- 14 Posts. Joined 10/2013
- Location: Ravenna, Michigan
- Points: 10
- Select All Posts By This User
- topicHealth And Safetytagged by Venture, 10/31/13
Overview Understanding Propane Gas Systems
Last edited: 4/29/11
- Usda Food Temp GuildlineLast edited: 10/29/10
- Lower Your Salt IntakeLast edited: 9/26/10
- Risk Factors For StrokesLast edited: 9/5/10
- Food Safety Low And Slow DiscussionLast edited: 9/3/10
I've had my Daniel Boone for 3 years or so. Smoked countless briskets, pork butts, turkey, tri tip, prime ribs, summer sausage, pepperoni, brats, jerky, fish....the list goes on and on. Always has...
I have A 5x8 Smoke Box, And A Twelve inch Smoke Tube. Stop By A-maze-n Store Today To Pick Up Thermometer. And Todd Took Care Of Me, He is Excellent to work with, even sent me home with some free...
I bought this unit because I was tired of the cheap thermometers at the store. Little did I realize what an improvement this was going to be. The oven probe showed that my smoker was 23 degrees...
Ive ground and mixed 60 + pounds of meat so far in 20-25 lbs batches. 1st, it does a much better job than I did manually with out over working the meat. I need to work on my setup a bit to make the...
So I purchased a GMG Jim Bowie prior to owning my Blaz'n Grill GridIron. I had problems from the start and eventually sold it after owning it for a little over 3 months. I paid more than double for...
Cold smoking already cooked sausage?post #1 of 910/29/13 at 1:56pmThread StarterHello everyone, I just purchased a couple pounds of roasted sausage from my butcher and it taste great but needs a little smoke flavor. My question is can I cold smoke the sausage and then heat it up when I want a snack to munch on? I want to avoid warming it up too many times. Will the meat absorb any cold smoke flavor or does it need to be warmed as it smokes?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 910/29/13 at 2:45pm
Chef Jimmy would be your go to guy on this one.
Personally, I would not do it. Even cooked meat or any leftover food has a limited shelf life in the 40 to 140 zone.
Good luck and good smoking.post #3 of 910/29/13 at 3:31pmThread Starterpost #4 of 910/30/13 at 2:49pmpost #5 of 910/31/13 at 7:58amHey SmokingB,
Yeah sometimes on this forum you gotta specify that we live in the winter wonderland. There's a lot of folks who are still seeing 80's and 90's right now.
Anyhoo, As long as the sausage stays below 40 degrees you should be fine. Put an hour of smoke on them and that should be enough to bump up the flavor. If not, you now know for next time.post #6 of 910/31/13 at 9:33am
If the temp in the smoker can be kept below 40°F, you can smoke that sausage for hours or even days until you reach the desired flavor. Any smoker temp between 40° and 80°F you can only smoke for 2 hours before chilling as quickly as possible. If you will have any of it over 5 days Vac-Pac or wrap well and freeze it...JJpost #7 of 911/1/13 at 5:51amThread StarterThanks for the advice. One lucky thing about living in the north is the fall temperatures. As for the smoker I use, I got the master built 30 electric smoker and the cold smoke conversion kit. I modified this rig by adding 6 feet of stove pipe between the smoker and the cold smoke box. The smoke cools down after about 3 feet so the added length is over kill, but it works so why mess with it.post #8 of 911/1/13 at 7:07ampost #9 of 911/1/13 at 10:42am
Hi Brandon, and welcome to SMF! If you would be so kind as to put your location in your profile, others will know what area you are in and can advise you properly! Thank you so much!
- Cold smoking already cooked sausage?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Usda Food Temp Guildline
- › Pulled Pork Summer Sausage 9 minutes ago
- › Homemade Smoker 11 minutes ago
- › smoking hams from hog #4 13 minutes ago
- › Spatchcock 14 minutes ago
- › Smokin Al's "Judy's buns" 18 minutes ago
- › SOUS VIDE PASTRAMI, A FIRST FOR ME! 23 minutes ago
- › Why one should learn to control their smoke when smoking cheese or... 31 minutes ago
- › Venison Backstrap 32 minutes ago
- › Mojama 45 minutes ago
- › Is this smoker worth it? 47 minutes ago
- › GMG by Kirby27
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by racecar1439
- › Maverick ET-732 Remote Check Wireless Thermometer With 2 Probes by MyOwnIdaho
- › 7-Gal. Mixer Attachment with Tilt by TripleQ
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by FBI Van Outside
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by miked945
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Vajinyan
- › Slow 'N Sear by ammaturesmoker
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Dabnet795
- › Char Broil Offset Smoker American Gourmet Deluxe Grill by Face
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine
- › Seasonings & Marinades
- › Tying a Butcher's Knot