or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Tri-Tip Cooking Question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tri-Tip Cooking Question

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

I saw a Tri-Tip in the local Publix the other day and had never heard of it. I am from NJ and it seems the local foods in FL are much different. After reading up on the tri-tip in this forum, I want to test it out this weekend. 

 

What are the best ways to cook up the tri-tip? Is it something that people like to inject? Should it be done straight on the grill, wrapped, etc? It seems that most people feel that garlic and salt are the way to go. Any other seasonings, flavors or sauces that go well? I love teriyaki. Does anyone have marinade or injection with teriyaki in it for a tri-tip?

 

What is the best temp to cook at? We prefer medium- medium rare; what internal temp would I pull of to reverse sear if I wanted it at med rare? 

 

Thanks in advance everyone!

post #2 of 16

I like tri-tip seared direct then finished indirect to 135*F.  I use SPOG (Salt, Pepper, Granulated Onion, and Granulated Garlic).  I slice 90* across the grain and serve with horseradish. 

 

Careful how you slice it: Tri Tip has a cpl different grain directions.


Edited by Bama BBQ - 11/19/13 at 5:31pm
post #3 of 16
I like to run my smoker at 265*. I prefer a combination of cherry and pecan ( can't get the traditional red oak here). I don't really care about getting a sear on mine so I smoke it until the internal temp hits 130-135. Wrap in foil and let rest for a good 45 minutes and serve. Like Bama said the grain runs a couple directions. If you cut through the point of the boomerang then slice 90 to that you should be close to cutting across the grain.
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 

That sounds really good Dirt. I was planning on using pecan and cherry as well.

post #5 of 16

Looks good too!

 

Here's my little tutorial that shows the cut sequence for cutting across the grain:

 

Cut one

 

 

Then 90° to that cut for the rest of the length. Sometimes it will change again, but not often.

 

 

Same for the other side.

 

 

 

 

Good luck and post some photos of your cook!

post #6 of 16
Pace dawg,
If you prefer medium to medium-rare, cook it to 135-140. We did a tri-tip for the Lions game a couple weeks ago and everyone was happy with 140 becuase it had medium on the outer edges for some guys and medium rare in the middle for others. That included a half hour rest under foil tent.
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 

Great tips. Thank's everyone!

post #8 of 16

That looks soooooo yummy great job.

post #9 of 16

I'm a bit late to the party, but I love cooking tri-tip. I Jaccard (You can fork) the meat then marinade for an hour or two before cooking. The marinade I use is Kikkoman teriyaki (orange cap) and crushed garlic I go with around 6-8 cloves for two tips. Then out of the marinade and hit with a bit of kosher salt and cracked pepper. On indirect with oak and cherry wood to 130f and rest in foil.

 

I also "glaze" mine with a mustard bullion pepper sauce after the meat has turned reddish from the smoke.

post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post
 

 

This is some very good looking tri-tip.

post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 

Unfortunately, the grocery only had pre cut Tri's. They were cut in sections of 3. My wife bought them but I ended up smoking Ribs instead. I really wanted to smoke a whole piece of Tri. I did however experiment with the Tri pieces on Sunday. I threw one piece in a Teriyaki and the other in Balsamic to marinade. The last piece I doused in EVOO. I grilled all three up on my propane grill. I have to say, we were missing out on Tri Tips up in the North East. I am glad I live in the South East as I never would have heard of these. I still want to get a hold of a whole Tri-Tip to smoke ASAP. I plan on doing a simple salt based rub as I really liked the taste of the EVOO coated TRI.

post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacedawg View Post
 

Unfortunately, the grocery only had pre cut Tri's. They were cut in sections of 3. My wife bought them but I ended up smoking Ribs instead. I really wanted to smoke a whole piece of Tri. I did however experiment with the Tri pieces on Sunday. I threw one piece in a Teriyaki and the other in Balsamic to marinade. The last piece I doused in EVOO. I grilled all three up on my propane grill. I have to say, we were missing out on Tri Tips up in the North East. I am glad I live in the South East as I never would have heard of these. I still want to get a hold of a whole Tri-Tip to smoke ASAP. I plan on doing a simple salt based rub as I really liked the taste of the EVOO coated TRI.


Simple rub of salt and pepper is my favorite method to use.

post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post
 


Simple rub of salt and pepper is my favorite method to use.

That sounds good. I'll probably throw a little garlic in there as well. I love garlic. . .

post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacedawg View Post
 

That sounds good. I'll probably throw a little garlic in there as well. I love garlic. . .


Typically I do SPOG. Salt, pepper, onion, garlic! Not always the onion, but always garlic, and sometimes paprika! I like to throw chipotle in the mix too.

post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 

Chipotle sounds great

post #16 of 16

If your grilling the Tri-Tip try marinating it in Paul Newman's Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing, family loves it.   

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Tri-Tip Cooking Question