This morning I pulled out a slab of some bacon I cured and smoked about a month ago which had been sitting in my basement refrigerator and it had mold on it. My search of the forum seems to indicate that mold isn't a problem and I can just cut off that part of the bacon. I wondering why I got the mold on it. It's the first time it's happened. I've only been curing bacon for about a year or so now, so I'm still pretty new to all this. I dry cured it using Martin's cure calculator. Put the bellies in zip lock bags in the fridge for two weeks. Let them sit out in the fridge for almost a week to get the pellicle. Cold smoked them in a Brinkman Griller-Smoker using an AMZNPS for a total of about 12 hours - 6 hours on Saturday and 6 hours on Sunday. I have a hard time keeping the AMZNPS going for long periods of time so I put everything away and started again the next day. I cleaned out the zip lock bags and put the smoked bellies back in the bags and put them in the fridge. This is my last part of the belly and had no problems with the other parts. Anything in particular I'm doing wrong? The fridge is pretty cold. I keep my beer in there as well.
- topicBacon Makingtagged by Davidhef88, 11/10/13
Dry Cured Bacon Calculator And Procedure
Last edited: 3/20/12
- Butterflying A Pork Butt For Buckboard BaconLast edited: 3/23/15
- Bearcarvers Smoked Bacon Step By Step With QviewLast edited: 11/17/10
- Canadian Bacon Basic TechniqueLast edited: 7/2/10
I bought the Weber 26.75" grill mainly for the larger grilling area. I have owned Weber's 22.5" grills for over 50 years now, I'm on my 3rd one now, but now needed more grilling area, and the...
Forgive me if I write a lot of drivel, bu this is my first review of a product on this forum: I had gotten a 12" A-maze-n tube and used it to smoke cheese last year (on my old grill), and...
I purchased this smoker to again give smoking a try. I had been a avid meat/fish smoker years ago long before all of the temperature controlled available smokers & temperature monitoring equipment...
I called Lisa from www.vacuumsealersunlimited.com, A nicer more helpful person you wont find. She walked me through the options and helped me select the VP215. This thing is the bomb! I grabbed a...
Bought this at KMart on a special sale and we've had this grill for about five years now and it has held up pretty well except the underside of the grill. The grease pan/tray that leads to the...
Mold on Baconpost #1 of 511/9/13 at 2:35pmThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 511/9/13 at 4:09pmpost #3 of 511/9/13 at 7:11pmpost #4 of 511/9/13 at 8:20pm
Cured and smoked meats, over a period of time, will develop mold, just part of the aging process. The salt draws moisture out of the cured meat, which collects on the surface, and the conditions are prime to make mold (cold, dark, wet). Just check it frequently and wipe it off as you see it. Best thing is to freeze it before the mold occurs, after a few weeks, up to 6 months frozen.
- Mold on Bacon
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Butterflying A Pork Butt For Buckboard Bacon
- › Rotisserie pork steaks "vertically" 2 minutes ago
- › Which A-MAZE-N Smoker 2 minutes ago
- › Venison brats with Hi Mountain Seasonings 8 minutes ago
- › Slap Ya Mama Sticks 9 minutes ago
- › Calling all Smoke Hollow owners! 21 minutes ago
- › Chipotle Lime & Mesquite CBP 25 minutes ago
- › Winter Smoking Help 34 minutes ago
- › Using Kiln Dried Lumber? 37 minutes ago
- › Greeting from the bottom of the barrel. 43 minutes ago
- › Experiment results 50 minutes ago
- › Weber 781001 26.75-Inch One-Touch Gold Charcoal Grill by jesse624
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Mohole15
- › Meco 5031 Charcoal Combo Water Smoker by W2HR
- › VacMaster VP215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer by TripleQ
- › Kenmore 4 burner split lid with sear station and side burner gas grill by Cornman
- › Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill by erikself
- › Bradley Digital 4- Rack Smoker by hoekma
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by WickedPigeon
- › Char-Griller 9040 by Chicken Man 911
- › Masterbuilt 20070213 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Front... by Wilkesctywildma