How crucial is it to have the correct humidity while dry curing items such as salami and proscuitti. I have an old fridge I am thinking of turning into a curing chamber but I am not sure how to control the humidity in it. I would assume the humidity would be lower then most recipes recommend. Would there be any health threats?
- categoryCuringtagged by Venture, 10/31/13
Related Forum Threads
- 1st cornned Beef Last post on 11/20/13 at 6:37pm in Smoke Houses
- Dry curing the old fashioned way without electricity?? Last post on 11/8/13 at 6:21am in Curing
- Corned Beef Brine Last post on 3/12/14 at 7:46am in Beef
- Rookie at dry curing...... Last post on 10/30/13 at 10:09am in Pork
- Calculating bacon cure time using Morton® Tender Quick® or Sugar Cure® (Plain or... Last post on 9/21/15 at 2:47pm in Curing
Making Your Own Curing Salts
Last edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
If you want a serious thermometer, this is for you. It comes with 2 meat probes & one air probe, also included is a USB charger. It also has an auxiliary plug that I don't know what it is for, but...
Got this for convenience and the ease of smoking at tailgates or events without pulling the stick burner. Smoked several meals on it now. While I was assembling the smoker, i saw the wood chip tray...
If you ever wanted to make sausage and jerky this is the book that will get you started. Easy step-by-step instructions show you how to bone out a deer for sausage and jerky. Also includes both...
I know it's bad form to be underwhelmed by this book, but am I the only one who actually read it? There are duplicated parts, there is no discernible order to it, and it is mostly aimed at people...
I received this smoker as a gift - it's the 30" model. I read in the forums here about some mods to improve functionality and I did them: installed a base and casters, added some insulation around...
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And Process
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Above is a chart of brine solutions that will give you humidities for what you are processing....
Low humidities will cause a skin to form on the outside of the meat and not allow for proper drying.... Causing the meat to spoil later in time....
I think potassium chloride is "Lite Salt" that is available at all grocery stores... It may not give the same results as pure potassium chloride, as it has fillers and stuff in it.... You may have to purchase the good stuff on line.....
Izzie, morning..... the saturated salt solution, of your choice, goes inside the curing chamber, set at the appropriate temperature.... Your curing chamber should have a very small fan for air circulation.....
Now the curing chamber is at the specified Relative Humidity.... It's Physics.....
If your fridge has the cooling coils exposed to the interior air, humidity will collect as ice/frost, on the refrigeration plates...... That will lower the humidity in the refer.... the salt solution will give up water to equilibrate the interior of the fridge..... distilled water will have to be added to the "brine" periodically as it evaporates..... If you add "tap water" to the brine, the salt solution will change RH% control.... This is probably a moot point but ...... necessary so you understand the process so it is done properly...
- Curing Humidity
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › French dip 22 seconds ago
- › Gyros 6 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt 30 - Should I leave it plugged in? 11 minutes ago
- › Biltong Box Schematics / Scrawl :) 29 minutes ago
- › First Pork Belly Bacon, Used LEM's Jalapeno Bacon Cure Seasoning, ... 31 minutes ago
- › Smoked...then sous vide...pork butt experiment 46 minutes ago
- › Sausage fest 2017 46 minutes ago
- › Cant decide on which smoker to get. 49 minutes ago
- › Brisket Sandwich 49 minutes ago
- › SMOKED MEATLOAF w/ my new FIREBOARD REMOTE THERMOMETER 52 minutes ago
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › Masterbuilt Two Door Propane Smoker by JASinIL2006
- › Outdoor Leisure Products Smoke Hollow 38202G by csparrazza
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by mikeg1218
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by fivebadgers
- › GMG by Kirby27
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by racecar1439
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine