How crucial is it to have the correct humidity while dry curing items such as salami and proscuitti. I have an old fridge I am thinking of turning into a curing chamber but I am not sure how to control the humidity in it. I would assume the humidity would be lower then most recipes recommend. Would there be any health threats?
- categoryCuringtagged by Venture, 10/31/13
Related Forum Threads
- 1st cornned Beef Last post on 11/20/13 at 6:37pm in Smoke Houses
- Dry curing the old fashioned way without electricity?? Last post on 11/8/13 at 6:21am in Curing
- Corned Beef Brine Last post on 3/12/14 at 7:46am in Beef
- Rookie at dry curing...... Last post on 10/30/13 at 10:09am in Pork
- Calculating bacon cure time using Morton® Tender Quick® or Sugar Cure® (Plain or... Last post on 9/21/15 at 2:47pm in Curing
Making Your Own Curing Salts
Last edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
I've had my RecTec 680 for about three weeks or so. I've already cooked on it about 10 times I imagine. I've got baby backs smoking on it right now. This smoker is worth every penny you'll pay for...
I got this because smoking on my Weber kettle gets a little crowded. In stock form, this thing would probably be pretty useless. I was able to mod it with very little extra money because I...
after my seasoning run and 1st smoking session, I had to alter the unit..closed firebox to chamber up some and added a 3/16 plate deflector on top of it so heat and smoke ran more directly into...
Smoker is everything you need as a novice or pro. I converted my smoker to natural gas. Extremely easy conversion explained by the company on their website. Bought the #51 drill bit at Ace Hardware...
I was on a waiting list to get my Timberline 1300. Now having owned it 6 weeks, It has become a $2000 paperweight that occupies space on my deck. Avoid this grill, Traeger likes to tout their world...
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And Process
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Above is a chart of brine solutions that will give you humidities for what you are processing....
Low humidities will cause a skin to form on the outside of the meat and not allow for proper drying.... Causing the meat to spoil later in time....
I think potassium chloride is "Lite Salt" that is available at all grocery stores... It may not give the same results as pure potassium chloride, as it has fillers and stuff in it.... You may have to purchase the good stuff on line.....
Izzie, morning..... the saturated salt solution, of your choice, goes inside the curing chamber, set at the appropriate temperature.... Your curing chamber should have a very small fan for air circulation.....
Now the curing chamber is at the specified Relative Humidity.... It's Physics.....
If your fridge has the cooling coils exposed to the interior air, humidity will collect as ice/frost, on the refrigeration plates...... That will lower the humidity in the refer.... the salt solution will give up water to equilibrate the interior of the fridge..... distilled water will have to be added to the "brine" periodically as it evaporates..... If you add "tap water" to the brine, the salt solution will change RH% control.... This is probably a moot point but ...... necessary so you understand the process so it is done properly...
- Curing Humidity
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › My take on the mailbox mod 4 minutes ago
- › How easily should pellets burn in AMNPS? 4 minutes ago
- › Chuck Eye Steak ‘n Twice Baked Potato 10 minutes ago
- › Finally—-Eye Round in the SV (Fork Tender!!) 19 minutes ago
- › Spinning for the first time! 19 minutes ago
- › Separated brisket. 23 minutes ago
- › Neighbors ever complain about smoke??? 25 minutes ago
- › Results of removing some mods, for stick burning. 29 minutes ago
- › First Charcuterie Done !! 37 minutes ago
- › Meat Curing Chamber Question 37 minutes ago
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Kingsford 30520 Competition Briquets, 11.1-Pound Bag by SenseiRogue
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by jdkimbro
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ