Am in the planning stage of building a wood construction smoke house. My first question is about the type of lumber to use. I know not to use anything treated and have been scanning builds in the forums. It seems cedar is the main choice. Is there a reason to use cedar over other woods? I was thinking about using red oak, is this a suitable wood? Would definitely appreciate any and all thoughts and comments. Thanks to all.
- categorySmokerstagged by Davidhef88, 11/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- grates made from a grocery cart? Last post on 11/30/13 at 9:17am in UDS Builds
- Stainless Steel! Last post on 11/23/13 at 6:13pm in Charcoal Smokers
- Operation: Turkey Gobble. Now with bonus Q-vue! Last post on 12/18/13 at 7:36am in Reverse Flow
- My 1st UDS build!! Last post on 3/7/14 at 10:33am in UDS Builds
- UDS Build in Progress Last post on 1/12/14 at 10:52pm in UDS Builds
I've had mine for more than 6 years and I really struggled through the first year with it getting too hot and burning up food. I was ready to give up and just use it as a charcoal grill. Then I...
I installed this and it worked flawlessly.
I was able to make half a burger before the press portion of the burger maker broke. Had to finish the burgers using the machine and my hands, pushing manually. Push down handle and clip broke...
I really enjoyed this smoker - It is being retired for a Old Country Pecos
The family got this for me for a birthday gift ( I chose it, they paid for it). I did not get the WIFI version. Got it home, assembled it (easy) and fired it up. The temp would not stabilize, it...
Wood for build?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Hello zom. I think cedar is just a choice thing ( visual appeal, no painting needed? ). Others have used other woods including ply. I would have been worried about ply; glues and all, but that is what Pops made his from. If Pops gives his OK, good enough for me. I see no reason red oak will not work fine. As you said, as long as it ain't treated should be fine. Good luck. Keep Smokin!
- Wood for build?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › First butt on the new MES with Q view 1 minute ago
- › Reverse Sear Burgers - First crack 7 minutes ago
- › Calling all Smoke Hollow owners! 9 minutes ago
- › Tough turkey 11 minutes ago
- › Sunday Brisket! 13 minutes ago
- › Sous Vide Country Style Ribs (Grill to Finish) 19 minutes ago
- › ThermoPro TP20 any good? 27 minutes ago
- › Elk round steak. 29 minutes ago
- › Simple dinner 33 minutes ago
- › Stocking up on pork butts! 39 minutes ago
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › "Uncured" hot dogs, bacons
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients