or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Hungarian Bratwurst
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hungarian Bratwurst - Page 2

post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Willie View Post
 

He mentioned this recipe came from his friends parents by way of the grandparents who escaped from Europe during WWII and came to the US.....Willie

 

My friend's father has talked about a certain sausage he would eat when stationed in Germany. He said he doesn't know the name of them they just called them reds. I am hoping this is the style he had over there.

 

Last question hopefully. The original post states grind through 5/8" Plate then 3/8" plate. What plate did you use? I don't have a 3/8" plate and Cabela's doesn't make a 5/8" plate for my grinder that I know of.

post #22 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDWOOD CARLOS View Post
 

 

My friend's father has talked about a certain sausage he would eat when stationed in Germany. He said he doesn't know the name of them they just called them reds. I am hoping this is the style he had over there.

 

Last question hopefully. The original post states grind through 5/8" Plate then 3/8" plate. What plate did you use? I don't have a 3/8" plate and Cabela's doesn't make a 5/8" plate for my grinder that I know of.

I did a single grind through the 3/8's plate. I use a Kitchen Aid grinder attachment and it only has 2 plates & they call them 'large & small' so I believe it's 3/8's. The meat was very cold so I got away with the short cut. I, personally, would just use the one you got and have it a tad chunkier, which many prefer. After cooking the texture on mine is very fine...much like a commercially produced product. No complaints, just an observation....some larger pieces of pork in the casing might make it look more 'home made' IMO.....Funny about your friends father...it seems every grunt stationed there had a 'special' sausage they loved and no one can remember the name....LOL. Vendors would sell them on train stations, going up & down the platform and passing them through the windows to patrons. Outstanding on a brotchen roll with thinly sliced onions just wrapped in a piece of paper......Willie

post #23 of 27
I am sorry too come late to this party but ecstatic that I found it. I have been doing research for my first brats. I love paprika and have bookmarked this. Thanks to you and the original poster!

Disco
post #24 of 27

I'll be trying this one out tonight, hope to have some pics to show tomorrow.

post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribwizzard View Post
 

I'll be trying this one out tonight, hope to have some pics to show tomorrow.

 

I've got 10+ pounds ready for stuffing when I get off work.

 

Might have the arrival of my first grandchild delay those plans though.

post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDWOOD CARLOS View Post
 

 

I've got 10+ pounds ready for stuffing when I get off work.

 

Might have the arrival of my first grandchild delay those plans though.

First Granchild delaying a project? Get your priorities straight.

 

Just kidding. Congratulations.

post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
 

First Granchild delaying a project? Get your priorities straight.

 

Just kidding. Congratulations.

I could't have put it better.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Hungarian Bratwurst