Originally Posted by rpeters48
So did my first cold smoke with some sharp cheddar and cream cheese. Used Bradley digital and AMNPS. Used apple pellets with some pecan mixed in at beginning and end (No clue why but sounded fun). Smoked for 3 hours on about 4oz of pellets
Few questions now
1) Would sawdust burn cooler? it was about 27degrees out and smoker stayed about 68-70 with just the AMNPS
2) best way to store to allow smoke flavor to sink in (If it will even)
3) not as much color but smells strong
I'm a complete noob with four lb of smoked cheese, cream cheese, and butter waiting for the first judgement day....but here are my thoughts:
1. Haven't used dust, but a 40 deg gain with the AMNPS sounds really high. I was getting 15-20 gains with the AMNPS in a MES30. I was getting so much smoke that it didn't hurt to pull open the door when temps started to climb.
2. I vac sealed mine at between 4 and 24 hours since removing from smoke, and kept notes on each piece to see which I prefer once I taste test. Once vac sealed I put some in the beer fridge and some in the basement to see what works. You can also oil and wrap, and there was a fantastic thread on here about sealing cheese in wax and doing it right.
3. I don't believe there is a direct connection between smoke color and smoke flavor, but I could be wrong.
Happy smoking, from one newbie ruining cheese to another!