How crucial is it to have the correct humidity while dry curing items such as salami and proscuitti. I have an old fridge I am thinking of turning into a curing chamber but I am not sure how to control the humidity in it. I would assume the humidity would be lower then most recipes recommend. Would there be any health threats?
- categoryCuringtagged by Venture, 10/31/13
Related Forum Threads
- 1st cornned Beef Last post on 11/20/13 at 6:37pm in Smoke Houses
- Dry curing the old fashioned way without electricity?? Last post on 11/8/13 at 6:21am in Curing
- Corned Beef Brine Last post on 3/12/14 at 7:46am in Beef
- Rookie at dry curing...... Last post on 10/30/13 at 10:09am in Pork
- Calculating bacon cure time using Morton® Tender Quick® or Sugar Cure® (Plain or... Last post on 9/21/15 at 2:47pm in Curing
Making Your Own Curing Salts
Last edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
I really enjoyed this smoker - It is being retired for a Old Country Pecos
The family got this for me for a birthday gift ( I chose it, they paid for it). I did not get the WIFI version. Got it home, assembled it (easy) and fired it up. The temp would not stabilize, it...
Bought my T. JR 5 years ago at a Costco roadshow. It made for an affordable start in the smoking and pellet cooker space. Easy setup, but on burn-in the controller and fan burned out. ...
Loving the extra room on the LUX. (Bought as Cabela's Magnum) Smoked 3 turkeys (at once) for thanksgiving and for SuperBowl did a 14lb brisket and 8 chicken quarters at the same time. I...
This thermometer is very accurate and the distance to the monitor is really good. I have had no problems with the probes as others have stated. BUT......it is a big pain to program!!!! Actually I...
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And Process
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Above is a chart of brine solutions that will give you humidities for what you are processing....
Low humidities will cause a skin to form on the outside of the meat and not allow for proper drying.... Causing the meat to spoil later in time....
I think potassium chloride is "Lite Salt" that is available at all grocery stores... It may not give the same results as pure potassium chloride, as it has fillers and stuff in it.... You may have to purchase the good stuff on line.....
Izzie, morning..... the saturated salt solution, of your choice, goes inside the curing chamber, set at the appropriate temperature.... Your curing chamber should have a very small fan for air circulation.....
Now the curing chamber is at the specified Relative Humidity.... It's Physics.....
If your fridge has the cooling coils exposed to the interior air, humidity will collect as ice/frost, on the refrigeration plates...... That will lower the humidity in the refer.... the salt solution will give up water to equilibrate the interior of the fridge..... distilled water will have to be added to the "brine" periodically as it evaporates..... If you add "tap water" to the brine, the salt solution will change RH% control.... This is probably a moot point but ...... necessary so you understand the process so it is done properly...
- Curing Humidity
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › What pellets with what food? 7 minutes ago
- › NEW SAUSAGE SMOKER 18 minutes ago
- › Smoked Tialpia on Little Chief 20 minutes ago
- › Join 2day 22 minutes ago
- › Pulled Pork tomorrow, general discussion about situaiton 26 minutes ago
- › Pulled pork injection question 31 minutes ago
- › Woke up and found my corned beer floating... I tossed it. Did I do... 39 minutes ago
- › Pulled pork injection question 40 minutes ago
- › New guy from KC, MO area that can't decide on smoker 44 minutes ago
- › Go big or go home. First try at a fatty. 47 minutes ago
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations