I have cooked many things in the past and it always does it in half the time. here is the example for today.
Turkey that is 20 pounds.
- raised the temperture to get the chips hot and then lowered the temp to 225.
- Put in the middle of my vertical smoker because of the size of it.
- checked the temp 15 minutes later and the temp raised to 250. I adjusted and brought it down to 230 and that was the lowest it would go.
- I have it on the lowest heat it will go.
- and right now it has been 4 1/2 hours, and the turkey is ready 155 internal.
there is temp gauge on the box and it says the temp is warm. But I double check with a temp gauge that I place in there and it gives me the exact temp. I put the temp gauge above and below the turkey to see what it says.
I have a brikmann Gas vertical smoker. and I live in Georgia if that matters. and I expected the turkey to take around 11 hours and clearly not half the time. but it's no big deal because I can just adjuct to eating the turkey cold.
and here is a picture it looks like.
I have a water pan and chip pan in it as well. and my water is apple juice. and it seems to go faster then other people I know. I would say within two hours I need to fill the pan up with more apple juice.