How crucial is it to have the correct humidity while dry curing items such as salami and proscuitti. I have an old fridge I am thinking of turning into a curing chamber but I am not sure how to control the humidity in it. I would assume the humidity would be lower then most recipes recommend. Would there be any health threats?
- categoryCuringtagged by Venture, 10/31/13
Related Forum Threads
- 1st cornned Beef Last post on 11/20/13 at 6:37pm in Smoke Houses
- Dry curing the old fashioned way without electricity?? Last post on 11/8/13 at 6:21am in Curing
- Corned Beef Brine Last post on 3/12/14 at 7:46am in Beef
- Rookie at dry curing...... Last post on 10/30/13 at 10:09am in Pork
- Calculating bacon cure time using Morton® Tender Quick® or Sugar Cure® (Plain or... Last post on 9/21/15 at 2:47pm in Curing
Making Your Own Curing Salts
Last edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
5 years ago, I bought the Smoker attachment to use as a Grill for my wife and I. Last year, I purchased the Duo Grill. Attached the Smoker immediately and took 13 months before I tried to Smoke...
This is a great smoker for the price. I bought it from Home Depot online for $149. 2 day shipping. So glad I spent the money. My only negative about this smoker is that I cannot set it above 275....
It's a real shame these smokers are not being made like this anymore. Temp control is easy with a tuning plate. Also maintenance is simple as well just like anoy other smoker.
This device offers the greatest kind of grilling possible. Recently a man from Oklahoma rolled into a major BBQ competition with one of these grills on top of a Weber Kettle and took first place in...
I have had it for years, I fire it up, I cook, I shut the dampers and let it cool. then store it. About every third cooking, I give it a though cleaning. I put on a wagon to make it mobile. If...
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And Process
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Above is a chart of brine solutions that will give you humidities for what you are processing....
Low humidities will cause a skin to form on the outside of the meat and not allow for proper drying.... Causing the meat to spoil later in time....
I think potassium chloride is "Lite Salt" that is available at all grocery stores... It may not give the same results as pure potassium chloride, as it has fillers and stuff in it.... You may have to purchase the good stuff on line.....
Izzie, morning..... the saturated salt solution, of your choice, goes inside the curing chamber, set at the appropriate temperature.... Your curing chamber should have a very small fan for air circulation.....
Now the curing chamber is at the specified Relative Humidity.... It's Physics.....
If your fridge has the cooling coils exposed to the interior air, humidity will collect as ice/frost, on the refrigeration plates...... That will lower the humidity in the refer.... the salt solution will give up water to equilibrate the interior of the fridge..... distilled water will have to be added to the "brine" periodically as it evaporates..... If you add "tap water" to the brine, the salt solution will change RH% control.... This is probably a moot point but ...... necessary so you understand the process so it is done properly...
- Curing Humidity
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › OK so any scientific reason why one should not use water or any... 1 minute ago
- › Designing My Build - Opinions Appreciated 6 minutes ago
- › Pepper question 13 minutes ago
- › Hello from Pennsylvania 15 minutes ago
- › Need help choosing the best smoker 15 minutes ago
- › central Mississippi checking in 17 minutes ago
- › First chicken legs on WSM 14" 23 minutes ago
- › 2 Racks 2 Rubs 24 minutes ago
- › New Smoker (OK Joe) 24 minutes ago
- › How to get "fall off the bone" smoked ribs? 27 minutes ago
- › Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill by KevinJD
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by GaryW121
- › Brinkmann Cimarron Limited Deluxe Outdoor Charcoal/Wood Smoker... by ammaturesmoker
- › Santa Maria Attachment for Weber Kettles by ammaturesmoker
- › PRIMO OVAL JUNIOR GRILL/SMOKER by GrillingFool
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey - Which Is...
- › Apple Bourbon BBQ Beans
- › Mississippi Haymaker
- › NICE HUGE SMOKER FOR SALE IN TAHLEQUAH ,OK ...
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods