This morning I pulled out a slab of some bacon I cured and smoked about a month ago which had been sitting in my basement refrigerator and it had mold on it. My search of the forum seems to indicate that mold isn't a problem and I can just cut off that part of the bacon. I wondering why I got the mold on it. It's the first time it's happened. I've only been curing bacon for about a year or so now, so I'm still pretty new to all this. I dry cured it using Martin's cure calculator. Put the bellies in zip lock bags in the fridge for two weeks. Let them sit out in the fridge for almost a week to get the pellicle. Cold smoked them in a Brinkman Griller-Smoker using an AMZNPS for a total of about 12 hours - 6 hours on Saturday and 6 hours on Sunday. I have a hard time keeping the AMZNPS going for long periods of time so I put everything away and started again the next day. I cleaned out the zip lock bags and put the smoked bellies back in the bags and put them in the fridge. This is my last part of the belly and had no problems with the other parts. Anything in particular I'm doing wrong? The fridge is pretty cold. I keep my beer in there as well.
- topicBacon Makingtagged by Davidhef88, 11/10/13
Dry Cured Bacon Calculator And Procedure
Last edited: 3/20/12
- Butterflying A Pork Butt For Buckboard BaconLast edited: 3/23/15
- Bearcarvers Smoked Bacon Step By Step With QviewLast edited: 11/17/10
- Canadian Bacon Basic TechniqueLast edited: 7/2/10
Purchased one of these instead of buying a Yoder Smoker Wichita. Was reluctant because of the negative reviews but the price was right for $380, verses the Yoder for $1600. Once purchased I used...
Have owned this smoker for 2 weeks now. Smoked on it 5 times and every time everything on it turned out great. I have had experience smoking on some like it. So no learning curve at all for it....
This is actually a review for Traegers customer service. I don't own a Traeger, but I borrowed and damaged one. I have a Yoder 640. I had loaded 70lbs of pork into it, and went to bed. In the...
This is a good smoker for the beginner who does not want to get to involved with staying up all night monitoring temp/coals. Just fill the hopper and set the temp, when it is warmed up toss in your...
Overall I am very pleased with my Smoke Hollow smoker. IT is a great unit for me, I bought at Sams for less than 400 after taxes. The entire unit itself comes in at over 76 inches in total length...
Mold on Baconpost #1 of 511/9/13 at 2:35pmThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 511/9/13 at 4:09pmpost #3 of 511/9/13 at 7:11pmpost #4 of 511/9/13 at 8:20pm
Cured and smoked meats, over a period of time, will develop mold, just part of the aging process. The salt draws moisture out of the cured meat, which collects on the surface, and the conditions are prime to make mold (cold, dark, wet). Just check it frequently and wipe it off as you see it. Best thing is to freeze it before the mold occurs, after a few weeks, up to 6 months frozen.
- Mold on Bacon
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Butterflying A Pork Butt For Buckboard Bacon
- › Darn Tasty Armadillo Eggs 1 minute ago
- › New to the site in North Carolina 19 minutes ago
- › Paul Bunyan Discada ? 22 minutes ago
- › How long to cure? 24 minutes ago
- › HOT & FAST BUTT, with JUDY'S PRETZEL BUNS, THANKS MossyMo! 40 minutes ago
- › HELP: Why did half of the casing come off my sausages? 41 minutes ago
- › 12.5 brisket done in 5 hours..WTH 44 minutes ago
- › Grilla Silverbac 45 minutes ago
- › first sausage attempt 49 minutes ago
- › Love Affair with Grilled Yardbirds 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by Joseph Varaksa
- › Smokin-it model 3 by smokin-pete
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by montanashawn
- › Camp Chef Camp Chef Pellet Grill & Smoker Deluxe by CHRISTOPH
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by PhillipLeondria
- › Masterbuilt Dual-fuel Pro by StillAqua
- › Smoke Hollow 44241G2 44-Inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker by kentluman
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by jjcreole
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by tjdcorona
- › Weber 711001 Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker, 14.5-Inch by Cornman