I'd like to try dry curing coppa and other dry cured meats and have seen a lot of DIY curing cabinets, but they all require refridgeration, fans, meters= electricity. How did our [great?]grandfathers do it??
- categoryCuringtagged by Bama BBQ, 11/8/13
Related Forum Threads
- 1st cornned Beef Last post on 11/20/13 at 6:37pm in Smoke Houses
- Corned Beef Brine Last post on 3/12/14 at 7:46am in Beef
- Curing Humidity Last post on 10/31/13 at 5:16am in Curing
- Rookie at dry curing...... Last post on 10/30/13 at 10:09am in Pork
- Calculating bacon cure time using Morton® Tender Quick® or Sugar Cure® (Plain or... Last post on 9/21/15 at 2:47pm in Curing
Making Your Own Curing Salts
Last edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
I bought the Weber 26.75" grill mainly for the larger grilling area. I have owned Weber's 22.5" grills for over 50 years now, I'm on my 3rd one now, but now needed more grilling area, and the...
Forgive me if I write a lot of drivel, bu this is my first review of a product on this forum: I had gotten a 12" A-maze-n tube and used it to smoke cheese last year (on my old grill), and...
I purchased this smoker to again give smoking a try. I had been a avid meat/fish smoker years ago long before all of the temperature controlled available smokers & temperature monitoring equipment...
I called Lisa from www.vacuumsealersunlimited.com, A nicer more helpful person you wont find. She walked me through the options and helped me select the VP215. This thing is the bomb! I grabbed a...
Bought this at KMart on a special sale and we've had this grill for about five years now and it has held up pretty well except the underside of the grill. The grease pan/tray that leads to the...
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And Process
Dry curing the old fashioned way without electricity??
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Lots of Salt and only started the process in the colder months. In PA, Grandpa slaughtered the Hogs the end of October when the outside temps were no higher than mid 40's and then did all the curing and smoking in a 8' X 10' Block Building behind the house. Coppa and Prosciutto is made all over Italy but those made in the South are much Saltier than those made in the North...JJ
Well JJ, I guess that's another bad idea of mine as here in northern Thailand it drops down to the 60's for a month in the winter, if we're lucky. There are some higher mountains that do remain cool up at 3,000 to 4,000ft elevation, but too far away.
Thanks for popping my bubble............
If you have a small space in a fridge you can use umai dry bags and do a lonzino or lomo (dry cured pork tenderloin). (I am sure you can do it without the bags as well but it makes it simple to do in a tight space) Of course, if you have more room you can do pancetta, capicola, prosciutto, or bresaola as well. Unfortunately, the process calls for refrigeration.
- Dry curing the old fashioned way without electricity??
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Question on liquid during cursing period 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › My First Smoker Build, Please help 1 hour, 44 minutes ago
- › Smoking newb with a Masterbuilt 1 hour, 48 minutes ago
- › Ole Hickory CTO 2014 1 hour, 52 minutes ago
- › Deer Summer Sausage 2 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › JarJar Mini (Jumbo ) Build w/Pics 2 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › 12 racks of goodness 2 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › Brittle! 2 hours, 54 minutes ago
- › Baffle advice 3 hours, 26 minutes ago
- › Addicted in Houston, TX 3 hours, 28 minutes ago
- › Weber 781001 26.75-Inch One-Touch Gold Charcoal Grill by jesse624
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Mohole15
- › Meco 5031 Charcoal Combo Water Smoker by W2HR
- › VacMaster VP215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer by TripleQ
- › Kenmore 4 burner split lid with sear station and side burner gas grill by Cornman
- › Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill by erikself
- › Bradley Digital 4- Rack Smoker by hoekma
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by WickedPigeon
- › Char-Griller 9040 by Chicken Man 911
- › Masterbuilt 20070213 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Front... by Wilkesctywildma