Am in the planning stage of building a wood construction smoke house. My first question is about the type of lumber to use. I know not to use anything treated and have been scanning builds in the forums. It seems cedar is the main choice. Is there a reason to use cedar over other woods? I was thinking about using red oak, is this a suitable wood? Would definitely appreciate any and all thoughts and comments. Thanks to all.
- categorySmokerstagged by Davidhef88, 11/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- grates made from a grocery cart? Last post on 11/30/13 at 9:17am in UDS Builds
- Stainless Steel! Last post on 11/23/13 at 6:13pm in Charcoal Smokers
- Operation: Turkey Gobble. Now with bonus Q-vue! Last post on 12/18/13 at 7:36am in Reverse Flow
- My 1st UDS build!! Last post on 3/7/14 at 10:33am in UDS Builds
- UDS Build in Progress Last post on 1/12/14 at 10:52pm in UDS Builds
Got this for convenience and the ease of smoking at tailgates or events without pulling the stick burner. Smoked several meals on it now. While I was assembling the smoker, i saw the wood chip tray...
If you ever wanted to make sausage and jerky this is the book that will get you started. Easy step-by-step instructions show you how to bone out a deer for sausage and jerky. Also includes both...
I know it's bad form to be underwhelmed by this book, but am I the only one who actually read it? There are duplicated parts, there is no discernible order to it, and it is mostly aimed at people...
I received this smoker as a gift - it's the 30" model. I read in the forums here about some mods to improve functionality and I did them: installed a base and casters, added some insulation around...
I received the 38' Smoky Hollow with the glass door at Christmas, and have done about 5 smokes so far. The unit is roomy enough to do a 12+ lb. brisket and much more. After two smokes, I ordered a...
Wood for build?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Hello zom. I think cedar is just a choice thing ( visual appeal, no painting needed? ). Others have used other woods including ply. I would have been worried about ply; glues and all, but that is what Pops made his from. If Pops gives his OK, good enough for me. I see no reason red oak will not work fine. As you said, as long as it ain't treated should be fine. Good luck. Keep Smokin!
- Wood for build?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Coleslaw 51 seconds ago
- › Belly burnt ends 8 minutes ago
- › Gyros 11 minutes ago
- › Hello From Phoenix AZ. 11 minutes ago
- › New to the forum, long time smoker 12 minutes ago
- › UDS Question - Cold Weather 17 minutes ago
- › Fillet Mignon (Getting my Money’s Worth) 17 minutes ago
- › Electric noob 21 minutes ago
- › New pellet smoker test cook with Spatchcocked chicken (pics) 29 minutes ago
- › Hello from Michigan 32 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › Masterbuilt Two Door Propane Smoker by JASinIL2006
- › Outdoor Leisure Products Smoke Hollow 38202G by csparrazza
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by mikeg1218
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by fivebadgers
- › GMG by Kirby27
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by racecar1439
- › Maverick ET-732 Remote Check Wireless Thermometer With 2 Probes by MyOwnIdaho
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine