I was thinking about smoking meats as a hobby and I wanted to know which would be the best electric smoker for a beginner. I'm looking within the $50-$200 price range.
I am thinking of the following electric smokers:
1. Brinkmann Electric Gourmet Smoker
2. Brinkmann Smoke 'N Grill with Electric Smokeshop Converter
3. Char-Broil Big Easy 2-in-1 Electric Smoker
4. Char-Broil 30" Vertical Electric Smoker
5. Landmann Smoky Mountain Smoker
6. Masterbuilt Analog Electric Smoker
7. Meco Charcoal/Electric Smoker
8. Master Forge 27.9-in 1500-Watt Matte Black Electric Vertical Smoker
9. Big Chief Electric Smoker
10. Old Smokey Electric Smoker
11. Other (Please specify)
I think all but the first two and the Big Chief have temperature controls.
Another idea is to get a Backyard Traditions Smoker sold by Fred's Dollar Store and add a Brinkmann or Meco electric converter kit.. It combines the structure of the Brinkmann Gourmet Smoker with the smoking vents of the Weber Smokey Mountain Grill/Smoker (chimney vent with adjusting dial on top of lid and three vents on the bottom). It also has a detailed temperature dial and sausage/meat hooks on it. I am also considering the Big Chief electric smoker and the Old Smokey Electric Smoker.
I like the Big Easy but some have criticized it for its small size.
Any comments, suggestions, or ideas are welcome.
Edited by Jaybird1103 - 10/2/13 at 6:43am