I'm new to the forums and had a question for all of you, figured your the experts on meat so it should be a good place to start.
First off, a comment:
the "Smoking Supplies & Equipment" area should have a topic for all other equipment... for questions like this one (unless I missed this Topic somewhere)
Info on me:
I am 31, from Michigan but living (in a camper) and working in North Dakota as a truck driver in the oil fields. I am single and will mainly be using this grinder for myself to make 3-10lbs of burger or sausage at a time. I do plan to start making all my own burger once I get the hang of it.
Now the Question(s):
I am looking into getting a Meat Grinder, mainly to make burger and sausage from Venison mixed with beef and/or pork . I have never bought one, but have used some in the past (think my dad has a #5 one from gander mountain which seemed to work good)
1. What does the "#5, #8, #12 etc..." thing mean, I see them with these numbers but have no clue what it stands for
2. How important is HP? Is bigger always better?
3. I see a lot of them have plastic gears and I have seen these strip out before on cheap grinders. Should I try to find one with metal gears or are the plastic ones normally fine?
4. I plan on looking in the $70 - $120 range (online price), is this realistic for a decent one?
5. I only want to buy this 1 time, So I would prefer to go bigger then I need. I would rather have way to much power then not enough.(I know its not a question) =P
6. I have seen some good prices on "SunMile" grinders has anyone used them?
I am sure that I have forgotten some things so please feel free to add any questions or comments that might help with this.
Any help, links, tips are welcome here... I am hoping to buy one this week so I can get grinding some deer.
Thank you in advance,