or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Canning & Storage › Freezing the Last of the Garlic Crop
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Freezing the Last of the Garlic Crop

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

I love growing and eating my own garlic. The stuff they sell in the supermarkets around here is soft and bland. Unfortunately, this is about as long as last years garlic lasts without sprouting so I freeze any garlic I have left just before Christmas. I peel the cloves and freeze them on a cookie sheet. It was minus 8 here today so I froze them outside. Then I put them in a container in the freezer to use as needed. They aren't as good as fresh but they are better than the store bought!

 

 

Disco

post #2 of 14
Disco, morning..... We do the same...... If you have a vac-pack, vac pack them to keep them from dehydrating.... I put them in a narrow bag, clip the top, take out what we need and reseal the bag..... works really good for us.....

Dave
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

Disco, morning..... We do the same...... If you have a vac-pack, vac pack them to keep them from dehydrating.... I put them in a narrow bag, clip the top, take out what we need and reseal the bag..... works really good for us.....

Dave

Thanks, Dave. We just put them in a container and freeze them. I've never had problems with them dehydrating but the don't last all that long so I guess they don't get a chance.

 

Disco

post #4 of 14

That's so fabulous! And here I thought that I had cornered the market on five star flatulence, and keeping all vampires (and preferably neighbors) away!

 

But freezing your garlic, and your own grown garlic??? That is the best!!! You have sensational ideas!!! Love it!!!

 

Merry Christmas Eve!!!!!!!!!! That's such a very wonderful idea!!! Cheers! - Leah

post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Elisheva View Post
 

That's so fabulous! And here I thought that I had cornered the market on five star flatulence, and keeping all vampires (and preferably neighbors) away!

 

But freezing your garlic, and your own grown garlic??? That is the best!!! You have sensational ideas!!! Love it!!!

 

Merry Christmas Eve!!!!!!!!!! That's such a very wonderful idea!!! Cheers! - Leah

Har! Thanks, Leah. However, I find it hard to believe anyone eats more garlic than the Missus and I. Good thing we both love it or we wouldn't ever get near each other.

 

As for growing my own garlic, it is almost a necessity. The garlic in the supermarkets here is imported from China. It is soft, under-flavoured and doesn't keep long. Once you've tried home grown, your doomed. You just can't go back.

 

Disco

post #6 of 14

That sounds so good! I must try growing it and see! Fantastic idea! And we say the same! It's fantastic that we both devour it, although asphyxiating a dog or two (they like to burrow under the covers at night) isn't kind, and I do feel badly.

 

OK, Merry Christmas to you both!!! I will try that when able to plant and do (next year). Cheers! - Leah

post #7 of 14
[/QUOTE]
Har! Thanks, Leah. However, I find it hard to believe anyone eats more garlic than the Missus and I. Good thing we both love it or we wouldn't ever get near each other.

As for growing my own garlic, it is almost a necessity. The garlic in the supermarkets here is imported from China. It is soft, under-flavoured and doesn't keep long. Once you've tried home grown, your doomed. You just can't go back.

Disco
[/quote]

+++++++++++++++++++

I agree with the garlic flavor in the store...... but...... Eating more garlic (???) is probably a toss up..... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif ... You noted that on purpose to see if I was awake this morning..... Merry Christmas Disco... and to the missus....

Your neighbor to the south.......
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

[/QUOTE]
Har! Thanks, Leah. However, I find it hard to believe anyone eats more garlic than the Missus and I. Good thing we both love it or we wouldn't ever get near each other.

As for growing my own garlic, it is almost a necessity. The garlic in the supermarkets here is imported from China. It is soft, under-flavoured and doesn't keep long. Once you've tried home grown, your doomed. You just can't go back.

Disco
[/quote]

+++++++++++++++++++

I agree with the garlic flavor in the store...... but...... Eating more garlic (???) is probably a toss up..... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif ... You noted that on purpose to see if I was awake this morning..... Merry Christmas Disco... and to the missus....

Your neighbor to the south.......

 

Har! I know you grow more than I do, Dave but we do love our garlic. 

 

May your season be flavourful and fun! Merry Christmas.

 

Disco

post #9 of 14

And yet another post I missed! Doh! My computer must be operating slow in the cooler weather.

 

Mmmmmm......... Garlic, it rates up there with salt. I chop and freeze green onion tops, bell pepper, but never thought of garlic.

post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post
 

And yet another post I missed! Doh! My computer must be operating slow in the cooler weather.

 

Mmmmmm......... Garlic, it rates up there with salt. I chop and freeze green onion tops, bell pepper, but never thought of garlic.

I suspect your stores sell better garlic than ours do. It is soft textured and mild. Even my frozen home grown is better than what they sell for fresh in the supermarket.

 

Disco

post #11 of 14

I tried...  I think it may get too hot in Texas to grow good garlic.  We go though a bunch of garlic in a years time. It would be neat to grow my own.  

Disco, question. I get that the garlic at the store may not be the best quality. But Why don't you just dry it and keep it in a bin? Is the fresh / frozen route better? 

post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSkelly View Post
 

I tried...  I think it may get too hot in Texas to grow good garlic.  We go though a bunch of garlic in a years time. It would be neat to grow my own.  

Disco, question. I get that the garlic at the store may not be the best quality. But Why don't you just dry it and keep it in a bin? Is the fresh / frozen route better? 

I have dried garlic and dried it and ground it. It is ok but, for cooking, I prefer the frozen garlic.

 

As for it being too hot in Texas, they grow garlic in Italy and North Africa, it is just a matter of getting the right varieties. If you go to your local garden centre, I bet thay have some.

 

Disco

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
 

I have dried garlic and dried it and ground it. It is ok but, for cooking, I prefer the frozen garlic.

 

As for it being too hot in Texas, they grow garlic in Italy and North Africa, it is just a matter of getting the right varieties. If you go to your local garden centre, I bet thay have some.

 

Disco

Thanks for the tip big D. I'll check it out this spring. So.. Next question. Is the frozen garlic more potent than dried? If that why you prefer it for cooking? 

post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSkelly View Post
 

Thanks for the tip big D. I'll check it out this spring. So.. Next question. Is the frozen garlic more potent than dried? If that why you prefer it for cooking? 

It's not a matter of potency. Dried garlic takes a lot longer to prepare and isn't any better for most dishes so freezing is just easier.

 

Disco

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Canning & Storage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Canning & Storage › Freezing the Last of the Garlic Crop