We are just getting started with smoking. We live in Streetman, TX -- about 2 hours south of Dallas. We are big college football fans, and with the fall weather and being outside and at ball games, etc -- smoking sound like a good time!! Hopefully, over time it will be relaxing.
We love to cook all kinds of foods and all kinds of ways (grill, rotisserie, indoor dutch oven, shrimp boils, etc). We have been reading on the forum for a month or so now and have purchased a smoker and some accessories. So far the forum and Jeff's "Smoking Meat" cookbook have been invaluable.
So here is what we have purchased so far -- we have been seeing our UPS man A LOT recently:
- Landmann GOSM 3895GWLA -- it is the 38" tall with the wide body and 2 drawers at the bottom (1 for wood box, 1 for water)
- Maverick ET732 thermometer with remote
- Thermoworks Thermapen
- Rib rack
- Various wood chips and pellets (hickory, peach, apple, oak)
- Have a A-Maze-N tube and pellets on order -- very excited about the potential for this one !!
We got the smoker last Friday, got it put together and did an initial smoke to season it. We did an initial cook over the weekend. For our first time, things turned out all okay and we learned a TON cooking:
- Chicken legs brined then dry rubbed
- Chicken legs injected with Hooters wing sauce
- Country style ribs brined with Dr. Pepper/Salt then dry rubbed
We have some questions on the temperature for our GOSM at the various knob settings (e.g. Low, Medium, High).... and will place a separate post to get some feedback.
Thanks in advance for all the terrific insight from the forum members!!
P.S. -- I grew up in Oklahoma and went to school at Oklahoma State -- GO POKES !!