I've been smoking with some different format cookers since the '80s beginning with a Brinkman dome type smoker so I'm not new to the art. I came here late last winter looking for ideas for cold smoking which I had never really dabbled too much until I discovered the tube smoker a buddy had. Since then I've smoked cheese, whole malt for brewing beer, my own bacon, salmon, well you get the idea. Looking forward to others' ideas, and maybe even figuring out some artisan meats I can make, and have followed a few tangents from here already. I'll certainly share the things I've learned or figured out along the way.
- topicCold Smokingtagged by rabbithutch, 10/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- better than masterbuilt? please? Last post on 1/27/16 at 7:59am in Electric Smokers
- new cold smoker Last post on 1/23/14 at 8:42pm in Bacon
- Dedicated whiskey barrel COLD smoker Last post on 1/19/14 at 2:51pm in Cheese
- Masterbuilt cold smoker kit Last post on 4/28/14 at 8:30am in Electric Smokers
- I'm really cold smoking cheese Last post on 12/11/11 at 3:17pm in Cheese
I bought the Weber 26.75" grill mainly for the larger grilling area. I have owned Weber's 22.5" grills for over 50 years now, I'm on my 3rd one now, but now needed more grilling area, and the...
Forgive me if I write a lot of drivel, bu this is my first review of a product on this forum: I had gotten a 12" A-maze-n tube and used it to smoke cheese last year (on my old grill), and...
I purchased this smoker to again give smoking a try. I had been a avid meat/fish smoker years ago long before all of the temperature controlled available smokers & temperature monitoring equipment...
I called Lisa from www.vacuumsealersunlimited.com, A nicer more helpful person you wont find. She walked me through the options and helped me select the VP215. This thing is the bomb! I grabbed a...
Bought this at KMart on a special sale and we've had this grill for about five years now and it has held up pretty well except the underside of the grill. The grease pan/tray that leads to the...
I've been watching here for a few months...
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.
The search bar at the top can be your best friend when you are trying to find answers to your questions but don’t hesitate to start threads and ask also!
We have an ”Articles” section that is full of great information about smoking to include a lot of recipes and instructionals. Check it out there is a lot to learn in there!
to SMF! We are so glad you joined us!
We love to see pictures of what you are cooking (or what we call q-views here at SMF). To "upload the q-views" just follow the directions here and it will be easier. If you are using a cell phone, an IPad or a kindle, go to the main SMF page and click the Mobile button. Will make the uploads a bit faster too.
If you didn't read the "Terms of Service" notes.....please do. There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums and some guidelines of how to interact within the forums. Off site links are not allowed here at SMF per TulsaJeff. Not that you have done anything wrong....just a little bit of FYI for new members!
If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler! Happy to help out!
Yes Gary, little chunks...
I cook for a couple groups of 50 - 75 people a couple times each year. I didn't have the beef on yet in that pic. The hog roaster belongs to my brother (he built it), and he's nice enough to let me use it once in a while! If I could just get him to weld a stainless stand, and help with the electrical controls for my home brewery now...
I haven't seen a hog roaster like that in person since I was 8 or so! Welcome to SMF!
I've been grilling/smoking/etc since I was 7(32 going on 33 now)(hey, running beers to the adults counts, right???) and I have learned so much here in 4 months! I can't remember Algebra anymore, but...pfffttt...who needs math, right? That's why my phone has a calulator!!! Jk! :)
Seriously, welcome from Watertown, TN!!!
There is a 'cold smoking' forum here, if you haven't found it: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/2163/cold-smoking
I've been bumming over there, trying to figure out if I can cold smoke in my Char-Griller (Wife commented that the smoked cheese from Kroger's Deli was her favorite. Like I needed one more thing on my to-do list! lol).
It's your typical Lowe's/Home Depot/etc side fire box offset smoker. 'Char-Griller Smokin' Pro'.
I was thinking like 3 briquettes with some twig sized splits? lol
I can't afford any new toys atp, unfortunately! And here in TN, we won't see lows in the 40's for another month or so (normally). lol
My main issue with 40* is food safety, cheese you should be fine with for several hours at higher temps as long as is doesn't melt... And trust me it will make a mess of the smoker! In my upright box smoker, I didn't see much, if any rise in temp on the 30* & 40* nights I used the tube.
I did that for a while before I realized my ECO liked real wood. But I used a 'church key' to make my holes. And cooked a lot of awesome marinara in the process to get the cans. And was attempting the charcoal/wood chips method. lol
If you attempt the vegetable/food can method, you have to pre-burn the cans to burn off the 'wax' (plastic) lining. ;)
- I've been watching here for a few months...
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Need help with a discontinued Cabela Electric Smoker 1 minute ago
- › Venison summer sausage 14 minutes ago
- › Formed bacon 19 minutes ago
- › a maze n smoker questions 22 minutes ago
- › Black Forest Sticks 23 minutes ago
- › Slap Ya Mama Sticks 25 minutes ago
- › Briskets - A Good Read With an Interesting Tidbit Regarding Water Pans 51 minutes ago
- › MES temp variations 1 hour, 25 minutes ago
- › please avoid this 1 hour, 58 minutes ago
- › 14lb Packer Brisket for $8? 2 hours, 37 minutes ago
- › Weber 781001 26.75-Inch One-Touch Gold Charcoal Grill by jesse624
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Mohole15
- › Meco 5031 Charcoal Combo Water Smoker by W2HR
- › VacMaster VP215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer by TripleQ
- › Kenmore 4 burner split lid with sear station and side burner gas grill by Cornman
- › Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill by erikself
- › Bradley Digital 4- Rack Smoker by hoekma
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by WickedPigeon
- › Char-Griller 9040 by Chicken Man 911
- › Masterbuilt 20070213 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Front... by Wilkesctywildma