or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Ideas › Too much water on hillside garden?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Too much water on hillside garden?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

How do I prove or rule out to much water on a hillside garden. 

 

Also, are french drains a good idea?

post #2 of 7
Dig a hole and see if it fills up.... Raised beds will reduce the effect of too much water.... or a French drain if you have somewhere to move it to..... or an open trench to move the water...
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 

Would you put the French or trench on the upslope(higher ground) or down slope(lower ground)? If need be.

post #4 of 7

I believe you generally put the drain on the downslope side.

 

We had one put in the entire length of one side of our property, it was always soggy - now it stays firm and the drain works great.

post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsilver View Post

Would you put the French or trench on the upslope(higher ground) or down slope(lower ground)? If need be.


The French drain goes on the uphill side of the water problem area, and the French Drain, drain line, carries the water where ever you want it to go.....
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post


The French drain goes on the uphill side of the water problem area, and the French Drain, drain line, carries the water where ever you want it to go.....

 

:77::77::77::77:

 

.... listen to Dave for he is wise! ... and lives in Washington where a fish can survive on land for 6 months out of the year because it rains so damn much! lol

post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIRodriguez View Post
 

 

:77::77::77::77:

 

.... listen to Dave for he is wise! ... and lives in Washington where a fish can survive on land for 6 months out of the year because it rains so damn much! lol

 

Yup---Dave would be my goto guy on this too!!!

He has a green thumb too!!

 

They might not get as much rain as we do, but they get more rainy days.

 

 

Bear

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ideas
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Ideas › Too much water on hillside garden?