OK, I'm a long time lurker....
I have a MES 40 that I've been using for about 2yrs. It's worked well for butts and brisket. But it lacks the temp capabilities for birds and baking. I really am just not interested in modifying it. So I'm looking into a nice pellet smoker. Because when we fire up the smoker the whole fam-damnly and all my friends show up. We always manage to put a hurtin on swine and bovine population!!! I swear I think their noses are like a moth's attraction to a porch light...well, except they usually don't bang their heads against the smoker. Anyway....
I've narrowed my choices down to a Yoder 640 and the Rec Tec.
The thing that draws me to the Yoder:
2. Second shelf capabilities
3. 10yr warranty (fire box only) 3yr on everything else.
4. 600F advertised max temp
The things that point me towards the Rec Tec are:
1. 304 Stainless Steel throughout.
2. 6yr warranty bumper to bumper. 30day money back free shipping guarantee (The offer has never been used supposedly).
3. A helluva lot closer to me to travel to actually be face to face with Rec Tec if needed
4. A helluva lot cheaper in price and they offer financing.
I've talked to both of them. Both companies were polite, eager to answer questions. I asked about the temp controllers on the Yoders. They lady I spoke with got the deer in the headlights look (well it sounded like it anyway) and said she needed to point me in another direction to get that answer. Fair enough...the guy ( I have no idea what his name is) answered all of my questions after that.
I guess it really boils down to capacity and sturdiness.