I'd like to try dry curing coppa and other dry cured meats and have seen a lot of DIY curing cabinets, but they all require refridgeration, fans, meters= electricity. How did our [great?]grandfathers do it??
- categoryCuringtagged by Bama BBQ, 11/8/13
Related Forum Threads
- 1st cornned Beef Last post on 11/20/13 at 6:37pm in Smoke Houses
- Corned Beef Brine Last post on 3/12/14 at 7:46am in Beef
- Curing Humidity Last post on 10/31/13 at 5:16am in Curing
- Rookie at dry curing...... Last post on 10/30/13 at 10:09am in Pork
- Calculating bacon cure time using Morton® Tender Quick® or Sugar Cure® (Plain or... Last post on 9/21/15 at 2:47pm in Curing
Making Your Own Curing Salts
Last edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
5 years ago, I bought the Smoker attachment to use as a Grill for my wife and I. Last year, I purchased the Duo Grill. Attached the Smoker immediately and took 13 months before I tried to Smoke...
This is a great smoker for the price. I bought it from Home Depot online for $149. 2 day shipping. So glad I spent the money. My only negative about this smoker is that I cannot set it above 275....
It's a real shame these smokers are not being made like this anymore. Temp control is easy with a tuning plate. Also maintenance is simple as well just like anoy other smoker.
This device offers the greatest kind of grilling possible. Recently a man from Oklahoma rolled into a major BBQ competition with one of these grills on top of a Weber Kettle and took first place in...
I have had it for years, I fire it up, I cook, I shut the dampers and let it cool. then store it. About every third cooking, I give it a though cleaning. I put on a wagon to make it mobile. If...
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And Process
Dry curing the old fashioned way without electricity??
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Lots of Salt and only started the process in the colder months. In PA, Grandpa slaughtered the Hogs the end of October when the outside temps were no higher than mid 40's and then did all the curing and smoking in a 8' X 10' Block Building behind the house. Coppa and Prosciutto is made all over Italy but those made in the South are much Saltier than those made in the North...JJ
Well JJ, I guess that's another bad idea of mine as here in northern Thailand it drops down to the 60's for a month in the winter, if we're lucky. There are some higher mountains that do remain cool up at 3,000 to 4,000ft elevation, but too far away.
Thanks for popping my bubble............
If you have a small space in a fridge you can use umai dry bags and do a lonzino or lomo (dry cured pork tenderloin). (I am sure you can do it without the bags as well but it makes it simple to do in a tight space) Of course, if you have more room you can do pancetta, capicola, prosciutto, or bresaola as well. Unfortunately, the process calls for refrigeration.
- Dry curing the old fashioned way without electricity??
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Brisket, Burnt Ends, Football 12 minutes ago
- › Why is my bacon wet? 17 minutes ago
- › Patrons of the Mt. Pleasant Meijer store should get hepatitis A... 28 minutes ago
- › Country Style Ribs (SV & Grill) Best Ever! 1 hour, 22 minutes ago
- › South Western YardBird and Waffles 1 hour, 58 minutes ago
- › Dry aging chuck? 4 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › Going to try these 6 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt XL Smokers On Sale $157.00 6 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › griz's pork / rib rub 6 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › Comparison of Pork Butt done 2 ways 6 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill by KevinJD
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by GaryW121
- › Brinkmann Cimarron Limited Deluxe Outdoor Charcoal/Wood Smoker... by ammaturesmoker
- › Santa Maria Attachment for Weber Kettles by ammaturesmoker
- › PRIMO OVAL JUNIOR GRILL/SMOKER by GrillingFool
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey - Which Is...
- › Apple Bourbon BBQ Beans
- › Mississippi Haymaker
- › NICE HUGE SMOKER FOR SALE IN TAHLEQUAH ,OK ...
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods