so... I am brand new to smoking. I have never done it myself. I just got back into hunting after many years and plan on smoking venison for jerky, pepperrettes and sausages.
I just got my hands on an old fridge that is metal outside and in. I know the following:
1. I have to change out the door seal for the type on ovens.
2. I need to have a vent at the top. I will pick one up from home depot.
3. I need a thermometer installed. again, home depot.
4. I need to use proper grates, the ones in the fridge can poison me. Cabelas sells grates for smoking that will fit the interior of the fridge
Here is what I do not know....
1. Do I need an air intake at the bottom? If so... how big?
2. This is the biggest question.... Since I have never smoked, I simply don't know how to do it. I know some people use an element for the heat source, and some fire the wood. I dont know which way to go. so... I dont know if I should be looking into getting an element or not.
Since I will be smoking venison, I know I can't cold smoke, so the smoke/heat souce has to be in the bottom of the unit.
I would really appreciate any tips/tricks/advice to help me with my build.
Thanks in advance!!