or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Non-fish Seafood › For The Love Of Conch!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

For The Love Of Conch! - Page 2

post #21 of 38
Thread Starter 

OK so now I am totally deprived, or feel that way, as I have ne ver had "hogfish!" That sounds delicious! I must try it! Thank you for this!!! You see? The power of suggestion! I'll see if my fishmonger can get some sent up, or else, I just may, have to move to Key West!!

 

I love learning!!! That is so fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here is to Hogfish!!! Thank you, thank you!!! My next quest!!!!

 

And Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Cheers! - Leah

post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
 

Its all good, it just hit me that I might have missed the removal of the ban. The gov keeps hitting us with more and more restriction. Lobster has gone from no limits to 6 per person per day. It is necessary to maintain a viable fishery. Anyhoo, if you folks get down to the Keys and are looking to try an excellent fish, hogfish is a sure bet. I see it has become available commercially.


No, the ban hasn't changed. In fact, there's current pressure to ban the importation of conch to the US from all sources.

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2013/oct/25/catastrophe-if-33m-conch-exports-banned/

 

Hogfish is wonderful, though I've never seen it outside of the Keys. I've personally never prepared it myself, but I've had it many times at the Hogfish Bar & Grill on Stock Island by Key West. I can't remember which, but it also shows up occasionally as a menu special at either B. O.'s Fish Wagon or Blue Heaven.

post #23 of 38
Howdy, Leah!

Your conch dishes look wonderful! I've never eaten it. Your "local" stuff is what we used to call 'whelks.' I have harvested many whilst raking clams on the sounds of NC. I was never able to make the meat much more than a tough and strong tasting meat that was not worth the effort. I'm sure our ignorance of proper preparation technique was the problem. We used to boil them then place a fish hook behind the operculum (foot) and hang them until the meat came out.

Yours look delicious. Thank you for sharing .
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Elisheva View Post
 

OK so now I am totally deprived, or feel that way, as I have ne ver had "hogfish!" That sounds delicious! I must try it! Thank you for this!!! You see? The power of suggestion! I'll see if my fishmonger can get some sent up, or else, I just may, have to move to Key West!!

 

Here's an online source for Hogfish > http://keysfisheries.com/restaurant/

 

I love learning!!! That is so fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here is to Hogfish!!! Thank you, thank you!!! My next quest!!!!

 

And Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Cheers! - Leah

post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dls1 View Post
 


No, the ban hasn't changed. In fact, there's current pressure to ban the importation of conch to the US from all sources.

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2013/oct/25/catastrophe-if-33m-conch-exports-banned/

 

Hogfish is wonderful, though I've never seen it outside of the Keys. I've personally never prepared it myself, but I've had it many times at the Hogfish Bar & Grill on Stock Island by Key West. I can't remember which, but it also shows up occasionally as a menu special at either B. O.'s Fish Wagon or Blue Heaven.

 

Hogfish extend all the way from the Caribbean up into the Carolinas on the Atlantic coast. So does Panulirus argus, the Caribbean spiny lobster. Both will be few and far between, but they are usually huge! You can find 5 species of lobster in Florida. Spanish lobster which have the same body shape as the Caribbean just smaller, slipper lobster which look like a spiny version of a giant roach, shovel nose lobster which look like a smooth version of a roach and I have forgotten the name of the other shovel nose type. By far the best tasting are the shovel nose. Super sweet meat.


Edited by Dogboa - 12/24/13 at 12:20pm
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
 

 

Hogfish extend all the way from the Caribbean up into the Carolinas on the Atlantic coast. So does Panulirus argus, the Caribbean spiny lobster. Both will be few and far between, but they are usually huge! You can find 5 species of lobster in Florida. Spanish lobster which have the same body shape as the Caribbean just smaller, slipper lobster which look like a spiny version of a giant roach, shovel nose lobster which look like a smooth version of a roach and I have forgotten the name of the other shovel nose type. By far the best tasting are the shovel nose. Super sweet meat.


I didn't realize hogfish were found that far North. I've only encountered them in the Keys.

 

I'm pretty familiar with the Caribbean spiny and slipper lobsters, but don't much about the shovel nose variety. If I've ever had them, it's been so long ago that I've forgotten about it. Also, I think I read somewhere that the shovel nose are more commonly found further North in the Panhandle.

post #27 of 38
Thread Starter 

Well thank you all indeed!!

 

And for the link that provides hogfish (Dls1) and the lovely mention of spiny lobsters (Dogboa) and also the "whelks" (Rabbithutch)!

 

It's just sensational to read of it all and now I'm salivating like some Pavlovian Pup, and excited to try something new!

 

Meanwhile, such fantastic fodder and food/mood discussion! I only wish we were sitting around a table of fantastic fish, and spectacular libation, and chatting about it all in person!

 

For now however, such fabulous threads!!! Thank you for such! It's pretty wonderful! Cheers! - Leah

post #28 of 38

some nice looking plates but I wouldn't eat any of them, don't like raw conch.  when I was in the Bahamas I did fall in love with grilled conch and conch stew though, they would remove the conch from the shell and cross hatch it season it and plop it on the grill, was still very very good, and the stew was to die for.

 

Steve

post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by stircrazy View Post
 

some nice looking plates but I wouldn't eat any of them, don't like raw conch.  when I was in the Bahamas I did fall in love with grilled conch and conch stew though, they would remove the conch from the shell and cross hatch it season it and plop it on the grill, was still very very good, and the stew was to die for.

 

Steve

Sorry to interrupt on Leah's thread but if you do it ceviche style it isn't really raw, it is cooked by the acids. Trust me, give it a try!

 

Disco

post #30 of 38
Thread Starter 

Merry Christmas Steve! Your grilled conch tastes must have been terrific too!

 

And Disco is correct, as the ceviche has the fabulous raw, cold taste but is "softened" due to acidic seasoning.

 

Here's a super simple "at home" version of my conch ceviche, that I like to make for guests, and it is so easy and yet WON-DER-FUL...

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

1. Chop up raw conch meat, tomatoes, garlic, and fresh cilantro.

 

2. Throw that into a glass casserole dish and squeeze two fresh limes like crazy, over it all, sprinkle cayenne pepper over it, sprinkle great sea salt over it, and drizzle fabulous olive oil over it.

 

3. Toss it all up really well - thoroughly coating it all terrifically - and wrap that up in your fridge for 4 hours.

 

Take out, and scoop into dishes or martini glasses or cleaned out "shells" themselves, as serving dishes etc.; and without re-seasoning or retouching a single thing, you'll be astounded at how delicious this "simple" version is!!!! I love it!!!

 

It's great with some sliced avocado alongside, and it's lovely with black rice...

 

And if you're looking for some other cooked conch ideas, here's a video from some while back. Enjoy!

 

 

OK, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make today delicious!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers! - Leah

post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dls1 View Post
 


I didn't realize hogfish were found that far North. I've only encountered them in the Keys.

 

I'm pretty familiar with the Caribbean spiny and slipper lobsters, but don't much about the shovel nose variety. If I've ever had them, it's been so long ago that I've forgotten about it. Also, I think I read somewhere that the shovel nose are more commonly found further North in the Panhandle.


Most follks don't know because they are only taken by spearfishing.

post #32 of 38

Delicious! Scungilli, my favorite food. 

 

Amazing recipes, and beautiful presentations.

 

Besides satisfying my gastronomic fantasies, I saved the shells to make into interesting home items.

 

dcarch

 

A Conch Sconce

 

A gravy boat

 

A candle

post #33 of 38
Thread Starter 

Oh Dcarch; these are magnificent! That's so artistic and creative and amazing!!! Thank you tons! And for sharing your ART!

 

Terrific! Just absolutely outstanding!!!

 

Cheers! - Leah

post #34 of 38

You must be a food artist as your plating always makes my mouth water.

post #35 of 38
Yo Dcarch,
That sconce is so cool looking. And the gravy boat looks so natural, like that's how it was meant to be used. Excellent work.
post #36 of 38
Thread Starter 

Thank you so much Bear55! I'm not any food artist, but am indeed a food EATER! Smiles. Many many thanks!

 

And agreed Humdinger, those conch pieces from Dcarch are just terrific!!! Amazing stuff!

 

Cheers! - Leah

post #37 of 38

Hey Leah

Never eaten conch, but love abalone.  After this presentation, I WILL be looking for conch.  Thanks for a great show

Gary

post #38 of 38
Thread Starter 

Thanks very much Gary!!! My next video series starts in April; and I am showcasing some fun and unique tasty treats!!! Meanwhile, I'm glad that you enjoyed this indeed!!! Delicious stuff!!! Cheers!!! - Leah

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Non-fish Seafood
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Non-fish Seafood › For The Love Of Conch!