Ok so first off thanks for all who respond and help me in the process. I am trying to finalize my first smoking pit with modifications I've read help with temp control.
I am using a Brinkman Trailmaster Limited Edition- I have a list of modifications for it
- I sealed the entire thing with Rutland high heat silicone. firebox, connection from pit to box, and chimney..everything
- Sealed the pit and firebox lid with wool gaskets from bbqgaskets.com
- Put the 200lb clamps on either side of the lid
- Charcoal basket made from expanded metal 12x10x6
- Baffle at a 45 degree angle with tuning plates as well. 4-6'' plates..2-3'' plates
Mod's to come-
- Grate level thermometers-2- one on either side of handle
- Chimney extension to grate height
- Opening w/ stopper for thermometer probes
- Stoker system
First questions for the professionals. I am contemplating thermometers. Do I need to install grate height thermometers on the lid if I am going to utilize digital thermometers with grate probes? Everything I have thus far points me towards getting a Maverick ET 733 when they are released in October. If I plan on getting a stoker am I wasting money getting the really nice thermometer as well? What stokers do yall recommend? IQ 210? Am I better off just using the thermometers on the stoker? I have the ability to get some Maverick Et 73's older therms for 15$ a piece. So I figured I could use them in conjuncture with the stoker. Looking for some guidance on this subject. Thank you for the help so far. I purchased and performed all of the modifications based off of information read on these forums so far.