Am in the planning stage of building a wood construction smoke house. My first question is about the type of lumber to use. I know not to use anything treated and have been scanning builds in the forums. It seems cedar is the main choice. Is there a reason to use cedar over other woods? I was thinking about using red oak, is this a suitable wood? Would definitely appreciate any and all thoughts and comments. Thanks to all.
- categorySmokerstagged by Davidhef88, 11/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- grates made from a grocery cart? Last post on 11/30/13 at 9:17am in UDS Builds
- Stainless Steel! Last post on 11/23/13 at 6:13pm in Charcoal Smokers
- Operation: Turkey Gobble. Now with bonus Q-vue! Last post on 12/18/13 at 7:36am in Reverse Flow
- My 1st UDS build!! Last post on 3/7/14 at 10:33am in UDS Builds
- UDS Build in Progress Last post on 1/12/14 at 10:52pm in UDS Builds
I bought the Weber 26.75" grill mainly for the larger grilling area. I have owned Weber's 22.5" grills for over 50 years now, I'm on my 3rd one now, but now needed more grilling area, and the...
Forgive me if I write a lot of drivel, bu this is my first review of a product on this forum: I had gotten a 12" A-maze-n tube and used it to smoke cheese last year (on my old grill), and...
I purchased this smoker to again give smoking a try. I had been a avid meat/fish smoker years ago long before all of the temperature controlled available smokers & temperature monitoring equipment...
I called Lisa from www.vacuumsealersunlimited.com, A nicer more helpful person you wont find. She walked me through the options and helped me select the VP215. This thing is the bomb! I grabbed a...
Bought this at KMart on a special sale and we've had this grill for about five years now and it has held up pretty well except the underside of the grill. The grease pan/tray that leads to the...
Wood for build?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Hello zom. I think cedar is just a choice thing ( visual appeal, no painting needed? ). Others have used other woods including ply. I would have been worried about ply; glues and all, but that is what Pops made his from. If Pops gives his OK, good enough for me. I see no reason red oak will not work fine. As you said, as long as it ain't treated should be fine. Good luck. Keep Smokin!
- Wood for build?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › New to forum 1 minute ago
- › 2nd run at bacon 4 minutes ago
- › Smoke Tronix on Amazon 8 minutes ago
- › Wood pellets or wood chips? 14 minutes ago
- › Maple Sugar Glazed Pecans 15 minutes ago
- › Weber issue? 18 minutes ago
- › Bday dinner 41 minutes ago
- › Brisket at the Beach 59 minutes ago
- › Smoked Cheese Grits with bacon, onion and mushrooms. 1 hour ago
- › BB's On The GMG !! 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › Weber 781001 26.75-Inch One-Touch Gold Charcoal Grill by jesse624
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Mohole15
- › Meco 5031 Charcoal Combo Water Smoker by W2HR
- › VacMaster VP215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer by TripleQ
- › Kenmore 4 burner split lid with sear station and side burner gas grill by Cornman
- › Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill by erikself
- › Bradley Digital 4- Rack Smoker by hoekma
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by WickedPigeon
- › Char-Griller 9040 by Chicken Man 911
- › Masterbuilt 20070213 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Front... by Wilkesctywildma