Am in the planning stage of building a wood construction smoke house. My first question is about the type of lumber to use. I know not to use anything treated and have been scanning builds in the forums. It seems cedar is the main choice. Is there a reason to use cedar over other woods? I was thinking about using red oak, is this a suitable wood? Would definitely appreciate any and all thoughts and comments. Thanks to all.
- categorySmokerstagged by Davidhef88, 11/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- grates made from a grocery cart? Last post on 5/28/17 at 4:50am in UDS Builds
- Stainless Steel! Last post on 11/23/13 at 6:13pm in Charcoal Smokers
- Operation: Turkey Gobble. Now with bonus Q-vue! Last post on 12/18/13 at 7:36am in Reverse Flow
- My 1st UDS build!! Last post on 3/7/14 at 10:33am in UDS Builds
- UDS Build in Progress Last post on 1/12/14 at 10:52pm in UDS Builds
I've been very impressed with this smoker.The slow smoker attachment is actually a cold smoking device.Made smoked cheese,scallops and found the flavor to be just right.
Wish I had read this site before purchasing my Traeger grill from Home Depot. Luckily I was within the 90 days for returns. Like other posts - the pellets would not feed into the hopper - I...
I've owned two smokers. This one does a GREAT JOB for a lower end priced electric smoker. I've created some amazing smoked food in this smoker. I would recommend getting this smoker if you want to...
I've had my SH smoker for about 2.5 years... took a while to get the draft set exactly where I wanted it, but once that was right it's been a dream to use. Under most conditions, and for most of...
Wood for build?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Hello zom. I think cedar is just a choice thing ( visual appeal, no painting needed? ). Others have used other woods including ply. I would have been worried about ply; glues and all, but that is what Pops made his from. If Pops gives his OK, good enough for me. I see no reason red oak will not work fine. As you said, as long as it ain't treated should be fine. Good luck. Keep Smokin!
- Wood for build?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Please help. 1 minute ago
- › Bunch Of Smoked Birds 9 minutes ago
- › 5x8 AMNPS does not fit beside the element my MES30 16 minutes ago
- › Intake issues with Oklahoma Joe's Highland 17 minutes ago
- › Finished the direct heat cook 23 minutes ago
- › PERFECT RIBS EVERY TIME! This really works! 26 minutes ago
- › Hog dimensions. 27 minutes ago
- › Can't get smoke at 225 degrees 28 minutes ago
- › Boneless beef short ribs 29 minutes ago
- › Beef for Shish Kabobs 29 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by ronaldjallen1
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Outdoor Leisure 34168G Smoke Hollow Propane-Gas Smoker by raider2119
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Jeff Houser
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Smokingmax
- › Weber Summit S-670 by Grillin Joey
- › Old Country Brasos by SomeTexasSmoker
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by PaulJ
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ