SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Pork Sides Soon to be Bacon with Pops Brine
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pork Sides Soon to be Bacon with Pops Brine - Page 2

post #21 of 35

Very good looking bacon.  I really like the color.

post #22 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSwede View Post
 

Trying to figure out how far Marathon is from Buffalo, and whether I can make it in time....


Save the gas, you are going to knee high in bacon at your house this week end.

post #23 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTrain74 View Post
 

Oh man, I need some BACON!

I don't really need it but I told my wife this is the good cholestral.........none better!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
 

Oh, I could use some of that bacon. I love back (Canadian) bacon and Buckboard Bacon but nothing replaces belly bacon and this looks great.

 

Disco

This is my first belly bacon and I agree with you. There is a flavor in that belly fat that you don't get with BBB.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcutter View Post
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That is the money shot! Even Bearcarver would be proud of that.

 

Beautiful meaty bacon! BTW it will cook better with age. When ya finish smoking don't make any assumptions until you allow it to rest for at least a week. I know you can't believe it could get any better, but it does!

 

There is just something about bacon, never met anyone that said, I don't like bacon! Besides could you believe a person like that? Probably would kick dogs too!

Thanks Foam! Can't wait and won't wait too long. I'm taking some to the cabin while the rest is resting in the fridge. My wife was getting a cooler ready with some ice and said all the ice in that fridge is smoked. I said good.

post #24 of 35
My stash of bacon is almost gone.

I will report back to you on pops brine warm smoked if you want.
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcutter View Post
 

I don't really need it but I told my wife this is the good cholestral.........none better!

 

This is my first belly bacon and I agree with you. There is a flavor in that belly fat that you don't get with BBB.

 

Thanks Foam! Can't wait and won't wait too long. I'm taking some to the cabin while the rest is resting in the fridge. My wife was getting a cooler ready with some ice and said all the ice in that fridge is smoked. I said good.

 

DAMN!! I never thought of smoking ice! Have a pecan smoked frozen margarita!  LOL

post #26 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post

My stash of bacon is almost gone.

I will report back to you on pops brine warm smoked if you want.


Yes please. I'm so happy with the way this turned out I'm going to be hard pressed to try anything different. I would try warm smoking to see the difference.

post #27 of 35
I went from brine and cold smoke to dry cure and warm smoking.

I want to see the difference too.

Maybe the best of both worlds.
post #28 of 35

You need to try it for yourself. Its like dry rub cure vs. wet brine cure, its all personal.

 

Bear has a really good scale posted on one of his threads, with an all day smoke to I think either 130 or 140. It makes beautiful color but you really have to watch it close. With winter coming, it would be a  great time for it too. It was an experience back in August in south Louisiana...LOL

 

Of course with that bacon of yours it seems you have the secrets all figured out already.

post #29 of 35
Foam, I use bears dry cure. Its very good.
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post

Foam, I use bears dry cure. Its very good.

 



Yes it is.... Its all a personal call. Rub vs. Brine, vent open vent closed, fireburner vs electric, cold smoke vs. warm smoke, pecan vs. cherry, chips vs. pellets, wax on wax off, etc ... Its why there is no perfect smoke, only the one you like and master. Its really all about enjoying the time spent learning, the cool folks you meet and those smiles you receive while experimenting.

Damn and that great smell you bring in the house on your hands and clothes.......LOL
post #31 of 35

Woodcutter-

 

Such a great qview. I'm pulling 2 bellies out of Pop's brine tomorrow. Wasn't sure about forming the pellicle but I'm going to let them sit in a water bath for an hour or 2, and then put them on racks with a fan on. Just normal room temp? I'm kind of lost on this one. After that I plan on cold smoking with apple wood. No real set time frame, just a couple of AMNPS of apple. Since I am cold smoking in my MES 30 should I try to get as much smoke and not open the vent? Really just guessing here as these will be my first bellies. Not really trying to reach any IT on these either right? Just cold smoke and thats it? Any help is greatly appreciated. BTW I let them sit in Pop's brine for 13 days. Can it go too long in the brine?

post #32 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Trachet View Post
 

Woodcutter-

 

Such a great qview. I'm pulling 2 bellies out of Pop's brine tomorrow. Wasn't sure about forming the pellicle but I'm going to let them sit in a water bath for an hour or 2, and then put them on racks with a fan on. Just normal room temp? I'm kind of lost on this one. After that I plan on cold smoking with apple wood. No real set time frame, just a couple of AMNPS of apple. Since I am cold smoking in my MES 30 should I try to get as much smoke and not open the vent? Really just guessing here as these will be my first bellies. Not really trying to reach any IT on these either right? Just cold smoke and thats it? Any help is greatly appreciated. BTW I let them sit in Pop's brine for 13 days. Can it go too long in the brine?


Thanks! When you take your belly meat out, rinse it with cold water. Then slice a few small pieces and fry them in a pan to see how the saltiness tastes to you. If it is too salty soaking it in water will help a little. Do another test after soaking. Then let it form the pellicle in front of the fan. The pellicle is simply drying the outside of the belly to form a light skin. You can touch lightly with your fingers and they will stay dry or very slightly sticky.

 

Smoke with your vent open so fresh smoke keeps passing over the bacon. I was happy with filling the AMNPS with apple pellets twice. I lit the AMNPS on both ends so it took 6-8 hours per fill. When cold smoking, the bacon will remain raw like the bacon that you buy at the store so you do not need to monitor the temp unless you are worried about it freezing.

 

Pop's said the brine will start to breakdown at around 35 days. You're in good shape at 13 days.

 

Good luck! I think you are going to be happy.

post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcutter View Post
 


Thanks! When you take your belly meat out, rinse it with cold water. Then slice a few small pieces and fry them in a pan to see how the saltiness tastes to you. If it is too salty soaking it in water will help a little. Do another test after soaking. Then let it form the pellicle in front of the fan. The pellicle is simply drying the outside of the belly to form a light skin. You can touch lightly with your fingers and they will stay dry or very slightly sticky.

 

Smoke with your vent open so fresh smoke keeps passing over the bacon. I was happy with filling the AMNPS with apple pellets twice. I lit the AMNPS on both ends so it took 6-8 hours per fill. When cold smoking, the bacon will remain raw like the bacon that you buy at the store so you do not need to monitor the temp unless you are worried about it freezing.

 

Pop's said the brine will start to breakdown at around 35 days. You're in good shape at 13 days.

 

Good luck! I think you are going to be happy.

Woodcutter--I have it on the racks with a fan on. Hoping for a great pellicle. My buddy that gave these to me wanted peppered and the other belly wasn't carved well so that one will be mine. I seriously have been thinking about this bacon nonstop since I started this project. I think the next thing I'm going to do is the "Mailbox mod" to my MES.  photo2.JPG 120k .JPG file  

post #34 of 35

Sorry for the last post. I see I added the picture wrong. Anyway here are my bellies, Fan on, forming the pellicle!!  LOL! Exciting I know!!

post #35 of 35
Thread Starter 

That is a nice batch of bacon. I'm sure it is not going to be your last batch of bacon.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Pork Sides Soon to be Bacon with Pops Brine