I have a new 55 gallon drum. Do you still have to do a burn out or can you just season it. What about the painted outside of the drum, does that have to be repainted with high heat paint.
- topicDrum Smokertagged by Venture, 10/30/13
This is my first smoker and I've had some great success with it already. It was pretty easy to get some good results even on my first runs. I switched from chips to chunks for the wood and it...
Wanted a decent electric smoker that was almost setup, start and let it do its job with miminal intervention! Is it perfect no but as I live in Scotland weather is a challenge at times so had a...
Simply the best. The Bentley of all grills and it's the only ceramic grill made in the USA. The 400XL will smoke two 20 pound turkeys.
The smoker came packaged very nicely and easy to assemble. The construction of it is pretty solid. I have used it twice so far and both times the smoker itself was good. I did put on a gasket...
I started out on a friends Traegar at work and made the decision to get a pellet smoker, I researched for awhile and was leaning towards the Green Mountain Grill line, I went and checked them out...
Burn out of new drum.
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
If it is bare steel inside then no burn out is needed just season it.
I painted mine with 1200 degree paint but I did a burn out.
I would think standard paint should hold up.
i just decided to paint mine with 500 degree paint. the outside really doesnt get that hot. when i did my seasoning a few days ago the lid was the hottest feeling part of the whole thing.
YES I would watch what chemicals were in it. Might not be safe even after the burn????
Most say that the burn out will make any barrel safe.
My barrel was unlined and used to store aluminium shaving in, which I am sure had some chemical on them.
If you choose to use the chem barrel. . I would sandblast if thats an option for ya... and give a good burn.. or vise versus... just incase. . Its you and your fam/friends body eating whats cooked.. safer is better.. IMHO..
- Burn out of new drum.
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Opinions on first burn and seasoning a smoker for the first time? 1 minute ago
- › Sausage making question.... 4 minutes ago
- › Old Family Sage sausage Recipe 9 minutes ago
- › (newbie) Trying to figure out this whole charcoal thing 11 minutes ago
- › wood in the cook chamber 11 minutes ago
- › MES won't heat to set temp 14 minutes ago
- › Costco bonless pork shoulder 16 minutes ago
- › Anyone ever order from? 27 minutes ago
- › Aftermarket "Waterproof" Maverick/Ivation/RediChek Replacement Probes 57 minutes ago
- › Bresola, and Bear's Eye round Sous Vide project 58 minutes ago
- › Grill Pro 31846 Propane Smoker by samwise
- › Bradley BTIS1 Original Fully Automatic 4-Rack Outdoor Food Smoker by ScotTex
- › Primo Oval XL Ceramic Grill by ZombieKitty
- › DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker by Tragusa113
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by AB Canuck
- › Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler, 700 sq. in. by BDawg
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Submariner
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by ednosnaws
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...