I've been smoking with some different format cookers since the '80s beginning with a Brinkman dome type smoker so I'm not new to the art. I came here late last winter looking for ideas for cold smoking which I had never really dabbled too much until I discovered the tube smoker a buddy had. Since then I've smoked cheese, whole malt for brewing beer, my own bacon, salmon, well you get the idea. Looking forward to others' ideas, and maybe even figuring out some artisan meats I can make, and have followed a few tangents from here already. I'll certainly share the things I've learned or figured out along the way.
- topicCold Smokingtagged by rabbithutch, 10/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- better than masterbuilt? please? Last post on 1/27/16 at 7:59am in Electric Smokers
- new cold smoker Last post on 1/23/14 at 8:42pm in Bacon
- Dedicated whiskey barrel COLD smoker Last post on 1/19/14 at 2:51pm in Cheese
- Masterbuilt cold smoker kit Last post on 4/28/14 at 8:30am in Electric Smokers
- I'm really cold smoking cheese Last post on 12/11/11 at 3:17pm in Cheese
You won't find these at Wal-Mart!!!
I purchased one of the very early Traeger Lil' Tex models about 20 years ago. It was the first pellet grill I had ever seen and I fell in love instantly. Over time I added a digital thermometer to...
This product will not work in a propane smoker and it is a known defect by Amazen. The gas fire fights with the smoker for the air supply and the smoker usually looses an will not burn. They...
My stock temp gauge after 3 uses was about 50 degrees off. So I ordered this one cause I have seen this one in many videos and pictures. and the rating was good. Had to make the hole bigger to...
I purchased this grill on 5-05-2017-----so I purchased this grill (Tailgater in Blue) from my local ACE hardware and the temps are all over the place, so far I have e-mailed back and forth (3...
I've been watching here for a few months...
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.
The search bar at the top can be your best friend when you are trying to find answers to your questions but don’t hesitate to start threads and ask also!
We have an ”Articles” section that is full of great information about smoking to include a lot of recipes and instructionals. Check it out there is a lot to learn in there!
to SMF! We are so glad you joined us!
We love to see pictures of what you are cooking (or what we call q-views here at SMF). To "upload the q-views" just follow the directions here and it will be easier. If you are using a cell phone, an IPad or a kindle, go to the main SMF page and click the Mobile button. Will make the uploads a bit faster too.
If you didn't read the "Terms of Service" notes.....please do. There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums and some guidelines of how to interact within the forums. Off site links are not allowed here at SMF per TulsaJeff. Not that you have done anything wrong....just a little bit of FYI for new members!
If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler! Happy to help out!
Yes Gary, little chunks...
I cook for a couple groups of 50 - 75 people a couple times each year. I didn't have the beef on yet in that pic. The hog roaster belongs to my brother (he built it), and he's nice enough to let me use it once in a while! If I could just get him to weld a stainless stand, and help with the electrical controls for my home brewery now...
I haven't seen a hog roaster like that in person since I was 8 or so! Welcome to SMF!
I've been grilling/smoking/etc since I was 7(32 going on 33 now)(hey, running beers to the adults counts, right???) and I have learned so much here in 4 months! I can't remember Algebra anymore, but...pfffttt...who needs math, right? That's why my phone has a calulator!!! Jk! :)
Seriously, welcome from Watertown, TN!!!
There is a 'cold smoking' forum here, if you haven't found it: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/2163/cold-smoking
I've been bumming over there, trying to figure out if I can cold smoke in my Char-Griller (Wife commented that the smoked cheese from Kroger's Deli was her favorite. Like I needed one more thing on my to-do list! lol).
It's your typical Lowe's/Home Depot/etc side fire box offset smoker. 'Char-Griller Smokin' Pro'.
I was thinking like 3 briquettes with some twig sized splits? lol
I can't afford any new toys atp, unfortunately! And here in TN, we won't see lows in the 40's for another month or so (normally). lol
My main issue with 40* is food safety, cheese you should be fine with for several hours at higher temps as long as is doesn't melt... And trust me it will make a mess of the smoker! In my upright box smoker, I didn't see much, if any rise in temp on the 30* & 40* nights I used the tube.
I did that for a while before I realized my ECO liked real wood. But I used a 'church key' to make my holes. And cooked a lot of awesome marinara in the process to get the cans. And was attempting the charcoal/wood chips method. lol
If you attempt the vegetable/food can method, you have to pre-burn the cans to burn off the 'wax' (plastic) lining. ;)
- I've been watching here for a few months...
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › What a bummer 1 hour, 49 minutes ago
- › When to start a butt for a party at 4? 1 hour, 53 minutes ago
- › Adding Vent holes to Smoke Hollow propane smoker 1 hour, 55 minutes ago
- › Wood Magazine plans for propane smoker cabinet 2 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › 16" -vs- 20" Offset Smoker Comparison 2 hours, 26 minutes ago
- › Graduation Party 2 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › I've tried everything. White smoke! 2 hours, 43 minutes ago
- › Disrespect for gas smokers 2 hours, 55 minutes ago
- › New Guy - Introduction 3 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › Calculations for reverse flow smoker with 250 gal propane tank 3 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › Old Country Brasos by ammaturesmoker
- › Traeger Lil' Tex Elite Pellet Grill by Gjd53
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by Smokedevil
- › 3 Inch Large Smoker Thermometer by Tragusa113
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by bigdumbjarhead
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by 603Smoker
- › Kingsford 30520 Competition Briquets, 11.1-Pound Bag by daRicksta
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by BC taster
- › Brinkmann Pro Series 4400 by LilyArscott
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by Jarch
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS