I've been smoking with some different format cookers since the '80s beginning with a Brinkman dome type smoker so I'm not new to the art. I came here late last winter looking for ideas for cold smoking which I had never really dabbled too much until I discovered the tube smoker a buddy had. Since then I've smoked cheese, whole malt for brewing beer, my own bacon, salmon, well you get the idea. Looking forward to others' ideas, and maybe even figuring out some artisan meats I can make, and have followed a few tangents from here already. I'll certainly share the things I've learned or figured out along the way.
- topicCold Smokingtagged by rabbithutch, 10/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- better than masterbuilt? please? Last post on 1/27/16 at 7:59am in Electric Smokers
- new cold smoker Last post on 1/23/14 at 8:42pm in Bacon
- Dedicated whiskey barrel COLD smoker Last post on 1/19/14 at 2:51pm in Cheese
- Masterbuilt cold smoker kit Last post on 4/28/14 at 8:30am in Electric Smokers
- I'm really cold smoking cheese Last post on 12/11/11 at 3:17pm in Cheese
I was able to make half a burger before the press portion of the burger maker broke. Had to finish the burgers using the machine and my hands, pushing manually. Push down handle and clip broke...
I really enjoyed this smoker - It is being retired for a Old Country Pecos
The family got this for me for a birthday gift ( I chose it, they paid for it). I did not get the WIFI version. Got it home, assembled it (easy) and fired it up. The temp would not stabilize, it...
Bought my T. JR 5 years ago at a Costco roadshow. It made for an affordable start in the smoking and pellet cooker space. Easy setup, but on burn-in the controller and fan burned out. ...
Loving the extra room on the LUX. (Bought as Cabela's Magnum) Smoked 3 turkeys (at once) for thanksgiving and for SuperBowl did a 14lb brisket and 8 chicken quarters at the same time. I...
I've been watching here for a few months...
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.
The search bar at the top can be your best friend when you are trying to find answers to your questions but don’t hesitate to start threads and ask also!
We have an ”Articles” section that is full of great information about smoking to include a lot of recipes and instructionals. Check it out there is a lot to learn in there!
to SMF! We are so glad you joined us!
We love to see pictures of what you are cooking (or what we call q-views here at SMF). To "upload the q-views" just follow the directions here and it will be easier. If you are using a cell phone, an IPad or a kindle, go to the main SMF page and click the Mobile button. Will make the uploads a bit faster too.
If you didn't read the "Terms of Service" notes.....please do. There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums and some guidelines of how to interact within the forums. Off site links are not allowed here at SMF per TulsaJeff. Not that you have done anything wrong....just a little bit of FYI for new members!
If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler! Happy to help out!
Yes Gary, little chunks...
I cook for a couple groups of 50 - 75 people a couple times each year. I didn't have the beef on yet in that pic. The hog roaster belongs to my brother (he built it), and he's nice enough to let me use it once in a while! If I could just get him to weld a stainless stand, and help with the electrical controls for my home brewery now...
I haven't seen a hog roaster like that in person since I was 8 or so! Welcome to SMF!
I've been grilling/smoking/etc since I was 7(32 going on 33 now)(hey, running beers to the adults counts, right???) and I have learned so much here in 4 months! I can't remember Algebra anymore, but...pfffttt...who needs math, right? That's why my phone has a calulator!!! Jk! :)
Seriously, welcome from Watertown, TN!!!
There is a 'cold smoking' forum here, if you haven't found it: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/2163/cold-smoking
I've been bumming over there, trying to figure out if I can cold smoke in my Char-Griller (Wife commented that the smoked cheese from Kroger's Deli was her favorite. Like I needed one more thing on my to-do list! lol).
It's your typical Lowe's/Home Depot/etc side fire box offset smoker. 'Char-Griller Smokin' Pro'.
I was thinking like 3 briquettes with some twig sized splits? lol
I can't afford any new toys atp, unfortunately! And here in TN, we won't see lows in the 40's for another month or so (normally). lol
My main issue with 40* is food safety, cheese you should be fine with for several hours at higher temps as long as is doesn't melt... And trust me it will make a mess of the smoker! In my upright box smoker, I didn't see much, if any rise in temp on the 30* & 40* nights I used the tube.
I did that for a while before I realized my ECO liked real wood. But I used a 'church key' to make my holes. And cooked a lot of awesome marinara in the process to get the cans. And was attempting the charcoal/wood chips method. lol
If you attempt the vegetable/food can method, you have to pre-burn the cans to burn off the 'wax' (plastic) lining. ;)
- I've been watching here for a few months...
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Pops6927's Wet Curing Brine 28 minutes ago
- › Green Mountain Grills 2 hours, 23 minutes ago
- › Smoked then Sous Vide Brisket for a southern themed meal... 2 hours, 43 minutes ago
- › Remember Witts Seasoning? 2 hours, 58 minutes ago
- › Oklahoma Joe's vertical, advice needed 3 hours, 18 minutes ago
- › Webber smoking 3 hours, 36 minutes ago
- › Leg Of Lamb !! 3 hours, 49 minutes ago
- › Leggs #114 Beef/Elk 3 hours, 51 minutes ago
- › ThermoPro TP20 any good? 4 hours, 1 minute ago
- › big bacon 4 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations