IT was 74C(165F), so I had a peep and a prod - all cooked but very little colour change and not that tender...
I moved them onto the top shelf on some ally foil, removed the empty water bowl, and continued for another 15-20 mins until the IT was 80C(176F) - Done. The chicken tasted great with some coleslaw, and I'm boiling the bones'n'bits to make a stock.
Tomorrow, more chicken and some lamb steaks.
I'm going to try removing the chicken skin, brining and a simple rub, then using some water in the pan - just to see how it tastes.
Thanks for the advice I've received and tips I've read on this forum - it's made my first day with the WSM a real pleasure.