How crucial is it to have the correct humidity while dry curing items such as salami and proscuitti. I have an old fridge I am thinking of turning into a curing chamber but I am not sure how to control the humidity in it. I would assume the humidity would be lower then most recipes recommend. Would there be any health threats?
- categoryCuringtagged by Venture, 10/31/13
Related Forum Threads
- 1st cornned Beef Last post on 11/20/13 at 6:37pm in Smoke Houses
- Dry curing the old fashioned way without electricity?? Last post on 11/8/13 at 6:21am in Curing
- Corned Beef Brine Last post on 3/12/14 at 7:46am in Beef
- Rookie at dry curing...... Last post on 10/30/13 at 10:09am in Pork
- Calculating bacon cure time using Morton® Tender Quick® or Sugar Cure® (Plain or... Last post on 9/21/15 at 2:47pm in Curing
Making Your Own Curing Salts
Last edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
This is my first smoker and I've had some great success with it already. It was pretty easy to get some good results even on my first runs. I switched from chips to chunks for the wood and it...
Wanted a decent electric smoker that was almost setup, start and let it do its job with miminal intervention! Is it perfect no but as I live in Scotland weather is a challenge at times so had a...
Simply the best. The Bentley of all grills and it's the only ceramic grill made in the USA. The 400XL will smoke two 20 pound turkeys.
The smoker came packaged very nicely and easy to assemble. The construction of it is pretty solid. I have used it twice so far and both times the smoker itself was good. I did put on a gasket...
I started out on a friends Traegar at work and made the decision to get a pellet smoker, I researched for awhile and was leaning towards the Green Mountain Grill line, I went and checked them out...
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And Process
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Above is a chart of brine solutions that will give you humidities for what you are processing....
Low humidities will cause a skin to form on the outside of the meat and not allow for proper drying.... Causing the meat to spoil later in time....
I think potassium chloride is "Lite Salt" that is available at all grocery stores... It may not give the same results as pure potassium chloride, as it has fillers and stuff in it.... You may have to purchase the good stuff on line.....
Izzie, morning..... the saturated salt solution, of your choice, goes inside the curing chamber, set at the appropriate temperature.... Your curing chamber should have a very small fan for air circulation.....
Now the curing chamber is at the specified Relative Humidity.... It's Physics.....
If your fridge has the cooling coils exposed to the interior air, humidity will collect as ice/frost, on the refrigeration plates...... That will lower the humidity in the refer.... the salt solution will give up water to equilibrate the interior of the fridge..... distilled water will have to be added to the "brine" periodically as it evaporates..... If you add "tap water" to the brine, the salt solution will change RH% control.... This is probably a moot point but ...... necessary so you understand the process so it is done properly...
- Curing Humidity
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Canadian bacon - dry brine 10 seconds ago
- › Backwoods Chubby 3400? Or a Chubby? 12 seconds ago
- › New guy from Ohio 2 minutes ago
- › That's a lot of butt! 3 minutes ago
- › Kingsford Briquettes vs. Royal Oak Ridge Briquettes: Burn... 6 minutes ago
- › CC to FB calculations are beyond me. 12 minutes ago
- › My 6 year old's First Attempt at Smoking Baby Backs 13 minutes ago
- › brisket price per lb 15 minutes ago
- › New to SMF 37 minutes ago
- › Smoked Trout 39 minutes ago
- › Grill Pro 31846 Propane Smoker by samwise
- › Bradley BTIS1 Original Fully Automatic 4-Rack Outdoor Food Smoker by ScotTex
- › Primo Oval XL Ceramic Grill by ZombieKitty
- › DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker by Tragusa113
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by AB Canuck
- › Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler, 700 sq. in. by BDawg
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Submariner
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by ednosnaws
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...