- 44 Posts. Joined 5/2013
- Location: Austin, TX
- Points: 10
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Maiden sparib voyage Last post on 2/21/16 at 11:32am in General Discussion
- may just have had my easiest and fastest smoke ever!!! Last post on 12/23/14 at 2:29pm in Pork
- My 11lb pork butt journey Last post on 11/18/13 at 7:06am in General Discussion
- Butt Old School, Foamheart Last post on 11/6/13 at 11:40am in Pork
- First Smoke Ever - Shoulders - I Have Questions! Last post on 12/1/13 at 4:13pm in Pork
Hawg Heaven Rub
Last edited: 9/28/11
- Here Piggy Piggy BrineLast edited: 6/11/12
- Tutorial Sealing Mated Steam Pans With FoilLast edited: 5/1/11
I bought the Weber 26.75" grill mainly for the larger grilling area. I have owned Weber's 22.5" grills for over 50 years now, I'm on my 3rd one now, but now needed more grilling area, and the...
Forgive me if I write a lot of drivel, bu this is my first review of a product on this forum: I had gotten a 12" A-maze-n tube and used it to smoke cheese last year (on my old grill), and...
I purchased this smoker to again give smoking a try. I had been a avid meat/fish smoker years ago long before all of the temperature controlled available smokers & temperature monitoring equipment...
I called Lisa from www.vacuumsealersunlimited.com, A nicer more helpful person you wont find. She walked me through the options and helped me select the VP215. This thing is the bomb! I grabbed a...
Bought this at KMart on a special sale and we've had this grill for about five years now and it has held up pretty well except the underside of the grill. The grease pan/tray that leads to the...
Has anybody used a feral hog for pulled porkpost #1 of 1211/4/13 at 7:31pmThread StarterI ask because I am going hog hunting soon and gathering ideas for the meat since in Texas we are not allowed to donate feral hog meat to food banks. I am sure I will give a lot if it away but I want to prepare some of it. Any other ideas besides pulled pork?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 1211/4/13 at 7:59pm
Hello Vandy. You can do anything with wild you can do with domestic BUT you need to add pork fat/fatback to it. Wild tends to be too lean. It's like wild venison. For pulled I'd smoke some pork fat low and slow, pull from the smoker and then do the wild joint. Add them together at the end. Makes good sausage. For something like a shoulder or uncured "ham" I'd wrap in thick sliced bacon. Ribs, do as baby back ( 3 2 1 ). The taste will be different but I doubt you will be disappointed. I think once you give 'er a try not much will be given away. Just my opinion. Good luck. Keep Smokin!
Dannypost #3 of 1211/5/13 at 5:37amQuote:
Wow. Any idea why that is? You'd think with the feral hog problem that would be a good source of free meat for the needy.post #4 of 1211/5/13 at 5:51amThread StarterI do know why it is. Feral hogs like most pigs have diseases. The state feels they don't know how the meat was handled so they will not allow the meat to be donated. In order to get "approved" feral hog meat they have to go through an inspection period alive then slaughtered at a state approved slaughter house. Basically, they want to make money off the needy. It is estimated that Texas has over 2.5 million hogs. There were 800k confirmed kills last year and the population grew by 400k. To hunt these bastards I have to pay to get on land because there is very little public land in the state. I offer to kill some for ranchers, they decline or want to charge me,then ask the government to get rid of them for free. Kind of sucks. They are a rapidly growing pest that people profit on.post #5 of 1211/5/13 at 5:54ampost #6 of 1211/5/13 at 6:44ampost #7 of 1211/5/13 at 6:56am
I use wild hog the same way I use store bought. As said above it is very lean. It makes good PP and great sausage.
Davidpost #8 of 1211/5/13 at 4:04pmThread Starterpost #9 of 1211/7/13 at 8:09pm
Not given to food banks. A while ago, a couple seasons as TV goes to be exact, I was watching that Texas based hog hunter show and they a pen full of Boar they had caught and it was all destined for the food bank.post #10 of 1211/7/13 at 10:01pm
As previously said, sausage is really good but have to add some fat. And ditto on the sow. If you get a boar, roast it whole and brush/spray bottle with red wine vinegar. Helps take the gamey taste out & tenderizes. Knew a kid years ago that would catch them alive (baby ones) with his dogs and castrate them for land owners and would take them to TN and sell. Called them a Bar. Meat was very tender when grown to harvest size.
Stevepost #11 of 1211/9/13 at 6:04pmThread StarterThat is allowed, has to be monitored and tested by state officials then slaughtered in a state run slaughter housepost #12 of 1211/9/13 at 6:45pmWhen smoking wild boar, hog, peccary etc., it really helps to brine and inject them. And cook at a low temp. Because the meat is much leaner you want to do what you can to add and retain moisture and flavor as much as possible. I've used an apple cider vinegar as a main brine component to compliment the pork and to counter the gamey taste.
- Has anybody used a feral hog for pulled pork
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Here Piggy Piggy Brine
- › I dont want to ruin a prime rib 34 minutes ago
- › Smoked Salmon 49 minutes ago
- › Hello from central WV!! 2 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › Smoked Venison Roast 2 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › Pork loin rib roast 3 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › Red oak 3 hours, 52 minutes ago
- › Dowels for hanging sausage in a smoke house. 4 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › Roll Call 5 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › Food Proofer Conversion is happeneing 5 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › Sausage Stuffer ?? 6 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Weber 781001 26.75-Inch One-Touch Gold Charcoal Grill by jesse624
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Mohole15
- › Meco 5031 Charcoal Combo Water Smoker by W2HR
- › VacMaster VP215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer by TripleQ
- › Kenmore 4 burner split lid with sear station and side burner gas grill by Cornman
- › Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill by erikself
- › Bradley Digital 4- Rack Smoker by hoekma
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by WickedPigeon
- › Char-Griller 9040 by Chicken Man 911
- › Masterbuilt 20070213 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Front... by Wilkesctywildma